Sponsored

Interior Design - Let's hear your thoughts!

What features do you look for the most when it comes to the center console?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
i just don’t like that I’ll have a red dash with my blue Jeep. Or I have to pay over 1k for leather seats to get a different color. Maybe the red should be reserved for the leather seats.
you could always have your dash painted to match ur jeep. : )
Sponsored

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
Could run ur chord like mine. I notched the piece where it comes out enough so if im not using it i can slide it back in. Just the plug sticks out.

E23B4CA7-620C-4AE3-A756-FE9D92603E8E.jpeg

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
A few things for me.

1. Console is fine.
  2. 4 way auto down and auto up power windows should be standard.
  3. Get the software in the Uconnect working better. It's pretty buggy. It forgets what apps are pushed down to the quick access bar. It has trouble launching some of the apps unless you wait for several minutes after starting the Jeep. The USB inside the console has trouble reading a thumb drive that it was using shortly before. I know it's consumer grade electronics but it's lower quality than average.
  4. Give us the ability to have a dedicated subwoofer level control with the Alpine system. Turning down the bass level affects more than just the subwoofer and makes it sound like garbage no matter what the setting is. If you turn down the bass enough to make the subwoofer a reasonable level there's a big hole in the sound between the over driven sub and the mid range. Fill in the upper bass and you get a horribly boomy low end that makes most music sound like crap.
  5. Back seats that fold flat would make the cargo area far more useful. And that includes having something covering the gap between the seat back and the rear cargo floor so that it's relatively smooth.
  6. The 4Runner lets you recline the rear seatbacks. That would go a long way towards making them more comfortable.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
My only real beef is the lack of temperature control knobs. In the transition between summer and autumn, the auto climate control feature is useless. If I want to avoid the Jeep actively fogging my windshield, I have to intervene manually. I have to set a temperature manually. If the thing had knobs, I could just twist a knob, instead of hitting the up or down arrow 42,000 times per day. I expect as we transition into winter, this will become 162,000 times per day.

Sponsored

Phantasos

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Wrangler 4xe Sahara
Occupation
Software
The JL console is pretty good at size versus function, especially with the 2 layer storage design, I like that.
PS - please add a power port (USB, etc) or at least a hidden ign+ wire at the top of the dash, and at the top of the windshield. For Dash cams, phones etc. Hat having to fish wires and tap into factory harness if it can be avoided. The Aux wires are awesome, loving those. Expand on that.
Count me as voting for the non-existent "Like the size, shape, and function we have now". Can't imagine why it was not included as an option.

Since the title "Interior Design..." opens the can of worms, I strongly agree that power connections at the mirror and power/USB connections at the top center of the dash should be a requirement. Why do I have to pull dash panels, make splices, and fish/shove wires behind trim pieces just to get power at the most common locations to add the most common electrical accessories to a vehicle? There is already power in the mirror and a short hop from the dash to power and usb connections.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My only real beef is the lack of temperature control knobs.

If the thing had knobs, I could just twist a knob, instead of hitting the up or down arrow 42,000 times per day. I expect as we transition into winter, this will become 162,000 times per day.
🤔

Jeep Wrangler JL Interior Design - Let's hear your thoughts! 20210905_132223

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
This is the one in my Jeep. I set auto to, say 70° and the windshield fogs up. I have to hit the top left front defrost button, and then hit the up arrow to take the temperature all the way to HI to stop the Jeep from ever blowing cold air on the windshield. Any cold air equals fog. From 70 to HI is about 15 clicks. Then I get in to go to work in the afternoon and I need the A/C, so I have to click down from HI to 70. The windshield fog management on this thing is not very good at all.

Jeep Wrangler JL Interior Design - Let's hear your thoughts! 1630888394654

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I am pretty happy with the current interior setup (2019 JLR). Certainly everyone would like more storage, but not at the expense of my comfort. I am 6'3" and "husky". Lets be honest, if there was more storage most people would just find more stuff to put in there. (although a dedicated sunglasses holder would be nice).

Part of me would like a dead pedal, but if it isn't positioned correctly, it would be a complaint and take up space, and it is impossible to satisfy everyone.

I do like the red dash that some Rubicons come with, but it doesn't match all exterior colors. I would not have gotten my 2019 Mojito if I had to get the red dash, I am happy with the silver dash and bright green exterior. I was even iffy on the red interior stitching with certain colors. I would have definitely gotten a different exterior color if I had to go with the red dash. I don't feel like I should have to take my dash apart to get it to be a color that is "fine".

