First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy's Diesel 4 door Sarge Green
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hey Gang.. I have an iPad Pro 9.7 inch which is a few years old.. maybe 5 or so? I took it on a trip up north with Gaia GPS loaded on it.. and I noticed that the charging can't keep up with usage. The little lightening bolt shows up to show it's charging.. but it still slowly losses it's charge. I've tried plugging it into the USB Port under the Media cover in the dash, as well as the one under the arm rest in the center console. Neither one seems to be able to keep up with charging. It does charge fine while at home and plugged into an outlet. Is this typical of an iPad in a Jeep? Or does this seem that maybe it's time for a new device as this one is quite a few years old...

On a side note, love Gaia GPS on a tablet in the vehicle! :)

Thanks!
Sponsored

DarthDug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
I have noticed similar issues with iPhones.

What I have found is i cannot start jeep and immediately put it in drive or reverse before the system boots up. If I do the jeep does not recognize anything attached to USB ports. I then have to pull the fuses or do a full reboot through my Tazer Mini to get USB back again.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Thereis a limit to how much power is supplied by the usb ports in the jeep. (Cannot remember exactly, but believe it is .5A)

i always install my own 12 DC to 5V USB charge cable. They are cheap, and the type i currently use in most of my vehicles support 3 Amps. (Here is an example of one i have used)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6W1BZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you could also simply use an adapter in the 12v socket in the dash, but again, make sure you choose a 12v to usb adapter that puts out enough power. If you have an older adapter it can also be limited in power.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
The iPad Pro takes a significant amount of juice to charge it. My wife had one, and it wouldn't charge well on a normal USB port either. Not sure if the USB-C port on the front panel is a higher current port than the USB-A or not, but maybe if you had a USB-C to Lightning cable that would work better?

Sponsored

OP
OP
davers

davers

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Would something like this work? Plugging it in to my "cigarette" lighter...

Car USB Charger

OP
OP
davers

davers

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Ok, I ordered this one because I like the lower profile:

Car charger

I'll update here when I'm able to test it...

Thanks everyone for the input!!

Sponsored

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
This is because the iPad needs more power than the usb in the Jeep can supply. You may notice that the iPad cannot charge through a laptop usb and needs to be charged on the wall outlet.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Thereis a limit to how much power is supplied by the usb ports in the jeep. (Cannot remember exactly, but believe it is .5A)

i always install my own 12 DC to 5V USB charge cable. They are cheap, and the type i currently use in most of my vehicles support 3 Amps. (Here is an example of one i have used)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6W1BZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you could also simply use an adapter in the 12v socket in the dash, but again, make sure you choose a 12v to usb adapter that puts out enough power. If you have an older adapter it can also be limited in power.
Thanks for the Link that was a quick buy it now for 2 packs of 2.

I wonder if there is a way to replace the low power usb's with something more robust. Someone should make a plug and play kit. There's a great idea!!

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Happy to help.

the existing usb connect to the radio. The radio usb ports give the power. No way that i am aware of to boost the power to the usb ports from the radio.

now, if you didnt care about connecting to the radio, you could unplug the usb connections at the back of the radio, and connect them to more powerful 12v to 5v usb converters. This would allow you to use the factory ports on the dash for full power charging.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Happy to help.

the existing usb connect to the radio. The radio usb ports give the power. No way that i am aware of to boost the power to the usb ports from the radio.

now, if you didnt care about connecting to the radio, you could unplug the usb connections at the back of the radio, and connect them to more powerful 12v to 5v usb converters. This would allow you to use the factory ports on the dash for full power charging.
I'm going to be swapping out the 8" oem for a Insane Audio 9" head unit so while I have her opened up I'll do some looking around so I don't pigeon hole myself.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have to use the cigarette lighter adapter for my iPad mini 4 too. It slowly loses juice because the USB-A port built into the dash isn't quite enough.
Sponsored