First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hog wash. 2018 Rubicon, JLU, on KO2s, can steer with my pinky. Better than my JK, which wasn't bad either, but better.

The wheel is very responsive, it has to be, perhaps it takes a bit to get in the flow of not over-steering, like when one is learning to drive.

Purchased in Aug, not death wobble, no steering issues, ESS is fine, climate control is fine.

I dunno.
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
My brother-in-law is completely new to the JL... he hasn't read anything, talked to anybody, or been in the threads. He wanted to take one for a ride so I accompanied him to a dealership this weekend. He was completely blown away by the improvements... the smooth engine... the ride quality... the interior / exterior upgrades... and the stereo. The one thing that immediately turned him off in his words: "it keeps wandering all over the road... it's difficult to keep it pointed in the direction you want to go". I took a turn and would have to agree. The wandering steering issue is still out there and it's enough to keep me from buying yet too.
That wondering is there for a reason. It makes you pay attention to driving and not texting :like:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My sis-in-law' husband drove my recently purchased JLUR for the week that they stayed at our place and commented it was "squirrely" on the freeway. He had not read nor heard any comments on the steering of the JL nor even knew the terms JL, JK etc. Just a uncoached perspective and comment.

For my part on my vehicle, I've come to think that this is a steering hysterisis (lag) issue that causes driver to feel his input is not doing enough, more steering input is made, and then the vehicle over shoots the desired path. The specific lag seems to have more impact to the driver inducing more, or a countering input, at higher speeds. In scientific terms: The steering feels squissy.

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
My JLR came with 42psi inch tire. CRAZY, I lowered them all to 31PSI, much better ride etc. I will get the taser to shut off the low pressure warning.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm dropping tire pressure from 38 (cold) to 32 psi today, based on all the posts. Previous posts just mentioned 37 psi. I didn't bother, since my pressure fluctuates below 37 when cold.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
A 2 door with 43 psi in the tires will handle like a roller skate

Reactions: JC7

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'll chime in here too...

I've test driven quite a few JLs while waiting for mine to be built. I really think a huge issue on the ones at the lots are overinflated tires. They're set at close to 40 PSI. It is nuts. If I were a dealer, I'd go out and air them all down to 28-30 before anyone tries them.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I hear that tire pressure can cure some cancers also. :facepalm:

You guys kill me. Lol. You'd have to significantly over-inflate the tires to creates changes at the steering. And the spec is 36-37 PSI so 40-45 PSI is not "nuts".

And for the record, the "wanders all over the road" sensation people are experiencing with the JL isn't based upon being new to Jeeps. People who've been driving solid axle Jeeps for decades are noticing it too. We've been hashing this out for nearly a year now. Why does the same misinformation keep being spread?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think there are definitely issues for some. There are some pretty specific posts that are describing behavior that is not normal or acceptable.

But then there are many, many more that have no issues at all (mine included).

What gets me is that people are waiting it out.

You may get a lemon. Or you may get a great jeep like tens of thousands of us have.

All waiting is going to do is cost you more money both in sticker and financing.

Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I was so excited to get into the new JLU, found one on a lot the way i liked it. Worked out a deal with the sales guy over the phone. Told him i was coming to pick it up so have it cleaned up and ready to go. I said as long as the test drive is good I'm taking it home. Test drive was great to me. It was my first time driving such a vehicle so I figured the feel was just going to be something i had to get use to.

Then driving home on the highway i felt a bit of the wandering, i had to pay alot more attention than i ever had to before driving to keep my lane. Again figured I had to get use to the Jeep. Did some reading that I should check the tire pressure. Aired down to the mid 30s, problem went away and my Jeep drives like a dream!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@WXman

I can tell you my 2 dr. JL steers totally different with the tires inflated at 37, 38, 39, 40, 41,42,43,44,45. The JL wanders all over the place when tires are at these pressures. Now, set the pressures to 32# to 35# psi and there is no wandering, tracking is very good and well, the steering on my 2 dr. is great.

For the record, I have owned many Jeeps.... to include a few JK's.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
In agreeance with RB01--My drive from my FAVORITE LITTLE TOWN DEALER to my house is/was 8 minutes--6 months ago and on 35mph city streets--

Total uncontrollable steering and dangerous wandering--I would have HATED TO GO ON FREEWAY !!

At home checked tire air pressure--ALL IN EXCESS OF 45PSI--all I did was drop to 30PSI and droved away--PERFECT CONTROL up to 55 mph--

Now with 35" tires also at 30PSI--no change--PREDICTABLE/STEADY CONTROL--

Ya gotta CHECKITOUT-

W.E.

JIMBO

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
I will try lowering my pressure just a bit more. The KO2's were inflated to 42 from the factory and the dealer never adjusted them. Both my wife and I have experienced the slight wandering. Steering does feel tight and responsive, however, it seems that if you wander to the right, a slight bit of left on the wheel sends you off too far to the left. Way more correcting and paying attention than I've had to do with any of my last 3 full size SUV's and even my current F-150. I had dropped the pressure to the recommended 37 posted on the door and it seemed a little better, but is still there. I will try going down to 34 and see if that helps as others have posted.

If it continues, I may have the dealer double check the alignment during its first oil change. I've read improper toe can also contribute to the wandering.

Lastly, a friend of ours also has an '18 JLUR. A test drive of his and vice versa may be in order.

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
I ordered a JLU Sport S a couple weeks ago and I test drove one the day I ordered to make sure I liked it. The one I test drove had all the same options and same trim as the one I ordered. The only differences were year (I drove an '18, ordered a '19) and color (drove black, ordered gray). The Jeep I drove felt great and I didn't notice any steering issues or drift or anything. I almost considered buying the one I test drove because it felt so good -- sort of the "bird in hand" mindset. Hopefully the one I ordered feels just as nice to drive.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: JC7