Invest in a dash camera.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
This is why we have the Un- and Under-Insured Driver line item on our automotive insurance policy. It galls me to have to pay for such coverage, but that's just the way of the world these days.
The dash cam made one part of the process very easy. But that extra coverage is what’s covering my ass for the most part. Hopefully I can go into more detail in a few months... But for now, I will say a dash cam and six figure liability limits is a must (with equal part under insured).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Wondering where you guys running dash cams are wiring in for power? I’d like to NOT use the Aux switches, but have it switched for when the Jeep is on.

Any good options in the rear view? I have at advanced safety pkg.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Wondering where you guys running dash cams are wiring in for power? I’d like to NOT use the Aux switches, but have it switched for when the Jeep is on.

I've got the Brandmotion FVMR-8886: https://brandmotion.com/product/ful...r-jeep-wrangler-jk-jl-gladiator-jt-2007-2021/. It's quite a bit cheaper if you order it through Crutchfield or 4 Wheel Parts. It does what it claims (records front and rear, etc.), but it has a stupidly wide field of view that makes differentiating between "directly on your ass" and "three seconds back" challenging. Headlights at night are just various-intensity blobs.

There's an extra "on with the ignition" power lead in the aux wire bundle that I tapped in to.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Definitely invest in a dash cam. Had a slow speed accident last week. After sending the footage over to my insurance agent, they agreed I was not at fault (other driver instigated, plowed into my passenger side front wheel). Would have been a useless he said, she said mess without it.

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited

In my case, I decided to extract power from the connector that powers the backlight of the little Passenger Airbag sign (depicted below).. however, it only works when your headlights /interior lights are on (it worked in my case because I always ride with my headlights on) ... I could provide more details on how I installed my dashcam if anyone is interested.. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Invest in a dash camera. 1671578933695

Another option is to either piggyback from the cigarette lighter connector or the USB connector.. mind you.. most dashcams use 5 Volts as in the USB connector, so if you use the cigarette lighter then you will need a converter from the 12 Volts the cigarette lighter provides to 5 Volts...

Routing the cable would look something like this:
Jeep Wrangler JL Invest in a dash camera. 1671579308724

More details on this document:
https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/FVMR-8876V2II.pdf

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon

I use the Aux switch harness, as it includes both battery and ignition switched in addition to the aux wires. I use both the Battery and Aux connections for my Garmin's parked mode.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

In my case, I decided to extract power from the connector that powers the backlight of the little Passenger Airbag sign (depicted below).. however, it only works when your headlights /interior lights are on (it worked in my case because I always ride with my headlights on) ... I could provide more details on how I installed my dashcam if anyone is interested.. :)

Another option is to either piggyback from the cigarette lighter connector or the USB connector.. mind you.. most dashcams use 5 Volts as in the USB connector, so if you use the cigarette lighter then you will need a converter from the 12 Volts the cigarette lighter provides to 5 Volts...

Routing the cable would look something like this:

More details on this document:
https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/FVMR-8876V2II.pdf
Doesn't the USB stay active for an hour after leaving the Jeep? But maybe that's not too much of an issue?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I power my dash cam, a GoPro clone recording on loop mode, via a USB cable that is routed inside the dashboard and powered by the switched 12V power port adjacent to the transfer case lever. Simple and effective.

Sponsored

WheretheJLs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Hydro Blue Rubicon XR
Anyone have a shop buy the dashcam and wire it in for them? How much did you pay?

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Anyone have a shop buy the dashcam and wire it in for them? How much did you pay?
No, that would be expensive for what they are doing, but I couldn't imagine it being more than an hour labor. The new ones are super easy and even give you a trim tool to tuck the wire into the trim around the windshield. Installing a rear camera may take a little longer but it's the same concept.

Are you looking to hard wire it? If not most plug into the 12v jack and give you an extra usb port on the plug. Hard wiring it is pretty easy as well, but if you just don't want to mess with it, check with any place that installs stereos.

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
I've got the Brandmotion FVMR-8886: https://brandmotion.com/product/ful...r-jeep-wrangler-jk-jl-gladiator-jt-2007-2021/. It's quite a bit cheaper if you order it through Crutchfield or 4 Wheel Parts. It does what it claims (records front and rear, etc.), but it has a stupidly wide field of view that makes differentiating between "directly on your ass" and "three seconds back" challenging. Headlights at night are just various-intensity blobs.

There's an extra "on with the ignition" power lead in the aux wire bundle that I tapped in to.
I was sooo close to ordering this a few days ago but I was looking at the instructions and the very last bullet point it says that I cannot extend the wires?
Jeep Wrangler JL Invest in a dash camera. 1676934425375

I am already using my 12v accessory to connect a 2 additional usb ports.
Why on earth would I not be able to extend the wire? How does that change anything?

Am I interpreting this bullet point wrong? lol

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
I was sooo close to ordering this a few days ago but I was looking at the instructions and the very last bullet point it says that I cannot extend the wires?
1676934425375.png

I am already using my 12v accessory to connect a 2 additional usb ports.
Why on earth would I not be able to extend the wire? How does that change anything?

Am I interpreting this bullet point wrong? lol
A wire can only reliably transmit so far, the attenuation gets too great at certain lengths, this goes for anything from data, electricity, and even light in fiber optics.

Also, why do you think you need more than 16.5ft of wire in 1 direction anyways? That's more than what you should ever need, as long as you're not trying to use this as a backup cam for 16' trailer...

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
I have the vantrue n4, and just bought the Rove 4k. I think I like the Rove better, surprisingly. Both are awesome and the vantrue has front rear and interior if you want (you can turn off any of the ones you dont want). The downside is no wifi.

The rove model I got is only front facing. They make one with rear too. I think it's a lot more use friendly. It has wifi which makes setting it up easier. Also has a small internal battery that lets it record a minute video when the vehicle is parked if it's bumped hard, as to hopefully capture somebody who may take off. I thought that was pretty cool. It can record non stop if you wire it to a constant on 12v or plug. Price was nice too.
Sponsored