IOS 13 not compatible with Carplay? Radio replacement still not fixing it

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
its not the phone if he tried other family members phones its probably the connector/cord from the USB ports to the back of the radio as the most likely culprit. If I was at work I could help with CarPlay issues but from what you described its something in the jeep, You have eliminated the phones and the radio since that was replaced the only thing left is the wiring from the USB ports
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
iphone 6s here running iOS13 in a '19 JLUR., It's a little buggy and sometimes my phone needs a reboot, but after that it works fine.

ToxicBanana

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Bad wiring can cause your issue, you could actually have a bad cable/wiring that would work for Andriod auto and not work for Apple Car Play.
Replacing this should be the next logical step.

Headunit - replaced
Wiring - untested
Port - two different ports tried (reasonable to assume they aren't bad but a bad batch is possible)
Cable - tested
Phone - tested

OP
OP
zyt

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
Thanks for everyone’s input. The issue is not from phone settings since my iPhone works on other JL, and none of other iPhones work on my jeep.

I believe the theory from @jawest12, @johnparjr and @ToxicBanana that it must be the cabling between back of the radio and USB ports. One thing to point out is that my Android Auto always works, so the question remains is there a specific cable or device that enables Carplay that not required for Andriod?

@johnparjr, you mentioned you could help when you are at work, are you working at a dealership or have some expertise with uconnect?

Sponsored

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Thanks for everyone’s input. The issue is not from phone settings since my iPhone works on other JL, and none of other iPhones work on my jeep.

I believe the theory from @jawest12, @johnparjr and @ToxicBanana that it must be the cabling between back of the radio and USB ports. One thing to point out is that my Android Auto always works, so the question remains is there a specific cable or device that enables Carplay that not required for Andriod?

@johnparjr, you mentioned you could help when you are at work, are you working at a dealership or have some expertise with uconnect?

Android's requirements for the cable are much less demanding than CarPlay. Therefor, it doesn't require as solid of a connection. @ToxicBanana alluded to this in his post as well.

I imagine this is very frustrating. The USB connection on the back of the radio is a grey molex just to the right of center when looking at the back. Getting an adapter, and plugging in directly would be the fastest test, if you want to try it on your own. Removing the radio to set that up, is also quick. There are videos out there to show you how, like this one from infotainment.com.

OP
OP
zyt

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
Thanks for everyone's input.

I've been talking with Uconnect team and Dealer trying to figure this out. Both just simply blamed iPhone 11 is NOT compatible with Uconnect. They pointed to uconnect's website which lists all compatible phones and carriers. Latest supported iPhone is an X with IOS 12 and Sprint is completely not supported....

It seems everyone else with later iPhone and IOS don't have this issue. Very frustrating. @JeepCares have you seen similar situations? Can you escalate this to Uconnect engineers?

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
This is just plain ridiculous...and your carrier should have nothing to do with it.

ToxicBanana

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
You did try an iphone thats not running IOS13 right?
What other phones did you test with (version/IOS)?

Its entirely possible that they are not 100% compatible with IOS 13 not saying that's acceptable but that it is in fact a possibility.

If you have tested with a IOS 12 or older phone and that too doesn't work, go back and tell them, "Forget about iPhone 11 with IOS 13, here is another phone with the compatible IOS (12 or lower) that also doesn't work, fix it for that one."

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
You did try an iphone thats not running IOS13 right?
What other phones did you test with (version/IOS)?

Its entirely possible that they are not 100% compatible with IOS 13 not saying that's acceptable but that it is in fact a possibility.

If you have tested with a IOS 12 or older phone and that too doesn't work, go back and tell them, "Forget about iPhone 11 with IOS 13, here is another phone with the compatible IOS (12 or lower) that also doesn't work, fix it for that one."
He already said his phone and cable worked with other Jeeps on the dealer's lot. That, alone, is enough to show the problem is with his Jeep.

Sponsored

ToxicBanana

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
He already said his phone and cable worked with other Jeeps on the dealer's lot. That, alone, is enough to show the problem is with his Jeep.
While I agree this is a good test for him to test his phone, if FCA says that the iPhone 11 with iOS 13 is not compatible then that test isn't valid as your testing a non compatible device which make the whole test null (to FCA). Its bullshit that this is their excuse but if they say its not compatible they are not going to budge until that changes.
However if you get a compatible iPhone to work on other similar Jeeps but not his, well that's a whole different story.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Where in MD are you located as perhaps we are close and can get together to work through it? I'd happily plug my phone into your cable to see if it comes up on your Uconnect, and vice versa.

I have a JLUR with the 8.4 inch and it works with my iPhone XS Max as well as my wife iPhone 11. Also my kids older iPhones work. All of these are iOS 13.2.3 but did work all the way through the iOS 13 betas. We are all on Verizon.

I would also try to plug into USB1 and USB2 to see if it is a wiring problem. They are both discrete outputs from the radio so not likely a wiring problem would impact both. Both of mine work as does USB3 in the back seat.

Sometimes it is a big flaky to connect and I have to unlock my phone but then CarPlay pops up in the menu and things are good. The firmware a couple months ago helped improve the connectivity a lot.

The only difference we have is Sprint versus Verizon and I doubt that's even visible from the Uconnect side of the CarPlay protocol.

Mprice

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL
I HAD TONS of issues with this and I will say after 5 months I believe it is fixed but I had to start a lemon law case to get them to keep digging and they finally replaced the radio (i have the 8.4 screen) but they made sure it was not a refirb radio that it was a brand new radio... But in the lemon law hearing their response was:
1. I drive it too much
2. I have an iphone xs max pro and ios 13 is not supported
3. sometimes tech just doesn't work
I am livid over the responses but at least it is working...

Thanks for everyone's input.

I've been talking with Uconnect team and Dealer trying to figure this out. Both just simply blamed iPhone 11 is NOT compatible with Uconnect. They pointed to uconnect's website which lists all compatible phones and carriers. Latest supported iPhone is an X with IOS 12 and Sprint is completely not supported....

It seems everyone else with later iPhone and IOS don't have this issue. Very frustrating. @JeepCares have you seen similar situations? Can you escalate this to Uconnect engineers?

ToxicBanana

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR

What a shitty response

Mprice

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL

What a shitty response
yes, and the "well you will drive 20K in miles this year that above the norm" i guess some how this makes the RADIO not work?!?!?! WTF
Sponsored