Sponsored

Intermittent Connection at 7-pin Female Connector

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Anybody else have a problem with the MoPar female tow connector (for towing a trailer with the JL), where it doesn't make good contact and easily becomes electrically disconnected? The male plug stays in place (thanks to the block that the spring-loaded cap holds in place), but with little movement some of the electrical lugs stop making contact.
I've tried to bend them out towards the edge of the pattern, in hopes they'll not disconnect as easily, but not sure how long that will work.
My 7-pin/4-pin female connector is an OEM MoPar product the dealer installed, and it looks to be exactly the same as those on my Rams which never are intermittent. (I also have an aftermarket female connector on the coach for the toad that never intermittently disconnects plugged into the coach, but using that same cable to test by plugging it into the Jeep and then a towed Ram, it is intermittent)
Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Some of the male ends (from your trailer) have two metal blades that can be bent inwards to make a better contact. Also make sure that those contacts are clean. You can use a fingernail emery board to remove any corrosion and apply some contact cleaner and/or some dielectric contact grease.