Interior led lighting please help

xtremegene02

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Has anyone installed interior led lighting but want it connected to the auxiliary switches instead of the cigarette adapter. Looking to wire the lights to the auxiliary switches but not sure if I need to ground to the body or the battery. If anyone knows the answer please shoot me a line. The brand is airgoo and has a cigarette lighter adapter with a button on it to if course turn on and off the lights.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

not sure if I need to ground to the body or the battery.
Shouldn’t make a difference. Since you have the aux switches, you’ll likely use one of the connections in the footwell. You can then use one of the existing ground points there.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Has anyone installed interior led lighting but want it connected to the auxiliary switches instead of the cigarette adapter. Looking to wire the lights to the auxiliary switches but not sure if I need to ground to the body or the battery. If anyone knows the answer please shoot me a line. The brand is airgoo and has a cigarette lighter adapter with a button on it to if course turn on and off the lights.
@xtremegene02

Use either Aux 3 or 4 in the passenger foot well..... Both are fused at 15 amp.

You would snip off the lighter adapter on that LED light set you have.

Then you hook the power wire of the light set, to Aux 3 or 4 and the other wire to a decent grounding point in the foot well. See pic below for a ground point in the passenger foot well.

Do this and your LED lights will go on and off when you press the Aux button.

Jeep Wrangler JL Interior led lighting please help 12v source wires

Jeep Wrangler JL Interior led lighting please help footground

OP
OP
xtremegene02

xtremegene02

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Shouldn’t make a difference. Since you have the aux switches, you’ll likely use one of the connections in the footwell. You can then use one of the existing ground points there.
Yes but I used a ground on the body and burned the control box out and had to order new, don't want to do that again.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yes but I used a ground on the body and burned the control box out and had to order new, don't want to do that again.
The JL has interior ground points. Look at the post above. If you burned something out, you either had something connected wrong or you overloaded the circuit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
xtremegene02

xtremegene02

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
@xtremegene02

Use either Aux 3 or 4 in the passenger foot well..... Both are fused at 15 amp. You would snip off the lighter adapter on that LED light set. Then you hook the power wire to Aux 3 or 4 and the other wire to a decent grounding point. See pic below for a ground point... Do this and your LED lights will go on and off when you press the Aux button.

Thanks bud, so I can cut the adapter off correct and use that ground? I used one if the grounds above that one and burned out the control box. Don't need that again

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks bud, so I can cut the adapter off correct and use that ground? I used one if the grounds above that one and burned out the control box. Don't need that again
@xtremegene02

Well, I'm not familiar with that particular light set but... you should see...

Two wires come off of the LED strip going to the cig. lighter adapter. One is a power wire and the other a ground.

Power wire goes to Aux wire and the ground wire goes to the ground point pictured and circled in green. IF there is paint on the ground point, clean the paint off well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
xtremegene02

xtremegene02

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I used the ground that is the 2nd one up and it burned out the box, so being the other ground with no wires connected to it may work?

OP
OP
xtremegene02

xtremegene02

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
@xtremegene02

Well, I'm not familiar with that particular light set but... you should see...

Two wires come off of the LED strip going to the cig. lighter adapter. One is a power wire and the other a ground.

Power wire goes to Aux wire and the ground wire goes to the ground point pictured and circled in green. IF there is paint on the ground point, clean the paint off well.
So this led set also has a control box between the lights and the adapter, will that make a difference and how do I know which is hot and ground once I cut the adapter off?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used the ground that is the 2nd one up and it burned out the box, so being the other ground with no wires connected to it may work?
@xtremegene02

Only use the ground point circled in green. Clean paint off , so you have a good ground.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So this led set also has a control box between the lights and the adapter, will that make a difference and how do I know which is hot and ground once I cut the adapter off?
@xtremegene02

Take a close up picture and post here, so I can see what you have going on there.

What is the control box doing? Is it a dimmer or what. Do you want dimmer to work if so?
Sponsored