Intro and suspension questions for JLUR with 20x12 and 35 12.50's

Hale2016

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Hi all, new member here. I've been following this forum for quite some time now reading everthing I can find related to lifting my Rubicon. I currently have a 2020 JLU Sahara that is going to be my daughters now that we found a 2020 JLU Rubicon. This Rubicon will only be a pavement pounder and a daily driver for my wife. I want to lift it just enough to run a 20x12 wheel and 35'' tire. I've looked hard at the Mopar lift but I see that it tends to lift more than the advertised 2''. I've also watched some videos of the Rough Country 2.5 and 3.5 lift kits but kind of worried about the quality. I like the Teraflex and Clayton kits but no one seems to have them in stock. My main goal is overall good ride and handling on the highway. Once I find a kit for the Rubicon I plan to take the stock suspension from it and lift the Sahara. Give me some otions with pro's and con's of whats available
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I want to lift it just enough to run a 20x12 wheel and 35'' tire.
Why a 20 inch wheel? You're increasing cost, limiting tire size and essentially creating a much harsher ride.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
20" wheels on a Wrangler is like a super model wearing granny panties, it makes no sense.
Or like a granny wearing a thong.

@Hale2016 , a 12 inch wide wheel isn't going to work with most 12.5 inch wide 35 inch tires. Max wheel width on most is 11 inches.

OP
OP
Hale2016

Hale2016

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why a 20" wheel? Because that's what I like and I'm well aware of the cost.

A 20" wheel makes no sense? Maybe not to some but others like it.

A 35'' tire won't work on a 12'' wheel width. How are so many people running this combination if it doesn't work? I for one have used it on a heavy deisel truck and it worked just fine. Yes it stretches the tire a little but will work.

I've been reading on here for months trying to figure out a direction on my lift and I guess I didn't realize that you can't get helpful answers if you don't pick the wheel size that everyone else does. I have a specific reason for my wants on this jeep, as I stated inittially, it's going to be a pavement pounder or mall crawler as y'all call them but I don't do malls. If I was going to offroad this Jeep I definitely would not be running a 20'' wheel. I haven't read anywhere that lift kits are only for narrow wheels with big bouncy tires.

To each is thier own but I didn't join this group to poke fun at someones combination that I don't like. I see plenty of combinations I'd never have but I'm sure the person running that combo likes it or they would have picked something else.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I've been reading on here for months trying to figure out a direction on my lift and I guess I didn't realize that you can't get helpful answers if you don't pick the wheel size that everyone else does.
To each is thier own but I didn't join this group to poke fun at someones combination that I don't like. I see plenty of combinations I'd never have but I'm sure the person running that combo likes it or they would have picked something else.
Relax. You asked asked questions on a public forum, wanting answers. People, including myself answered. You may not like the responses, but they are what they are.

Most people on this forum don't run 20s on their vehicles. There's no right or wrong here, it's simply a matter of preference.

Last edited:

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

A 35'' tire won't work on a 12'' wheel width. How are so many people running this combination if it doesn't work? I for one have used it on a heavy deisel truck and it worked just fine. Yes it stretches the tire a little but will work.

I've been reading on here for months trying to figure out a direction on my lift and I guess I didn't realize that you can't get helpful answers if you don't pick the wheel size that everyone else does. I have a specific reason for my wants on this jeep, as I stated inittially, it's going to be a pavement pounder or mall crawler as y'all call them but I don't do malls. If I was going to offroad this Jeep I definitely would not be running a 20'' wheel. I haven't read anywhere that lift kits are only for narrow wheels with big bouncy tires.

@NewJLU2019 is running Mopar lift on 20x10s with 35x12.50s. I know not exactly what you are looking for but could view for reference. I think you could get away with a spacer lift just make sure backspace on wheels work.

OP
OP
Hale2016

Hale2016

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. That is what I am interested in. The Mopar lift seems to really raise these things up which is what makes me want to consider something else. I don't really want/need all the space between the tire and fender fares but do want some added height. It seems most all 2.5'' lifts I have read about tend to be more like 3.0-3.5''. I guess I need to search for one with more of a true 2.5'' lift on a Rubicon.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Skip the lift. A Rubicon will work well with 35's. A proper lift that contains all of the necessary components that promote longevity will cost a few grand and will lift the Jeep too high for 35's.

