Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So, one thing leads to another, next thing I know I am talking to a Jeep salesman.

Now I am intrigued by the 4Xe PHEV. Ninety percent of my daily drives are well under 20 miles. I could conceivably go without using any gasoline for weeks at a time.

Everything I’ve read from those who got one is they love the low-end torque. Saw a video from a guy who goes through the trouble of calculating the MPG on his 4Xe: he is averaging 29 MPG in real life driving. That’s right up there with the EcoDiesel.

I went onto Jeep.com to play around. Leather, LEDs and Selec-Trac come standard. A well equipped Sahara 4Xe is $58,500, before the $7,500 federal tax credit. There’s a dealer near Seattle willing to sell it for $2,300 off MSRP.

I have no clue what the resale value of these thing is.

PS - Vroom offered $43,650 for my 2018 Sahara with 6,500 miles. I paid $38,000 18 months years ago.

Whaddayah guys think...? 4Xe? Yay or nay?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Whaddayah guys think...? 4Xe? Yay or nay?
Between the tax credit, dealer discount and Vroom offer you’re ahead of the game. You’re the perfect candidate for one and you’re essentially getting paid to drive the 4xe. I say go for it!

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My thread got moved to the powertrain forum.

Seriously...?!?!

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Between the tax credit, dealer discount and Vroom offer you’re ahead of the game. You’re the perfect candidate for one and you’re essentially getting paid to drive the 4xe. I say go for it!
The challenge is finding one to test drive.

My local Jeep dealer wants a $10,000 MARKUP!

I just got up and left.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Just test drove a fully-loaded Sahara 4Xe.

The Good:
  1. It is very quiet. When you first start the motor, you don’t hear a thing. It is a bit disconcerting.
  2. Comes with several modes, ranging from fully gas to fully electric. It even has a mode that allows you to save your battery charge for later. It is like 2 vehicles in 1 - it has a regular 2.0T plus an electric motor.
  3. Selec-Trac, LEDs and leather come standard.
  4. It has quite a bit of grunt.
The Not so Good:
  1. It rides stiff. Those f-ugly 20-inch wheels have to go.
  2. The rear seat is raised about 2 inches, which you lose in headroom. You can still sit back there comfortably, though.
  3. When you fold the seats down, there is about a 6 inch difference between the cargo floor and the folded seats. I wouldn’t be able to sleep in the Jeep any more.
  4. When you floor it, the 2.0 has to spool before the turbo kicks in, resulting in significant turbo lag. The engine sounds quite rough compared to the V6, and you can even hear a turbo whistle.
If I were buying my first Wrangler, or owned a 2.0T, I’d probably go with a 4Xe. As it sits, though, I didn’t find enough improvement to make me want to trade in my 2018 Sahara.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TimnTexas

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Blackbear
I heard they drive a lot better in 4-auto. Would be interesting to see if that changes any impressions?

G-StarRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
that's what I've noted as well. Long drives you can kiss the electric goodbye after 24 miles - rest is all on gas. Don't understand the Hybrid BS - for me it completely stops using electric on freeway once the juice gets depleted. After 2 hours of non stop driving it saves 4% on battery. Big deal. Maybe the battery is bad on my Jeep. As someone said the only way to get a higher MPG is to use this truck for local grocery shopping only and drive it on all electric locally.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
The turbo lag on the 2.0 is minimal. I have been driving it for 2 years.

i am going to guess that you were in the default hybrid mode. Something that has been noted is that the default mode is not the best for acceleration, as it defaults to battery first, then it starts the engine, and then the engine & turbos have to spool up. (So while i do think the 2.0 turbo lag is not bad at all, you are seeing the delay for kicking in the engine + the turbo lag in hybrid mode)

if you want the best acceleration it seems e-save is the way to go. It defaults to the engine, and adds battery use as needed. If you floor it in e-save you would be getting battery & gas from the start.

just wanted to throw that out there as i have seen many comments / reports about people not really seeing the power / acceleration they were expecting.

cheers.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Considering 4Xe’s low production numbers, how crazy the market is at the moment, the $7,500 tax credit, and how severe the shortage of Wranglers is out there, from what I gathered 4Xes seem relatively easy to come by.

The 4Xe buyer appears to be very specific. The dealer where I test drove the 4Xe got two originally: the first one sold right away; the second one has been sitting there while every other Wrangler sold out.

Not sure what that suggests about future resale values. It could very well be that the word hasn’t got out yet.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Considering 4Xe’s low production numbers, how crazy the market is at the moment, the $7,500 tax credit, and how severe the shortage of Wranglers is out there, from what I gathered 4Xes seem relatively easy to come by.

The 4Xe buyer appears to be very specific. The dealer where I test drove the 4Xe got two originally: the first one sold right away; the second one has been sitting there while every other Wrangler sold out.

Not sure what that suggests about future resale values.
Interesting.

that has not been my experience for the dealers i checked in the midwest. I had a bear of a time even getting a test drive in a 4xe as all of the dealers have been sold out, and every one they have been getting has been selling before it even arrives.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting.

that has not been my experience for the dealers i checked in the midwest. I had a bear of a time even getting a test drive in a 4xe as all of the dealers have been sold out, and every one they have been getting has been selling before it even arrives.
Could it have been your timing? Meaning, were you shopping right off the bat, before the bulk of production had a chance to reach dealer lots?

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Could it have been your timing? Meaning, were you shopping right off the bat, before the bulk of production had a chance to reach dealer lots?
This was last month, but the same is still true today, as i stop by the dealers around here at least once a week while waiting for mine.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Auto News reports that Ford finally started shipping Broncos today!

Hopefully that helps stabilize Wrangler inventories and prices.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Auto News reports that Ford finally started shipping Broncos today!

Hopefully that helps stabilize Wrangler inventories and prices.
The Bronco is still going to take a while before it shows up at dealerships across the country. It’s not we’ll known, but there’s still a shortage of qualified commercial truck drivers out there. It’ll be a while before Broncos get loaded up onto trucks to get to their final destinations.
Sponsored