Sponsored

Interesting Use of Plastic in an Axle

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
While replacing the OEM axles with Dana Spicer Chrome Moly axles, the shop called me to confirm that I had bought the correct front axles for the FAD because the passenger side did not seem to fit properly. It turns out that I was the first person to replace the OEM with Dana parts versus RCV or another axle brand and the shop had not seen the below.

There is a bushing in the inner inner stub shaft that is made of plastic (item #3 in the image below) and the replacement axles are larger and thus this bushing is not required. Though perhaps not load bearing, it is a strange place to use a plastic bushing.

Thought that I would share...

Jeep Wrangler JL Interesting Use of Plastic in an Axle FAD
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I believe my 1993 has a similar bushing, its to keep dirt / water out, sort of. Not load bearing, just a " dust " shield

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe my 1993 has a similar bushing, its to keep dirt / water out, sort of. Not load bearing, just a " dust " shield
Not sure how that would work since it is on the inside of the axle. It makes up the difference in diameter between the inner shaft and the inner inner shaft.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, they're not a dust shield. These are a bushing between the passenger inner and outer shafts (near the FAD collar).

Here's a pic of where it's at (mine broke when I pulled it out with a set of pliers):

Jeep Wrangler JL Interesting Use of Plastic in an Axle IMG_0271

@CarbonSteel : When I installed the Dana Chromo axles I found the same thing and realized that bushing had to be removed. I think a bronze bushing would've been better/stronger, but the bean counters probably figured the plastic piece is "good enough".

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, they're not a dust shield. These are a bushing between the passenger inner and outer shafts (near the FAD collar).

Here's a pic of where it's at (mine broke when I pulled it out with a set of pliers):

Jeep Wrangler JL Interesting Use of Plastic in an Axle IMG_0271

@CarbonSteel : When I installed the Dana Chromo axles I found the same thing and realized that bushing had to be removed. I think a bronze bushing would've been better/stronger, but the bean counters probably figured the plastic piece is "good enough".
Agreed! A number of different things they could have done other than plastic. I was very surprised (perhaps I should not have been) that plastic was there versus metal.
Sponsored