iPad for GPS????

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
I've ben thinking about using an iPad w/ cellular for GPS. I have 2 questions:
  1. Can someone confirm that the IPad with cellular has GPS even without cellular reception?
  2. Which app/software is the best?

Thank you so much for your help,
Todd
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Wait, you’re saying location services work without an active paid service contract with the cell carrier?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Wait, you’re saying location services work without an active paid service contract with the cell carrier?
I'm not sure about location services because I don't know what all that entails. Sounds like that probably needs either WIFI or cellular if using stuff like "find my ipad"

All Gaia needs to work is access to the GPS antenna in the iPad.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brew211

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
so does the GPS antenna need cell service or is that independent of wifi and cellular?

I stopped into an Apple store last week and they couldn't give me a solid answer.

Scrappy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Naval Flight Officer
The GPS antenna should be all you need. I fly for the Navy and we use Ipads as back up navigation in some cases and they work great in the middle of the ocean so being a few miles into the woods should be no problem.

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just used my iPad in Colorado during my trip, had cellular turned off with location services on, uses the gps built in to the iPad, worked great, just have to make sure your maps are downloaded ahead of time. I used Gaia gps, I definitely recommend the app.

OP
OP
Brew211

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just used my iPad in Colorado during my trip, had cellular turned off with location services on, uses the gps built in to the iPad, worked great, just have to make sure your maps are downloaded ahead of time. I used Gaia gps, I definitely recommend the app.
Perfect, thank you

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I don’t know about iPads today but a couple of years ago the GPS antenna, I think, was only in the cellular model. You didn’t need to activate the cellular contract but you needed the cellular model. I seem to remember that The basic iPad didn’t have the GPS antenna. Anyone know if it does today?

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
I don't think they do. I have the latest iPad Mini 5 without the cellular service and pair Garmin GLO GPS receiver for navigation. I use both Google Street Maps and GAIA, but mostly Google Maps. As mentioned before, the maps must be downloaded beforehand over a wi-fi connection. I have also noticed that Google Maps work on the 7" screen using Android Auto, but I'm not sure how well as I've not tested it at length.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I would recommend an iPad Pro for navigation. The GPS antennae is much better than the regular “amateur” iPad.

And as someone already mentioned, download the maps before you leave.

Happy_Camper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JL
I don’t know about iPads today but a couple of years ago the GPS antenna, I think, was only in the cellular model. You didn’t need to activate the cellular contract but you needed the cellular model. I seem to remember that The basic iPad didn’t have the GPS antenna. Anyone know if it does today?
Just having a iPad with cellular does not mean the cellular needs to be ac
Correct, basic iPad does not have GPS antenna. The Cellular iPad does. You do not need a cellular plan/cellular activated or cellular turn on in order to use the GPS.

MUD-H2O

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR 3.6L 6-Speed
Occupation
Web Developer
I bought an iPad to specifically use for GPS and used the GAIA GPS app to find trails and dispersed camping areas not covered by Google or other services.

While the GPS antennae worked with no cell service, the app could not load new map tiles without that cell connection. So I had to pre-download maps using the app for places I know I would be.
Sponsored