Keep an eye on the forums member marketplace for Rubi takeoffs. For maximum lift on the Sahara, you'll want the springs and shocks from a donor that came from the factory with a hardtop, tow package, and steel bumpers. They tend to go for a couple hundred bucks at best.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. That is what I am interested in. The Mopar lift seems to really raise these things up which is what makes me want to consider something else. I don't really want/need all the space between the tire and fender fares but do want some added height. It seems most all 2.5'' lifts I have read about tend to be more like 3.0-3.5''. I guess I need to search for one with more of a true 2.5'' lift on a Rubicon.
Agree most give a little too much lift for 35s that’s why I suggested a spacer lift. Teraflex 2” front/ 1.5” rear would be a good spacer lift. Even then you want to consider swapping out LCAs for caster improvement. I read Dynatrac Eurosport gets you close to 2” lift but is very soft. @Headbarcode can weigh in but he has referenced on other threads this kit struggles with any weight in rear.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/dynatrac-endurosport-2-lift-what-to-expect.47605/

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I do have Vapor Fuel Wheels 20x10 with 35/12.50/20 Open country tires MT. Simple Mopar 2.0 lift to have more off-road use. The ride is not harsh and very smooth just like it drove stock. I have gone off-road and does fine.

I am not going to be doing the Litebrite rock climbing by any means.

I didn't want to wait the 6 to 8 weeks backorder for my 35/12.50/17 tires to come in. My dealership have Jeeps they put 20's on with 35's and 37's all the time.

They had the Toyo Open Country tires on hand so I just changed wheel order so didn't wait weeks. They look fine but if I do start Litebrite rock crawling I will change to the recommended 17's to have more rubber on rocks.

Just do what you want to do with your Jeep. If you have questions ask @Roky for he knows more than I do and I discussed my Jeep with him. If you are planning on MAJOR rock crawling go with 17's and more rubber on rocks.

I don't have issue with my Jeep. I like it is all that matters to me.

20210319_105627.jpg

20210517_125728.jpg

OP
OP
Hale2016

Hale2016

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@NewJLU2019 That is the exact look I'm wanting. Your Jeep looks awesome and glad to hear you like the Mopar kit. I may just do the 20x10's instead of the 12's but want enough clearance incase 12's happen. I have a friend at the Jeep parts department who can get me the Mopar kit for a very reasonable price. I will probably add the adjustable trackbars because I won't be happy if it's not even on each side like I've heard can happen.

I also love the red mesh top, our Rubicon is Sting Gray with the red seatbelts and was considering doing the red mesh top. You just made that decision much easier for me as well.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
@NewJLU2019 That is the exact look I'm wanting. Your Jeep looks awesome and glad to hear you like the Mopar kit. I may just do the 20x10's instead of the 12's but want enough clearance incase 12's happen. I have a friend at the Jeep parts department who can get me the Mopar kit for a very reasonable price. I will probably add the adjustable trackbars because I won't be happy if it's not even on each side like I've heard can happen.

I also love the red mesh top, our Rubicon is Sting Gray with the red seatbelts and was considering doing the red mesh top. You just made that decision much easier for me as well.
These guys use 20” on all their builds. However, 37s and 38s. May give you some ideas on rims :) Set filter on Jeeps
https://tveauto.com/used-cars-carrollton-tx

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
These guys use 20” on all their builds. However, 37s and 38s. May give you some ideas on rims :) Set filter on Jeeps
https://tveauto.com/used-cars-carrollton-tx

My Dealership are long time friends and they do the Mopar 2.0 lift all the time. The Tech is very good. I did not add any other trackbars. I drove the Jeep 2 weeks before installs done. Drove great and straight with no steering issues. After the install my Jeep still drives smooth and straight just like stock, no steering issues I read about. Not sure what you mean if its not even on both sides. My Jeep is even on both sides. Very happy with the Mopar Lift and how jeep drives. Heard too many on forum have bad steering pulls but mine drives perfect at all speeds.

I have the Spiderweb Shade, went red with the Rubicon red.

I have the Sting Gray with the Sahara but its Sky Power top so no shade on it.

The Spiderweb shade does not have the bungee Balls now. They use these instead for the straps. Very nice and neat looking.

Jeep Wrangler JL Intro and suspension questions for JLUR with 20x12 and 35 12.50's Rock sliders with  Step Assist

20210614_221716.jpg

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase