Interesting call from my dealer...

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I have a 2019 JLU Sport S 2.0 with eTorque. Dealer called today and offered to put me in a 2021 sport s with the same options minus eTorque of course. Same payments, rate and term. I realize that they are not doing this out of the kindness of their heart.
The dealer called you, so you've at least a little leverage in any subsequent conversations.

Even if I wasn't interested in replacing my current vehicle, I'd be tempted to have a test discussion with the salesman anyway, if only to get some intel on the extent to which they'd be willing to make the sale or trade happen. That's what you file away for the day when you do walk in to the showroom with the intent of buying that Rubicon.
Sponsored

Ocotillo Boy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
also 0% apr now for 84 months. that helps keep the payment but doesn't save you the price jump from a sahara to a rubi.
0% for 84 months on wrangler? Never seen this before. You sure about that?

VolvDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR / 08 F350
I'd call back, ask for a fully loaded Rubicon with equal payments and just a flat trade. They'll reject that and you go on with life loving the jeep you have and you didn't spend time at the dealer.

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
According to the Washington Post article from last week, used car prices have risen 17% in the last seven months.

On the offer they are proposing, the dealer will reset the clock on your payments for the new Jeep and may be able to sell your trade-in Jeep for more than the payoff balance on your current loan. That typically doesn’t make mathematical sense since the principle on a loan is not going to be paid off at a faster rate than the depreciation but with low interest rates on new cars and high demand for used cars (which also might mean higher interest rate for the next buyer) we might be in an usual situation right now.

I entered my 2018 JLUS details into KBB and got a private seller value that was $200 above the price I paid for it new.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/03/13/car-prices-inflation-economy/

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I’m impressed that these old school sales tactics still work. People who walk in the door because the dealership “wants your vehicle” and then get shafted because they’re too busy staring at a payment number are a dealership’s dream.

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I just bought my JLU and didn't know the payment until all the numbers were finalized. The payment didn't matter to me.

They are trying to get you in the door. Sure, they'll sell at the same price but they'll tact on that wonderful warranty and crap making it more expensive. If you're happy with your jeep, don't bother.

If you really want a new jeep, wait until 2022 or 2023 models.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I still get calls from Ford because "They have someone who wants my Mustang". It was a 2006 Mustang GT, that I sold in 2019. It hadn't been in a dealership since the airbag recall.

The "We have someone..." is just a sales pitch to get you into the lot, so they can try to upsell you a new vehicle.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I still get calls from Ford because "They have someone who wants my Mustang". It was a 2006 Mustang GT, that I sold in 2019. It hadn't been in a dealership since the airbag recall.

The "We have someone..." is just a sales pitch to get you into the lot, so they can try to upsell you a new vehicle.
Well, when the say “we have someone...”, they ain’t got no buyer just yet. :LOL: So they are technically saying the truth.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There’s a shortage of vehicle inventory at the moment, both new and used. Which means dealers should be eager to pay pretty dollar for a Wrangler in trade that is in good condition.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
OP should post some numbers so we can tear this deal apart. Seems unlikely to be the best possible for a new jeep. Seems more likely to be one of the worst possible. Hard to say for sure w/o some actual numbers.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Its a very generic and very common sales tactic to get your interest.

In other news, used car values are up because of covid created supply/demand so your current one might be worth more then usual.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
This message I got last month seems relevant :CWL:

I'm in Canada :) I bought my Jeep 5 months earlier

LOL

Jeep Wrangler JL Interesting call from my dealer... View recent photos

STOP

SweetFish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited S
Ive been considering trading in my 2019 JL with low miles because I really like the army green color, want bigger wheels and a trailer hitch. Would you recommend I be upfront about trading up or should I negotiate price first and then throw in the trade?
Sponsored