Is 3.5" the right bet for 37s?

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I see a lot of JLURs getting like the 2" Mopar spring lift and clearing 37x12.50s, does that sound about right?

My JLUSS doesn't have the HL fenders so I am thinking about a 3.5" lift (e.g. from Rough Country). This includes a new driveshaft which can work properly at full droop. With the right offset on the new wheels, it seems like it should work, right?

I suppose worst case is I upgrade to HL or flat fenders, or remove them, but then would I wish I had the 2" or even a 2.5" lift, for the lower CG?

I want to be able to wheel, and not worry about fitment/rubbing. Not looking for 100% perfect at full articulation, but want to keep it sane.. What do you guys think?
Sponsored

OP
OP
IPvFletch

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS

arcticaaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
3.5 all the way. A bit more ground clearance and room for tires. When you load up for a weekend or weeklong camping trip you’ll be glad you have the extra space since it will settle an inch or so loaded down.

Here is mine with Evo 3.5” and some camping gear in the back.

72F12C33-B475-42F8-B389-E167FF738CC1.jpeg

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I see a lot of JLURs getting like the 2" Mopar spring lift and clearing 37x12.50s, does that sound about right?

My JLUSS doesn't have the HL fenders so I am thinking about a 3.5" lift (e.g. from Rough Country). This includes a new driveshaft which can work properly at full droop. With the right offset on the new wheels, it seems like it should work, right?

I suppose worst case is I upgrade to HL or flat fenders, or remove them, but then would I wish I had the 2" or even a 2.5" lift, for the lower CG?

I want to be able to wheel, and not worry about fitment/rubbing. Not looking for 100% perfect at full articulation, but want to keep it sane.. What do you guys think?
Without the High Line fenders I think 3.5" is perfect for 35's. With 37's and 3.5" lift on my Rubi I found that the 3" bumpstops I was using still were not enough(with my offset wheels) to keep the tires from touching the fenders under articulation. I typically don't like to run taller bumpstops than my lift height, but I think that the extra .5" would have done the trick. My wife has the @Rough Country Suspensions 3.5" spring(She loves the ride btw) and IMO it's perfect with her 35's and standard sport fenders.
She will get 37s once a set of fenders come out that I like and she can have my highline fenders.

OP
OP
IPvFletch

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Thanks Aaron, and Chris - good insights!! I think 3.5" or maybe 4" is all I feel comfortable going lift-wise, so it's going to have to do. I will probably also do the new fender thing once some more options are out. Good to hear about the RC 3.5" being a good ride.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IPvFletch

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS

arcticaaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This kit (SkyJacker: https://www.cjponyparts.com/skyjack...ort-sahara-jeep-wrangler-jl-2018/p/JL40BPMLT/) says it fits 37s full articulation (and 38s on street). But it doesn't have a front driveshaft, like the RC kit. Does it not need it? RC claims any 3.5" or higher lift needs it to prevent driveshaft damage at full droop. Why doesn't SkyJacker advise of this, or is it just some sales BS from RC?
From what I can tell, 3.5" is borderline on needing a new driveshaft and if you have long shocks for max droop then you can damage the driveshaft. For now I'm running shocks for a 2.5" lift (Falcon shocks) and haven't had or seen any issues.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
This kit (SkyJacker: https://www.cjponyparts.com/skyjack...ort-sahara-jeep-wrangler-jl-2018/p/JL40BPMLT/) says it fits 37s full articulation (and 38s on street). But it doesn't have a front driveshaft, like the RC kit. Does it not need it? RC claims any 3.5" or higher lift needs it to prevent driveshaft damage at full droop. Why doesn't SkyJacker advise of this, or is it just some sales BS from RC?
The 37's at full articulation is a little misleading. When I had 37's I could not get to full articulation without fear of ripping my fenders off. Now that could be due to the offset of my wheels, but I think I would have needed at least an additional .5" bumpstops front/rear to clear properly.
The driveshaft boot(Plastic portion) will rip at full extension offroad(Did on mine the first time out), and I'm sure the rubber portion of the flex joint will go shortly after. Now they use some really long shocks in that kit compared to say the Mopar kit which nets you nearly the same height even though being advertised at 2".
I'm currently running 40's on those springs and for daily driving it works, but the lower portion of the fenders/liners will be coming off in the very near future.

These pictures are not at 100% articulation. I stopped going up with the forklift when the tire made contact with the fender.
DSC_0938.jpg
1.jpg

OP
OP
IPvFletch

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
You are saying the Mopar 2" is more like 3.5" lift? I'm confident it's more than 2", but.. that's a wide gap..

I wonder if x12.50 will be more forgiving? What offset do you have on those 17s?

And, uhh, where the hell are pics of the 40s!!! :clap:

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
You are saying the Mopar 2" is more like 3.5" lift? I'm confident it's more than 2", but.. that's a wide gap..

I wonder if x12.50 will be more forgiving? What offset do you have on those 17s?

And, uhh, where the hell are pics of the 40s!!! :clap:
The Mopar lift was a good bit higher than my RC 2.5" spacer lift I had at the time. I had it parked next to a customers Mopar lift with 35's, and if I remember correctly it was about the same height as my 2.5" RC Spacer lift and 37's(Which is exactly 2.5" front/2" Rear.) I think it's closer to 3-3.25" without any other weight added.
Here are my 40's
40s-3.jpg

OP
OP
IPvFletch

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Well the 37s put your rig 1" taller than 35s will, remember.. :)

Damn those 40s look so good!!!!!! Why am I not getting 40s.... surely there is a good reason but I can't find it!!!! :rock:

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Well the 37s put your rig 1" taller than 35s will, remember.. :)

Damn those 40s look so good!!!!!! Why am I not getting 40s.... surely there is a good reason but I can't find it!!!! :rock:
That's why at 1" taller with the 2.5" lift he was probably closer to 3-3.5" with his mopar lift and 35's.
Right now the only good reason to not go 40's is nobody knows the strength of the axles, that and you need gears for sure.

OP
OP
IPvFletch

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Well thanks for being a pioneer and thanks for all of the data-points/feedback on this stuff. Do you do all your work yourself or live like next to a shop? I don't have the right tools for these projects or I'd be experimenting more too..

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Well thanks for being a pioneer and thanks for all of the data-points/feedback on this stuff. Do you do all your work yourself or live like next to a shop? I don't have the right tools for these projects or I'd be experimenting more too..
I've had 4 JK's, so not exactly a pioneer... I just want to get my JL to where my JK's were ASAP.
I'm happy to help anyone I can with things I've learned along the way.
I have a shop where we work on all sorts of luxury/sports cars and when I have the opportunity Jeeps. They are my passion, and what I prioritize over the rest.
Tools are not an issue for me, product availability for the JL is(I'm not the most patient person:angry:)
I really wish I was more into fabrication....
Sponsored