Intermittent Flickering 2HI light / Service 4WD

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
As the title says, getting an intermittent 2HI light and then a day later or so a service 4WD light hits, it goes away after I restart my jeep.

I took it to the dealer and the guys says he sees it often with lifted jeeps, says the ABS wire gets stretched after a while so I’m thinking of replacing the sensor.

It happens often when I’m on a long bumpy stretch of road.

I hooked it up to JSCAN and pulled the codes (see the picture).
Any ideas?

I think he might be right, but I’m running the rubicon in July and need to be sure my rig is at 100 percent.

Thanks!

0CE528F4-CEDF-478E-9C5E-5FABF645D933.jpeg
Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
As the title says, getting an intermittent 2HI light and then a day later or so a service 4WD light hits, it goes away after I restart my jeep.

I took it to the dealer and the guys says he sees it often with lifted jeeps, says the ABS wire gets stretched after a while so I’m thinking of replacing the sensor.

It happens often when I’m on a long bumpy stretch of road.

I hooked it up to JSCAN and pulled the codes (see the picture).
Any ideas?

I think he might be right, but I’m running the rubicon in July and need to be sure my rig is at 100 percent.

Thanks!

0CE528F4-CEDF-478E-9C5E-5FABF645D933.jpeg
No real info for you, but I wanted to let you know I’ve had the same thing on a non-lifted stock Jeep.

The first two times it happened I just applied some forward pressure on the transfer case lever and the light stopped flickering. The third time that didn’t work and I got the Service 4WD message but it went out when I restarted the engine.

Everything else seems fine so I’ll wait and see if it gets any worse. Good luck to you.

OP
OP

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
No real info for you, but I wanted to let you know I’ve had the same thing on a non-lifted stock Jeep.

The first two times it happened I just applied some forward pressure on the transfer case lever and the light stopped flickering. The third time that didn’t work and I got the Service 4WD message but it went out when I restarted the engine.

Everything else seems fine so I’ll wait and see if it gets any worse. Good luck to you.
Thanks that worked for me once actually!
That’s very helpful I think I’ll need to get the switch on top of the transfer case changed out

OP
OP

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Fixed it, I had to get the transfer case switch swapped out, i drove it about 150 miles since the swap abs off-roaded, no issues

biTToe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi: Ordered 1/30/18 - Delivered 06/12/18- '06 TJ Rubi ( gone ), '75 CJ5 304-V8 (long gone)
I had the same issue after hitting a large pothole. The dealership said it was a broken wire, which they fixed to the tune of $275.

Everything was good for about 6 months, now I have the issue again, mostly when it's been raining, or after a visit to the car wash with a good undercarriage spray.

I guess i need to get under the Jeep, find a spliced wire, and repair it with some heatshrink

I think I'm going to pull the codes and see if they differ from @OBJLU
ƒ

Sponsored

OP
OP

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had the same issue after hitting a large pothole. The dealership said it was a broken wire, which they fixed to the tune of $275.

Everything was good for about 6 months, now I have the issue again, mostly when it's been raining, or after a visit to the car wash with a good undercarriage spray.

I guess i need to get under the Jeep, find a spliced wire, and repair it with some heatshrink

I think I'm going to pull the codes and see if they differ from @OBJLU
ƒ

I used JSCAN to pull the codes, it allows you to get them from the DTCM module which is where these specific codes will be stored. You need the blue-tooth transmitter and security bypass cables, I think I got it all, including the app for about 60 bucks but it's already paid off.

biTToe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi: Ordered 1/30/18 - Delivered 06/12/18- '06 TJ Rubi ( gone ), '75 CJ5 304-V8 (long gone)
I used JSCAN to pull the codes, it allows you to get them from the DTCM module which is where these specific codes will be stored. You need the blue-tooth transmitter and security bypass cables, I think I got it all, including the app for about 60 bucks but it's already paid off.
I bought a bluetooth OBD2 reader on Amazon for $15 and paired ti with an app on my phone. That has worked well for me. I will plug it in tomorrow and see what I can see.

There is also a recall on my clutch plate, so I will maybe kill two birds with on stone.

Was your issue resolved with the T-Case switch, or have they returned?

ƒ

Last edited:
OP
OP

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I bought a bluetooth OBD2 reader on Amazon for $15 and paired ti with an app on my phone. That has worked well for me. I will plug it in tomorrow and see what I can see.

There is also a recall on my clutch plate, so I will maybe kill two birds with on stone.

Was your issue resolved with the T-Case switch, or have they returned?

ƒ
The problem has been resolved no light!

ZgsProduct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 1987 YJ
Hi there I’m experiencing similar issues to this, have you had any issues since you switched out the t case switch with this? Ordering the switch right now.

Sponsored

PA JLUR

First Name
Cos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hey guys. Thanks for your post on this topic. You helped me get to the bottom of my issue. Adding some details in case others experience what I did. My symptoms were intermittent service 4x4, sway bar disconnect not available, and flickering 2H light. Also pulled the following codes from Tazer diagnostic tool.: DTCM: C1403-92, ABS: U0403-00, BCM: U1514-87, PCM: U1440.

I adjusted my 4x4 selector cable like the above post suggests and all issues are gone. Will report back if anything else creeps up.

schleckschling

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I adjusted my 4x4 selector cable like the above post suggests and all issues are gone. Will report back if anything else creeps up.
Hi, I'm facing the same issues with my Wrangler. What did you adjust in detail? I can't find any suggestions in the posts before...