Insurance rates: Manual vs Automatic

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Has anyone shopped insurance rates between the two to see if there really is any difference? I think that would be interesting.

Screenshot_20180710-115651_Instagram.jpg
Love that tire cover
Sponsored

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Been in the industry for 24 years. Tranny, color, etc does not matter one bit. All insurance companies want a VIN to plug in that tells the system what to charge. It's based on various things like cost, cost to repair, safety equipment, theft deterrent and god knows what else. My Sport S fully optioned (sticker 39K - NOT what I paid for it) is actually a lot cheaper than my 2014 Honda Accord coupe top of the line sticker 29K. Strange. BUT...what you have to remember is that not a whole lot of accidents, thefts, etc have happened the the 2018's so time will tell if the rates stay the same, go down, or raise. It takes a whole lot of data to change the rates on a car.

One major factor I'm thinking is the Jeep has real bumpers that's not part of the body. It's just a bumper and not some $1500 part to replace (well I would hope not). Do any other cars made today have real numbers.

Yea - 24 years in insurance and unless you're into being an actuary none of us others will ever know.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Been in the industry for 24 years. Tranny, color, etc does not matter one bit. All insurance companies want a VIN to plug in that tells the system what to charge. It's based on various things like cost, cost to repair, safety equipment, theft deterrent and god knows what else. My Sport S fully optioned (sticker 39K - NOT what I paid for it) is actually a lot cheaper than my 2014 Honda Accord coupe top of the line sticker 29K. Strange. BUT...what you have to remember is that not a whole lot of accidents, thefts, etc have happened the the 2018's so time will tell if the rates stay the same, go down, or raise. It takes a whole lot of data to change the rates on a car.

One major factor I'm thinking is the Jeep has real bumpers that's not part of the body. It's just a bumper and not some $1500 part to replace (well I would hope not). Do any other cars made today have real numbers.

Yea - 24 years in insurance and unless you're into being an actuary none of us others will ever know.

Real bumpers, I just replaced mine and a 12 pack weighs more than the rear plastic bumper. The front bumper maybe a case.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
$71 more every 6 months for me, USAA

2010 F150
To
2018 JLUR Loaded 6sp
Thatā€™s impressive. We are buying the jeep as a 3rd vehicle and was quoted approx $150 per month just for it. Was surprised that it was that high. 3rd vehicles in the past havenā€™t caused the premiums to increase much. Lucky for us everyone acted like idiots during tax day flood, Harvey and any other large rain event and the insurance fraud was atrocious. We get to pay for that

Brett

iPooted83

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Mine quoted less for 2019 MT Rubi than I paid for my Auto Xterra. Go figure...

Sponsored

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Has anyone shopped insurance rates between the two to see if there really is any difference? I think that would be interesting.
I can't speak to all insurance companies, but there is no 'auto/manual' difference with State Farm.

All they care about (from the vehicle perspective) is Year, Make, Model, Trim (in this case: Sport. Sahara, Rubi), and, occasionally, if the vehicle has some sort of crash-monitoring capabilities, such as OnStar. Rubicon is definitely more expensive to insure than Sport, almost certainly because of its MSRP being higher, not because it is 'riskier' to own/insure.

I have received literally dozens of pre-purchase price quotes from them over the years as I've replaced vehicles, and never once did they ask for transmission type on anything, including the Jeeps, (no VIN supplied for quote, thus no way of knowing trans type). Every time, the post-purchase insurance premium that I end up paying (with VIN supplied) is exactly as quoted, regardless of whether I purchased a manual or an automatic (and yes, I do buy both).

Last edited:

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Iā€™ve done many studies with hundreds of thousands of car years. Transmission has never been significant when also analyzed with other significant factors that are correlated to transmission choice (like sports cars).

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
You went from a 8 year old Ford truck to a new jeep. Big difference in value.
Exactly, going with exact same coverage from my 2 door '09 JK to my 2 door '18 JL my insurance increased ~$80 every 6 months. I figured that was purely based on value of vehicle alone as the JL has way more safety features than the JK
Sponsored