Sponsored

Intermittent Steering Wheel Heat

Mjolimar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
This isn’t a problem with the steering wheel heater actually shutting off, as there are several threads about that. I am unable to find a thread about the steering wheel heater staying on but not staying hot, so if you know of a thread please point me to it.

My problem is that the steering wheel heater gets hot when you first turn it on, then cools down. Sometimes times it heats back up after a few minutes, but mostly it‘s use like I turned it down even though it is not adjustable. It doesn’t shut off, but it does not stay warm enough to be of much assistance. It doesn’t do this all the time; only sometimes. I thought perhaps it was linked to the central heater control and would not stay hot once the cabin warmed up, but cranking the central heat seems to have no effect.

I am still within warranty, so I can take it in, but the nearest dealership is 60 miles away so it is less than convenient. Anyone else having this issue?
Sponsored

theMANIMAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
This isn’t a problem with the steering wheel heater actually shutting off, as there are several threads about that. I am unable to find a thread about the steering wheel heater staying on but not staying hot, so if you know of a thread please point me to it.

My problem is that the steering wheel heater gets hot when you first turn it on, then cools down. Sometimes times it heats back up after a few minutes, but mostly it‘s use like I turned it down even though it is not adjustable. It doesn’t shut off, but it does not stay warm enough to be of much assistance. It doesn’t do this all the time; only sometimes. I thought perhaps it was linked to the central heater control and would not stay hot once the cabin warmed up, but cranking the central heat seems to have no effect.

I am still within warranty, so I can take it in, but the nearest dealership is 60 miles away so it is less than convenient. Anyone else having this issue?
Our 2021 (July built) JLURD has recently developed this behavior as well. I thought I was imagining things, but I’m glad someone else can confirm similar behavior. I feel like it used to get stupid hot and stay that way until I turned it off. Now it switches between stupid hot to warm or just warm to so-so warm. Of course when the cooler weather has just started.

OP
OP

Mjolimar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it is a sensor or regulator problem, then. Do you notice any difference if you change the central heating temperature setting?

theMANIMAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it is a sensor or regulator problem, then. Do you notice any difference if you change the central heating temperature setting?
To be honest, I’m not sure. We only have 3,300 miles on the Jeep and we only really drive short trips on the weekend. I’ll have to pay attention this weekend, or next week (driving to the in laws for Turkey day) and report back.

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
This happens to my wheel as well, though I was thinking it might be normal function.

The specific spot where I hold the wheel cools down over time, but it feels hot in other spots. I was thinking maybe my hands wrapped around the wheel insulates that specific part, which in turn causes a sensor to reduce the heat for the heating element on that part of the wheel...just a theory... 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored