Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE, 2023 JTRD, 2024 JLRX 4xe
This message I got last month seems relevant :CWL:

I'm in Canada :) I bought my Jeep 5 months earlier

LOL

View recent photos.jpeg

STOP
HAHA, no joke.

“Getting you massive trade in values” is language for screwing you over on the vehicle purchase price.

It’s just a way to prey on people focused on “how much my payment is”. There’s no free lunch.

Now, you very well might negotiate a good deal that you’re happy with. But just go in with eyes open.
Sponsored

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE, 2023 JTRD, 2024 JLRX 4xe
Ive been considering trading in my 2019 JL with low miles because I really like the army green color, want bigger wheels and a trailer hitch. Would you recommend I be upfront about trading up or should I negotiate price first and then throw in the trade?

Don’t lie, but ALWAYS negotiate OTD price first. Preferable do this entirely via email. Once you’re happy with the numbers go in and have them evaluate the trade, etc. They are separate items/transactions. Getting them both going at the same time let’s the sales person push numbers around, distracts from the actual purchase price, etc.

You can easily tell what you car is actually worth on a given day. Just do an “instant cash offer” appraisal type deal. There are many available on the web. Knowing what a dealer would write you a check for at that moment is what your care is really worth... not a “trade allowance”.

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
They have done offered that to me almost ever 2 yeas on every Jeep I have owned ? Wonder what is up with that?

SweetFish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited S
Don’t lie, but ALWAYS negotiate OTD price first. Preferable do this entirely via email. Once you’re happy with the numbers go in and have them evaluate the trade, etc. They are separate items/transactions. Getting them both going at the same time let’s the sales person push numbers around, distracts from the actual purchase price, etc.

You can easily tell what you car is actually worth on a given day. Just do an “instant cash offer” appraisal type deal. There are many available on the web. Knowing what a dealer would write you a check for at that moment is what your care is really worth... not a “trade allowance”.
Thanks for the feedback. Thats what I was thinking but also considered that if they knew about the trade up front they would have another place to move numbers around.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
According to the Washington Post article from last week, used car prices have risen 17% in the last seven months.

On the offer they are proposing, the dealer will reset the clock on your payments for the new Jeep and may be able to sell your trade-in Jeep for more than the payoff balance on your current loan. That typically doesn’t make mathematical sense since the principle on a loan is not going to be paid off at a faster rate than the depreciation but with low interest rates on new cars and high demand for used cars (which also might mean higher interest rate for the next buyer) we might be in an usual situation right now.

I entered my 2018 JLUS details into KBB and got a private seller value that was $200 above the price I paid for it new.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/03/13/car-prices-inflation-economy/
This is how I got into a Wrangler. I bought a commuter a year ago for WAY under MSRP and in COVID it became worth more than I bought it for, even with 30k on it. That allowed me to use the equity for a downpayment on a “used” Wrangler. If you see something on their lot that is an upgrade you’re interested in it might be worth hearing them out. Like people said, keep an eye on the pre-TTL price and the trade in value. OTD can be hard because of how taxes work in many states when a trade is involved.

Sponsored

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
I have a 2019 JLU Sport S 2.0 with eTorque. Dealer called today and offered to put me in a 2021 sport s with the same options minus eTorque of course. Same payments, rate and term. I realize that they are not doing this out of the kindness of their heart. What do you all think? I also could use this opportunity to bump to a rubicon depending on what the additional per month would come out to.
I love the wheeling and dealing. I'd be all over that, but go with the intention of getting something more upscale like the Sahara or Rubicon. Just play with the numbers. They clearly want your business so spend a couple hours and maybe you'll end up with something nicer. More then likely you will. Just be a strong negotiator. You know they want your business.

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
also 0% apr now for 84 months. that helps keep the payment but doesn't save you the price jump from a sahara to a rubi.
You got be excited for a bit. Thought it was my lucky day. I was ready change from 3.9% to 0% when my order came in!

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
Some places in the world you can buy a wrangler for 0% for 84?
Nope, i misread it. Sorry about that. it was indeed too good to be true. Doing some comparison for my order and I see a 'good' rate now is low 2% for 72 months.

HsyJeeps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
I have a 2019 JLU Sport S 2.0 with eTorque. Dealer called today and offered to put me in a 2021 sport s with the same options minus eTorque of course. Same payments, rate and term. I realize that they are not doing this out of the kindness of their heart. What do you all think? I also could use this opportunity to bump to a rubicon depending on what the additional per month would come out to.
I took in my 2018 JL Sahara (Manual) to the dealer two weeks ago to check on trade in value. I switched out the hard top I bought it with, and put on my soft top. They still offered my $32K for the trade. I traded up to a 2021 JL Rubicon. Same payment, just extended Loan.

I looked this week to see if they had my Sahara listed....they did for $39,100. I bought it for $39k flat. 3 Years old, 19K miles, no hard top, and listed higher than what I paid......

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I looked this week to see if they had my Sahara listed....they did for $39,100. I bought it for $39k flat. 3 Years old, 19K miles, no hard top, and listed higher than what I paid...
I just looked up the valuation for my JLU. The Kelly Blue Book site provided a median Private Party figure that is $1,500.00 more than the number on the actual window sticker. 😮
Sponsored