Invest in a dash camera.

RugbyRef

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 392
Blackvue DR900X 2-CH in all of my vehicles. In my Jeep, I wired it into the module for the Forward Collision Warning system behind the rearview mirror.
Sponsored

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Thinkware q800 pro up front. (Great resolution) Recently got rear ended and bitch took off. Caught her 1 town over in a disabked vehicle, so now my old goluk t3 is in the back on a seperate battery pack that charges when I drive

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Does this automatically start recording when the Jeep is started? Always overwrites when storage gets full?
Yes, starts right up when you hit the key and it runs on a continuous loop.
The rearview is a touch screen and has all the controls on it. You can take photos, switch from front to rear camera, hit lock to save a segment of video and the rearview shows a full 170° wide view that you can scroll up/down/left and right.

The only complaint is that the mirror is now a mirror/video screen, it is not as perfect a mirror as a regular mirror and in the bright sun, the screen can be a bit glare-y.

**Edit - 170° degree view, not 270°

Last edited:

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
The rearview is a touch screen and has all the controls on it. You can take photos, switch from front to rear camera, hit lock to save a segment of video and the rearview shows a full 270° wide view that you can scroll up/down/left and right.

The only complaint is that the mirror is now a mirror/video screen, it is not as perfect a mirror as a regular mirror and in the bright sun, the screen can be a bit glare-y.
I had one in my c8 corvette and didn’t mind it, same issues you speak of.

But just wanted to confirm, it can be hardwired to start recording the moment jeep is powered on? Automatically turns off when Jeep is turned off?

Install and forget type of situation?

Sponsored

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seller of badassery
I had one in my c8 corvette and didn’t mind it, same issues you speak of.

But just wanted to confirm, it can be hardwired to start recording the moment jeep is powered on? Automatically turns off when Jeep is turned off?

Install and forget type of situation?
@Caliguy , yes, the camera is recording as soon as you start the vehicle.

Last edited:

Eddiechi

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2DR Rubicon -- 2023 2DR Rubi ordered Sep 29
Yes, V1 is tapped into mirror and dashcam run down through A pillar on driver side, then over to passenger side under dash. I have the factory AUX switches so easy to access wires for constant and switched 12v. I ran the wire for the rear camera down the driver's side door sills.

ok great... do you run a hard top 24/365? Are there ez disconnects on the rear glass components?

I might have a little anxiety about leaving dash cam on windshield when I throw softtop on in summer months in my area.

Thx

Craigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Clubs

ok great... do you run a hard top 24/365? Are there ez disconnects on the rear glass components?

I might have a little anxiety about leaving dash cam on windshield when I throw softtop on in summer months in my area.

Thx
I did put a wire disconnect in the rear camera wire. Also, the dash cam (and radar detector for that matter) slide off their mounts so easily removable when topless. The rear camera sticks directly to the rear glass but of course when the top comes off, the camera comes off with it.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The rearview is a touch screen and has all the controls on it. You can take photos, switch from front to rear camera, hit lock to save a segment of video and the rearview shows a full 170° wide view that you can scroll up/down/left and right.

**Edit - 170° degree view, not 270°
Is there any way to narrow the field of view of the rear? I'd much rather have a clear view of what's behind me than what's in the next lane. This is the "Objects in mirror are holy shit closer than they appear" mirror, which is just about useless for gauging how far away that vehicle is, especially at night.

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Is there any way to narrow the field of view of the rear? I'd much rather have a clear view of what's behind me than what's in the next lane. This is the "Objects in mirror are holy shit closer than they appear" mirror, which is just about useless for gauging how far away that vehicle is, especially at night.
The view is very nice, yes it is wide, but shows what is behind you too.

I'll get some pictures.

Sponsored

Eddiechi

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2DR Rubicon -- 2023 2DR Rubi ordered Sep 29

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
All I meant is that a dashcam is there to provide evidence in case of conflicting statements. But I get to use my own best judgement as to when that footage might be relevant. I've never caused an accident, but I've had at least one where I could have proven my point re: the redness of a particular light at a particular time, when I was T-boned.

I don't believe any state allows subpoena of personal dash cams for insurance related matters, but if you're a lawyer and know otherwise, I'm curious.
Definitely can be subpoenaed. It wouldn't even need to be subpoenaed before confiscation. The law enforcement officer would just collect the camera. The US Supreme Court allows for a warrantless collection of imminent evidence that could be destroyed. However, before searching the camera a court ordered subpoena would be necessary.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Blackvue DR900X 2-CH in all of my vehicles. In my Jeep, I wired it into the module for the Forward Collision Warning system behind the rearview mirror.
How do you have your rear camera mounted? I have a soft top and everytime I mount it to the sound bar it falls off in the Florida heat days later. I've tried the OEM tape, gorilla tape, even epoxy and no luck.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

How do you have your rear camera mounted? I have a soft top and everytime I mount it to the sound bar it falls off in the Florida heat days later. I've tried the OEM tape, gorilla tape, even epoxy and no luck.
I used the 3M "sticky" pad that came with the BlackVue camera - can't speak to high humidity of Florida, but it didn't budge in the desert heat of Moab.

I did clean the surface with rubbing alcohol before attaching
Sponsored