Sponsored

Invest in a dash camera.

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
A wire can only reliably transmit so far, the attenuation gets too great at certain lengths, this goes for anything from data, electricity, and even light in fiber optics.

Also, why do you think you need more than 16.5ft of wire in 1 direction anyways? That's more than what you should ever need, as long as you're not trying to use this as a backup cam for 16' trailer...
Well i was trying to bypass the 12v cig lighter tap and just go straight to battery/fusetaps for constant/ignition power if that makes sense.
Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I hardwired my BlackVue straight to the fuse block in the engine bay. Poked a hole through the foam and the base of the pax side A pillar and used a fuse tap to an always on fuse. This enables the parking/impact mode for recording when engine off. Settings on the camera allow you to set timer and minimum voltage to shut down camera(s) before killing the battery.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Well i was trying to bypass the 12v cig lighter tap and just go straight to battery/fusetaps for constant/ignition power if that makes sense.
The wire that can't be extended is the one that connects the mirror to the rear camera.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
You should have plenty of length :)

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6

Captured this clip today. Shared the video with the local police department and the van rental company... While it’s obvious who’s fault it was, will still make the police and insurance companies job that much easier.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Small world. I used to work with a guy who's hometown was Pooler.

He was fond of saying "Pooler...where the people are cooler."

Deleted member 59498

Captured this clip today. Shared the video with the local police department and the van rental company... While it’s obvious who’s fault it was, will still make the police and insurance companies job that much easier.
He was too busy looking at your Purple Jeep!

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Small world. I used to work with a guy who's hometown was Pooler.

He was fond of saying "Pooler...where the people are cooler."
My accident in the 21 was in Pooler, broke my arm in that one... So I’m not a fan of the area.

He was too busy looking at your Purple Jeep!
I seen this guy before and he always cuts it close, so always use caution when I see him.

WheretheJLs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Hydro Blue Rubicon XR
So am i right that its better for a front cam to be wired into the fuse box instead of tapping into 1 of 4 AUX connectors???

Sponsored

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link

Robby Robot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nathantothrow.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU, Roush 2 Mustang, Triumph T-Bird
Occupation
KZ4KNR | Business Intelligence Consultant
One of the problems with a dash cam is that in an accident it can be used for you or it can be used against you. If you had hit that car and the opposition would have blown that video up and slowed it way down to try to make the case that you had plenty of warning and time to stop. Not saying they would have won but it's not always the concrete proof you think it will be.
Evidence is funny like that. But what you do with evidence is solely between you and your attorney. Personally, I like to be in the position of having options.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Evidence is funny like that. But what you do with evidence is solely between you and your attorney. Personally, I like to be in the position of having options.
Or get one that replaces your rearview mirror and it's nowhere near as obvious that you have front and rear cameras recording.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
One of the problems with a dash cam is that in an accident it can be used for you or it can be used against you. If you had hit that car and the opposition would have blown that video up and slowed it way down to try to make the case that you had plenty of warning and time to stop. Not saying they would have won but it's not always the concrete proof you think it will be.
That's why you only produce the dashcam video if you aren't at fault :)
Sponsored