I do run an aftermarket 67 Designs phone holder, and love it, I just wish there was a closer power port for it, instead the cord runs across the whole dash, passenger side to drivers side, bottom of the dash to the top of the dash. But it is hard to design and plan for aftermarket accessories (could potentially be solved by a Jeep/Mopar phone holder).

I do have a strong preference for knobs/switches, which I only realized was a problem as I start to look to replace my other vehicle. Not sure why some other vehicle designers don't understand this, maybe their accounting departments have a larger say than their designers. My 2019 JLR seems fine as far as this goes.

Part of me also feels like a Jeep should have a cup holder that can hold a 32oz Nalgene water bottle, maybe adjustable cup holders or different cup holder inserts could solve this (although a minor complaint). I do like the e-brake placement and manual 4wd transfer.

I do wish the 2 door Alpine subwoofer was either in a different spot, or was easy to clean. The grate over it should easily be removable to vacuum debris from it. As it is, it sits on the bottom of the cargo compartment, and just faces up, and can allow dirt or sand or anything else small and subjected to gravity to easily fall into it when you place things on top of it.

I do have the Safety and Advance Safety Packages, not sure why the steering wheel needs two buttons, one for the regular Cruise Control and a different one for Adaptive Cruise Control (unless I have been using them wrong).

One concern when I bought (and still have) is that my head seems somewhat close to the sportsbar (I'm 6'3"). I feel like I am compromising on my driving comfort/position to keep my head a bit further away from the sports bar. I know the Bronco solves this by placing their sports bar near the rear of their vehicle, but I have also hears complaints about their stereo because of it.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
First, I’d like to say that I’m fairly impressed with the JL’s interior. It has its drawbacks but it’s better than the Bronco IMO.

For the center console, I’d like to see something modular. How about making the center storage removable or replaceable. I could see a canvas case placed under that area. Make it so the case can be fully removed with anything that is stored in it.

On the dash, create at least TWO USB ports for the top of the dash (something the Bronco actually does) so we can have better cable management for devices.

uConnect 4 sucks. Get uConnect 5 out ASAP. A 12” screen would be nice but the 8” is still pretty good. However, don’t lose the physical buttons for HVAC, and other features. Many times we’re wheeling in the cold and wearing gloves. Physical buttons help.

Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Hey Jeep fam!

We'd love to hear from you & share your feedback. What features do you look for the most when it comes to the center console? Select all that apply and feel free to elaborate in the comments!

Jeep Cares
Given the manual transfer case shifter, smaller console is better for people looking for leg room and comfort while driving. I'm 6'3" 230lbs. since people gave measurements.

calbake

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Size-wise for the center console, im pretty happy with it as-is. I’m 6’0 tall and the JL is not a huge vehicle to begin with. Any larger and the center console would start to impact available leg room.
My only three requests for the interior would be as follows:

1. allow the lid of the center console to slide forward. It’s been put in a lot of Dodge models over the past 10+ years (not sure about other Jeep models). It shouldn’t take up any additional space and allows a much more comfortable armrest position when there are no cups in the cup holders.
2. Add a better place for smartphone storage for the driver. The slot between cup holders works great, but becomes very annoying as soon as you have cups in the cup holders.
3. Add a flip down armrest/cupholder in the middle of the rear seat. Would be much more convenient when you have one or two passengers in the back then the current floor mounted cup holders, although I would keep the ones located on the floor anyway!

If you could find a way to make the seats more comfortable on longer trips, that would just be a bonus 😄

p.s. I have a 2019 Sport JLU.

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I use an OCD console organizer to make it more usable.

The biggest issue is lack of a good place to keep your phone. I keep mine plugged into the console in the OCD tray. That way there are no cords. It would be better to have a wireless charger and wireless CarPlay. I get kind of tired of having to open the console every time I get in or out of the Jeep.

I also like that I have cupholders in the rear of the console. I can reach them from the front seat.

I think a truly secure locking console would be a good addition, even if it is an option with an upcharge.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
My one interior critique would be that the radio or touchscreen should display the time when it's off.

KilroyWasHere

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
How about not worrying about little stuff like optimizing the console and instead give us stuff like the ability to pair the manual trans with the diesel engine.
Sponsored