Sponsored

Intermittent Loss of Power Steering

JeepOuray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR; Land Rover LR4; Escalade;
Ron_H, I quoted another forum post from DonnaInColorado. I'm hoping my dealer treats me like her dealer did by addressing the issue. This will be the first issue I've had to work with the dealer on, so fingers crossed it goes well!
Did Faricy in Colorado Springs take care of the issue for you? What was the issue? That’s where I get mine serviced. I brought it in - they couldn’t replicate it - and gave it back. Has happened to me several times while off-roading and also normal street driving. SCARY! Power steering goes out when turning to the right only, Start/Stop is disabled for no reason. Have to strong arm to turn the wheel. Then suddenly power steering kicks back on and drives normal. Happened while going around a curve and almost went head-on into traffic. Sat on the side of the road until I could get power steering to engage again.
Sponsored

Sococajun

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Did Faricy in Colorado Springs take care of the issue for you? What was the issue? That’s where I get mine serviced. I brought it in - they couldn’t replicate it - and gave it back. Has happened to me several times while off-roading and also normal street driving. SCARY! Power steering goes out when turning to the right only, Start/Stop is disabled for no reason. Have to strong arm to turn the wheel. Then suddenly power steering kicks back on and drives normal. Happened while going around a curve and almost went head-on into traffic. Sat on the side of the road until I could get power steering to engage again.
They were very responsive to the issue. I called, and they wanted to get it in that day. I was unable to support and got it in the next morning. This is the service bulletin I pulled off this forum and they knew about it. They didn't play any games. This is the procedure they said they did. I haven't been in the same conditions I was in when it occurred, and don't know when I will be again, however, it seems fine now.

My problem was not like yours though as it only happened over 60mph on a cold night, so I'm not sure this TB will apply to you, but it may be a start. I have seen others discussing exactly what you are writing about. The folks I've seen have been on Facebook with pictures of wrecked JLs!!

It is unbelievable to me they put you back in your jeep without even making an effort to cover their ass. I had a GMC do that exact thing to me. Steering locked up, the truck turned off, and the doors unlocked as if I had been in an accident. I hadn't at that time, even though I was in the middle of a four-lane road. It did it to me again in a parking lot. I filmed it on my phone. Drove it straight to GMC, showed them the video. Same thing. Sorry, we can't replicate the issue, but here's your deathtrap back to put your family in. Have a nice day. I drove it across the street and traded it in for a Ford, which was later traded in on this JL. I love this Jeep, but there's no tolerance for something unsafe for my family. Fingers crossed I don't have any other issues as I love driving it!

I hope you get the issue worked out sooner rather than later!!!

JL_TSB_0809218-1.jpg

vlade31

First Name
Yasir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
They were very responsive to the issue. I called, and they wanted to get it in that day. I was unable to support and got it in the next morning. This is the service bulletin I pulled off this forum and they knew about it. They didn't play any games. This is the procedure they said they did. I haven't been in the same conditions I was in when it occurred, and don't know when I will be again, however, it seems fine now.

My problem was not like yours though as it only happened over 60mph on a cold night, so I'm not sure this TB will apply to you, but it may be a start. I have seen others discussing exactly what you are writing about. The folks I've seen have been on Facebook with pictures of wrecked JLs!!

It is unbelievable to me they put you back in your jeep without even making an effort to cover their ass. I had a GMC do that exact thing to me. Steering locked up, the truck turned off, and the doors unlocked as if I had been in an accident. I hadn't at that time, even though I was in the middle of a four-lane road. It did it to me again in a parking lot. I filmed it on my phone. Drove it straight to GMC, showed them the video. Same thing. Sorry, we can't replicate the issue, but here's your deathtrap back to put your family in. Have a nice day. I drove it across the street and traded it in for a Ford, which was later traded in on this JL. I love this Jeep, but there's no tolerance for something unsafe for my family. Fingers crossed I don't have any other issues as I love driving it!

I hope you get the issue worked out sooner rather than later!!!

JL_TSB_0809218-1.jpg
Sorry to be that guy, but since you keep talking about family safety, I’ve got to remind you that Wranglers aren’t exactly the safest for kids in the backseat in case of a side impact crash. There are no rear door or curtain air bags.

chiefersutherland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Mine was temperature related. Ambient outdoor temperature lower than 35 degrees. When does yours happen?

Bumping this thread because my 2019 JLUR does this exact thing. It’s low speed and high speed, less than 40 degrees and is intermittent. Goes away, I think, after driving a few miles. I thought it was related to the heated steering wheel being on but that is probably just because it was cold out..

At any rate, my Jeep’s build date is April 2019 so this is still an issue, although the TSB posted wouldn’t apply to my build date.

For the people that got this issue fixed, any suggestions on how I can ensure the tech can recreate this problem?

Sponsored

zjaw

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep rubacon
Mine has done the same thing to me. Cold mornings at slow speeds.

chiefersutherland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Had it at the dealer today for this issue. They called and said they “couldn’t recreate” and replaced the steering dampener and claim that will have fixed it. Anyone know a good dealer in Denver area? AutoNation Southwest is a fucking joke.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
This first occurred, for me, about 3 months after I took delivery. All was fine for several months after until it happened again at about 1 year. I took it to the dealer and they were unable to recreate the problem, which was no big surprise. After sitting with them for 3 days they returned the Jeep saying only that they charged the battery. I requested the Service Manager call me to discuss it but he did not return any of my three phone calls. Needless to say, I won't be recommending Maple Ridge Chrysler Jeep.

Fortunately, the problem has not reoccured and was at 2 1/2 years now and 29K miles.

We have had a number of odd electrical problems that left the main battery dead if left for more than 1 1/2 days. It presented all the symptoms of a phantom/parasitic draw. As it is still under warranty I took it to a different dealer who tested it and said the battery was bad. They replaced it under warranty and all appears to be good now.

Melhunt

First Name
Melanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jl sport , Gladiator mohave
Bumping this thread because my 2019 JLUR does this exact thing. It’s low speed and high speed, less than 40 degrees and is intermittent. Goes away, I think, after driving a few miles. I thought it was related to the heated steering wheel being on but that is probably just because it was cold out..

At any rate, my Jeep’s build date is April 2019 so this is still an issue, although the TSB posted wouldn’t apply to my build date.

For the people that got this issue fixed, any suggestions on how I can ensure the tech can recreate this problem?
I have a 2019 as well with the same type of problem.. it started on dec 23 , went to start jeep, everything turned on except the motor, had a bunch of codes, had to leave the batteries die, boosted it up the next morning and it was fine.... it did the same thing again ... i read on a forum that it was most likely the auxiliary battery.. changed it .. worked fine for a week ... than I went to leave the house one morning and no power steering ( freezing weather) turned off jeep .. restarted and it was okay till the corner of the road .. again no power steering, turned it off , back on it was fine did 10km ... sent it to the garage they couldn't find the problem.. the garagist drove it everyday for a week back and forth to work .... tonight no more power sterring, cant turn it off completely... turn it off but it stays on accessories, i was able to drive around the parking lot with no p.s a few time but never able to turn completely off... tried starting again .. it started 10seconds ,moter died and its stuck on run with all the lights on .... tommrow it will go back to the garage
Sponsored