Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Guys: I’m swapping a 392 wheel into my diesel JLUR for paddle shifters. Do you think I should reinstall the weight or leave it out, since the 392 wheel is already a little heavier than my OEM wheel, or so it seems. I don’t have a scale here to be exact.

Update: I left it in and it feels great. Nice and weighted.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout
I guess I wasn't very clear in the order of things:

- My 2020 JLUR (gas engine) came with the brushed aluminum-looking plastic steering wheel bezel.
- I installed a black plastic steering wheel bezel from a JL Sport onto my 2020 JLUR about 18 months ago
- When my 2022 JLUR (diesel engine) arrived last week, I swapped the black plastic steering wheel bezel from my 2020 with the brushed aluminum-looking plastic bezel that came on the 2022. This allowed me to have the bezel I want on the Jeep I'm keeping (the 2022), and return the Jeep I'm selling (the 2020) to stock form.

The part number for the black plastic Sport steering wheel bezel is 6RN48TXDAA, is about $75, and can be swapped out in about 45 minutes if you're doing it for the first time, 15 once you've done it once.
Hello. Perhaps you can answer a question I have been pondering since installing the winch this weekend. To 100% disable 12V power, do you have to disconnect the main battery, remove it, and disconnect the smaller battery? I don't know why it is there, start/stop is never available when I turn it on due to being at a light for a while. There is a large sticker on my negative battery wire but in the owner's manual it does not address using a jumper pack like my GB40, only that I am supposed to place the negative jumper cable to the frame / a ground. Thanks in advance! I, too, hate that chrome so I may look for the part number you listed.

STLJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Guys: I’m swapping a 392 wheel into my diesel JLUR for paddle shifters. Do you think I should reinstall the weight or leave it out, since the 392 wheel is already a little heavier than my OEM wheel, or so it seems. I don’t have a scale here to be exact.
Tell me more about this swap. What else needs to be done to make the paddles work?

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Hello. Perhaps you can answer a question I have been pondering since installing the winch this weekend. To 100% disable 12V power, do you have to disconnect the main battery, remove it, and disconnect the smaller battery? I don't know why it is there, start/stop is never available when I turn it on due to being at a light for a while. There is a large sticker on my negative battery wire but in the owner's manual it does not address using a jumper pack like my GB40, only that I am supposed to place the negative jumper cable to the frame / a ground. Thanks in advance! I, too, hate that chrome so I may look for the part number you listed.
Yes, I can now say with certainty that both batteries need to be disconnected. I had unhooked the terminals from the main battery, and much to my surprise, when I opened the door, the dash lit up and the interior lights came on. I scoured the owners manual after seeing the same sticker on the negative terminal, and couldn't find a single word about it. So I googled and youtubed and found out that one of the big black cables going to the main ground terminal is the negative from the lower battery (which is underneath the main battery, and is used for the electronic start stop system), and there is a large red cable that branches off the main positive lead (I checked these using a multimeter - they both have similar ends on those cables (red to pos and black to neg)). It wasn't until I undid both of those that the vehicle lost all power and I could safely remove my airbag.

I wish I would have seen the post about the black trim; for $75, I would have done that at the same time I did the wheel and shifters.

Last edited:

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Tell me more about this swap. What else needs to be done to make the paddles work?
There are posts on this forum; just search paddle shifters in the title. HERE is one.

In a nutshell, you need shifters, and then a Tazer to activate the shifters. I bought mine from threedom.com, (forum vendor) and they included little plastic covers for the OEM steering wheel that make the shifters look more OEM on the non-392 steering wheel (the OEM paddle shifter bezel was designed for the 392 wheel, but works perfectly plug-and-play in a non-392 wheel. I just wanted the feel of the thicker 392 wheel). The project took about 2.5 hours, and I watched at least 2 different Youtube videos: this ONE being the most helpful
Sponsored

Last edited: