Threads
Reaction score
Website
4wheelsandamotor.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Writer
On initial start-up, my interior fans are speed limited. They do turn on and blow air but at 1/4 capacity. If I shut the Jeep off and restart they work normally with full adjustability and fan speed. If I let the Jeep sit for a few minutes between starting it will do this as well.

No codes, no other issues. Turning the system off and on does not reset it. I did the dual battery reset several times.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
Any mods that disable ESS?

OP
OP
4WAAM

4WAAM

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4wheelsandamotor.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
Any mods that disable ESS?
Yes. HP Tuners VCM Scanner. I wondered if there might be a correlation to the ESS and fan speed.

Is it the Jeep thinking it's in an engine stop scenario?

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did the Livernois tuner and disabling ESS made my fan act similar. Try without the tune and then see if HP can make you a tune with ESS enabled. Livernois gave me a tune with ESS on and I am back to normal.

OP
OP
4WAAM

4WAAM

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4wheelsandamotor.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
I did the Livernois tuner and disabling ESS made my fan act similar. Try without the tune and then see if HP can make you a tune with ESS enabled. Livernois gave me a tune with ESS on and I am back to normal.
Thanks, I will try that. I am doing my own tuning for an article series and just couldn't nail this issue down. I had suspected it was tied to the ESS. Once I see if this fixes it I plan to figure out if there is a way to disable it without the fan issue.

Sponsored

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It appears that disabling ESS caused an unreported fault for my setup. Hopefully thats the issue.

OP
OP
4WAAM

4WAAM

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4wheelsandamotor.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
It appears that disabling ESS caused an unreported fault for my setup. Hopefully thats the issue.
It's a massive storm outside right now but I will report back when I am able to see if this works.

OP
OP
4WAAM

4WAAM

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4wheelsandamotor.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
That took care of it. I liked having the start/stop turned off but it's more annoying to have to restart the Jeep to get the AC/Heat to work properly.

I turned it back on and it immediately worked correctly. To double-check I turned it off again and right back to the interior fans running at low speed without being able to turn the up to normal. Turn Auto Start-Stop back on and voila fans work normally again.

Thanks for the input.

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No problem. I am kind of neutral to ESS but it would be nice if tuners remembered last state on start up like the Pulsar.

OP
OP
4WAAM

4WAAM

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4wheelsandamotor.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
No problem. I am kind of neutral to ESS but it would be nice if tuners remembered last state on start up like the Pulsar.
I don't like the feature but as far as hitting the button I am neutral as well. A saved state function would be ideal.

Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, I have one of the inline Auto Stop Start “disablers”, and that does not affect my fan speed. So you may want to go with that option if you hate ESS as much as I do. :)

OP
OP
4WAAM

4WAAM

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4wheelsandamotor.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
FYI, I have one of the inline Auto Stop Start “disablers”, and that does not affect my fan speed. So you may want to go with that option if you hate ESS as much as I do. :)
May look into that if there isn't a way to get the software to work without the issue.

OP
OP
4WAAM

4WAAM

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4wheelsandamotor.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
I was able to make it work. Instead of disabling the Auto Start-Stop I was able to default the button to On making the Start-Stop default off.

OP
OP
4WAAM

4WAAM

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4wheelsandamotor.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
I was able to make it work. Instead of disabling the Auto Start-Stop, I was able to default the button to On making the Start-Stop default off. Almost like what you were talking about. It won't remember last used but it will always start in the turned off setting.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I had issues too, but it was the entire cluster that had to be replaced. My A/C delayed turning on, and then would work fine. It got so bad, it would take about 2 minutes before the A/C and fans would even blow. Replacing the cluster fixed everything.
Sponsored