Sponsored

Interesting read about Jeep dependability.......

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Good info and perspective. I have to say aside from the occasional death wobble, my JL has given me two trouble free years. Compared to my two S10s that were loaded with issues, I think we've made a ton of leaps in reliability with modern vehicles.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Great info. I had lots of issues with my 18 JLUR the first two years but only two that left me stranded. One was by design-the dual battery setup with the baby battery. The other was my fault-improper ly locating the alternator charging wire after installing a Genesis. After the first two years, all the bugs were finally worked out and it's been a joy to wheel. The problems I encounter now are all due to my putting (or trying to put) it into places it doesn't belong.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Exactly this:

When driving into an overlander campground or hangout, it is always easy to spot the drivers battling constant vehicle problemsā€”their first question is not where Iā€™m from or where Iā€™m headedā€”but where do I source parts for my not-so-common Jeep. They never seemed to like my reply. The answer is I just didnā€™t need to. My Jeep never broke down, and I only once turned a wrench for anything other than routine maintenance. I distinctly remember one couple in Peru asking if I had trouble running out of T-shirts. Not following them, I asked for an explanation, and they had to admit lying on the ground under their vehicle was a daily occurrence, and it had become impossible to keep their clothes oil-free.
While Iā€™m sure this debate about old versus new will continue for years to come, we only need to examine the vehicles chosen for the world-record-setting Expeditions 7 around-the-world endeavor. With the ability and resources to select any vehicle on the entire planet, the team decided to drive modern computer-controlled vehicles straight off the showroom floor. Itā€™s no surprise they never encountered a single mechanical issue while crossing all seven continents.
Think long and hard about how you want your trip to be defined: lying in the dirt wrenching on your vehicle or eating street food and bantering with locals about the price of a cold beverage. We should all think twice before romanticizing old vehicles that are extremely expensive and difficult to legally import into North America. It is almost a certainty an old vehicle will require more repairs and constant attention than the newer one already sitting in your driveway.

Reminds me of a buddy of mine who drives an old Toyota. He gives me a hard time when I buy a new Jeep (usually after I've traded the old one for close to what I paid just a few years ago).

His Toyota "was paid for a long time ago." He will often say something like this right before telling me about a $7,000 repair bill, or the $20,000 engine replacement bill he's staring at.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Well, he drives a JK. Clearly he hasnā€™t had to deal with the stupid dual battery setup on JL.

I doubt he would have gotten past Tijuana... šŸ˜«

Sponsored

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
I feel like the same factory workers that build his Wrangler must have built mine. I read so many posts about issues & problems (the TSB, recall, issues thread makes my stomach turn), that I feel *lucky* to have a problem free build. The worst I can complain about in 11K+ miles so far was a squeaking clutch pedal at mile 500 that I fixed with lithium spray at the spring & pivot points, and a creaking steering wheel that I fixed with silicone spray at the rubber grommet & plastic ferrule that goes through the firewall. I keep waiting...

Maverickxeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2002 TJ Sport
I've owned 4 Jeeps at this point - 2 ZJs (96 and 94; both 5.2L), a 02 TJ sport (4.0L), and now a 21 JL Unlimited Sport S (3.6L mild hybrid).

I clearly am a fan of the reliability of Jeeps. The two ZJs got through so much - I only got rid of them (at different times) for body rot. The TJ I still own (have had a trouble-free 160k KM - has 300k KM on it now!), and the JL only has 1350KM. I have no doubts in the reliability of it long term.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
Jeep content acknowledged. However....

...JK content on a FAR superior JL forum is unforgivable*.

As a non-mod, I must ban you to a non-existent JL-snobbery version of Gulag, where you shall rot until you purge all JK content from your soul...

...*unless you are just a Jeep purist, in which case we shall let your transgressions slide. Because JEEP!
Sponsored