OP

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Kind of surprised at the direction of the replies, but okay, I am listening.

I don't have a repair bill yet because it's under warranty. Warranty would imply that the problems could be fixed. I'd be okay, if they could fix my problems. So far, no. I have owned six CJ or Wrangler models, from 1963 to 2019. Up until now, I liked them. I would like to think I am a Jeep guy, not a Prius guy. Being a long time Jeep guy, I really don't need or expect a lot. I didn't expect it would be a Cadillac. I didn't expect it to be military-grade (and you are completely missing my point) But THIS one is different. It's not just that there are a few manufacturing defects. Mine has basic operational flaws; and they knowingly let them out the DOOR that way. THAT'S why I am disappointed in the corporation. They have no integrity. You're right though, in that it is true of many corporations these days. But all those other corporations are not named JEEP. The word is synonymous with integrity.

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Not understanding the D Day reference. Yes there were Jeeps in the war, but they didn't storm the beach with them. Men on foot stormed the beach.

Either way, I'm in that silent mega majority who've not had any issues. Drove my JLUR off the lot in January 2018 and almost 23,000 miles later I still feel like I'm driving a brand new vehicle.

Garweft

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Original Jeep mb’s are glorified golf carts. Fun little buggies to scoot around in, but about as reliable as old farm equipment can be.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Okay, I give up making the three-way, abstract connection between the toughness of the guys during D-Day, the legend of the Jeep name and basic integrity and accountability. I give up. I really do. It's okay. I guess I am a pretty old school, old fart, thinking that I should spend stupid-big money on a vehicle and expect that the company at least THOUGHT it was okay to ship. Just for the record, though: One of my most favorite, daily-driver vehicles, was a 1997 Wrangler with a 2.5 liter and 221K miles when I finally had to give it up. That thing would basically reach critical mass at 65 mph; and that was okay with me! At least the engine ran smoothy.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I don't mind the 3.6 with the 8 speed trans, but I miss my I6 4.0 in my TJ! The 8 speed is a real improvement (imo) over my husband's JKU with the 5 speed trans. It just feels sluggish to me.

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Okay, I give up making the three-way, abstract connection between the toughness of the guys during D-Day, the legend of the Jeep name and basic integrity and accountability. I give up. I really do. It's okay. I guess I am a pretty old school, old fart, thinking that I should spend stupid-big money on a vehicle and expect that the company at least THOUGHT it was okay to ship. Just for the record, though: One of my most favorite, daily-driver vehicles, was a 1997 Wrangler with a 2.5 liter and 221K miles when I finally had to give it up. That thing would basically reach critical mass at 65 mph; and that was okay with me! At least the engine ran smoothy.
Thing is no matter the brand or legacy of it, and no matter the cost they are all man made. All buy from the same parts vendors electronic suppliers. Takata anyone?? What i do if i get a problem vehicle? I attempt to have it fixed first,then give the Dealer chances to repair. If the dealer can not then I file lemon law on it.. I had 2 Lemon Law Fords bought back in a row, and id still buy a Mustang knowing my past issues with the brand. It just dont matter anymore price doesnt mean quality. Sadly we are in a Global market of China and Mexican electronics, and components that have poor quality control.. This is all Brands unfortunately...Takata is just one example of a supplier that made several brands including Lexus and Toyota look bad.. Hell their shity product killed several in low speed collisions under 20 mph..Just saying

Last edited:

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
No kidding. I was involved in that process for a while, and it is unbelievable how much more something costs because the gov is paying for it.
The other side of that coin is the DOD inserting mil specs that drive costs through the roof from the contractor's side. I remember having to do research on obscure mil specs that required ridiculous testing or material certifications that drove costs to produce up exponentially. I remember when someone published a coffee pot for an aircraft that had to operate upside down as part of the spec.. Much of this obviously stupid waste has been addressed but because it's the goobermint, I'm certain some still lives on.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
The only part of the OP i disagree with is the assumption that any corporation has integrity. I find that ridiculous. The entire point of these companies is to leverage the brand name while producing the most profitable version of the vehicle that sells the most units. Largest profit per unit and most units sold. That's basically all that matters. Once you accept this your life will be less stressful.

Sponsored

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My JL has had two very minor defects in 16k miles. I do not feel they are worthy of complaining or ranting.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I think the discussion of military technology got people more than a little off topic. To your point, I understand you feel betrayed by Jeep for the failure of your vehicle. Bottom line is you got a bit of a lemon. Some are easier to fix than others, and the dealer is certainly wronging you (that's what most dealers do). But these things happen. I'm sure they happened even with the originals--half the appeal of the original Jeep was the ease of repair.

I develop military technology. I work for the "goobermint," specifically the Army. If you think anybody fields tech that's junk knowingly, you're completely off base. We do the best we can, though so much can go wrong in a combat relevant environment. 15k miles in a war zone? Hell yes that vehicle will have problems.

Jeep's the same way. They're passionate about the brand and image, and the JL shows it. I'm sorry you got a less than stellar unit, but outliers do not diminish the brand.

OP
OP

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Okay. I lose. The good news is that if nothing else, I am a patient person; so I am going to give them every chance to try and fix it. I really hope they do fix it. I WANT to like it. Hell, when I step on it, it takes off like a Tomahawk missile , compared to me 2.5. I just have to get over this notion of people being accountable, that's all. I'll go find a shrink.

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
These forums are hilarious. "Many fundamental flaws" uhhhh what? My Jeep and the other JL owners I know have not had a single issue with them. In fact they are running exceptionally well even after the major upgrades we have all done to them. Lift kits, 37's, winches, lights, etc. People on these forums need to get a grip with reality.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Jeep has never been known as a reliable brand. Even in service they broke constantly. It was part of their charm. They were just easy to fix back then.

People who want reliability and integrity buy Hondas and Toyotas. People buy Wranglers because they want fun and all American.

The interesting thing is that by adding more creature comforts, FCA has opened up a new market segment of first-time Wrangler owners who expect their Wrangler to be as refined as the Honda Pilot they traded in.
Sponsored