Insurance Premiums Going Bonkers? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

SmallCrawler

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
The last time I visited Florida (for training in 2004) it was unrecognizable. I spent a week south of Tampa, and I didn’t hear a single southern accent until I was fueling up to return my rental car. Not at the airport, or the hotel, or the stores, beaches, or restaurants… It was like every bit of Florida had been excised or erased in favor of staggering numbers of city folks from New York, New Jersey, and elsewhere. I couldn’t find open beach anywhere. The southern manners were gone too. Even the food was different. I can’t imagine what it‘s like after another twenty years of that evolution — but I always feel for the old folks who knew it way back when.
Due to sea-level rise Florida might be an out-migration state in 20 years.

SmallCrawler

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR

Sponsored

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
… I don't carry un or under insured as Comprehensive still covers that. and I have GAP….
Not picking a fight, but you’re 100% wrong here. UM/UIM is for injury damages, the other is for vehicle damages. The coverages do not overlap in any way

Last edited:

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Not picking a fight, but you’re 100% wrong here. UM/UIM is for injury damages, the other is for vehicle damages. The coverages do not overlap in any way
Since they do not overlap and I’m 100% wrong, you might find this interesting.

“Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage pays if you're hit by someone who didn't have insurance or didn't have enough to pay your medical and car repair bills. It also pays if you're in a hit-and-run accident. Insurance companies must offer you this coverage. If you don't want it, you must tell the company in writing.”

you’re right, the amount of misinformation on this topic is mind blowing….. you’re welcome. If you don’t have this coverage, Comprehensive will pick it up.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Since they do not overlap and I’m 100% wrong, you might find this interesting.

“Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage pays if you're hit by someone who didn't have insurance or didn't have enough to pay your medical and car repair bills. It also pays if you're in a hit-and-run accident. Insurance companies must offer you this coverage. If you don't want it, you must tell the company in writing.”

you’re right, the amount of misinformation on this topic is mind blowing….. you’re welcome. If you don’t have this coverage, Comprehensive will pick it up.
I should expand, because I wasn’t 100% accurate in my statement in an effort to keep it simple. I am still worried how you posted is misleading to people that do not understand coverage. there is uninsured and under insured motorist property damage in certain states. these coverages are (in most states) a replacement of collision or comprehensive coverage. Again for vehicle damages only. But at no time will comprehensive coverage ever cover an injury.

Being out of a 70k Jeep without coverage would seriously set me back. Being out 700k in medical bills might be a hole you’ll never dig out of if you’re not able to work to the same capacity.

The Chubbernaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Substance Abuse Counselor
Clubs

Anyone else notice their recent or upcoming policy term's premiums have gone absolutely bonkers? My new term starts March 1. $1337 for my three Jeeps, up from about $980. Full coverage on all.
My '06 LJ's comp and collision cost double what they do on my '99 TJ (equal deductibles) -- either tons of people are wrecking '06 Jeeps, or the underwriters have discovered the "rarity" and value of those particular long TJ's.

(Clean driving records, accident free, homeowner, multiline policy defensive driver course -- getting all the discounts ahead already)
You could see about insuring your TJ as a 'classic'. Insurance for classic cars (any car over twenty years old) is almost always going to be substantially cheaper. The catch is that, to qualify, the vehicle generally has to be unmodified and factory correct. This varies depending on the insurance company though. I was able to insure my CJ as a classic and only paid about $40 a month on it as a new driver under 25.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
You could see about insuring your TJ as a 'classic'. Insurance for classic cars (any car over twenty years old) is almost always going to be substantially cheaper. The catch is that, to qualify, the vehicle generally has to be unmodified and factory correct.
Not 100% sure, but I'd think you'd also need to plate it as a 'classic' to qualify for those rates. Probably varies by state, but in mine the laws for 'classics' and 'antiques' only allow for "occasional use" (parades, club activities), driving no more than once each week and not transporting people or property - in addition to the 'factory correct' stipulation you mentioned.

Sponsored

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
I should expand, because I wasn’t 100% accurate in my statement in an effort to keep it simple. I am still worried how you posted is misleading to people that do not understand coverage. there is uninsured and under insured motorist property damage in certain states. these coverages are (in most states) a replacement of collision or comprehensive coverage. Again for vehicle damages only. But at no time will comprehensive coverage ever cover an injury.

Being out of a 70k Jeep without coverage would seriously set me back. Being out 700k in medical bills might be a hole you’ll never dig out of if you’re not able to work to the same capacity.
🤦🏻

High-Strung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLURD
I have Geico currently. I'm going to give them a call Monday morning but I'm prepared to hear the inflation excuse 😒. They have raised their rates on me twice already. I have a clean record with no accidents.

I'm currently shopping around and it seems that Progressive has a much better rate at $730 for 6 months compared to Geico's $1040 for 6 months with the exact same premiums and coverage. Looks Like Geico is getting the boot within the next couple of days.

OP
OP

Coltron_Actual

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ, 2006 LJ, 2021 Rubicon
Wow. I posted this and didn't come back until this morning, and this really went places.

I'm on the line with Geico, ours is up 20% on 3 vehicles. They are telling me it's due to inflation SMH
We're in the exact same boat. 10% would have been one thing, but this is unheard of.

I have Geico currently. I'm going to give them a call Monday morning but I'm prepared to hear the inflation excuse 😒. They have raised their rates on me twice already. I have a clean record with no accidents.

I'm currently shopping around and it seems that Progressive has a much better rate at $730 for 6 months compared to Geico's $1040 for 6 months with the exact same premiums and coverage. Looks Like Geico is getting the boot within the next couple of days.
I'm going with a small company that I got my home policy from when I moved last summer. They don't write motorcycle policies, but for the three Jeeps, they're cheaper than GEICO was in "the good times". The broker I spoke to has run quotes for four other GEICO customers in the last week.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Coltron_Actual

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could see about insuring your TJ as a 'classic'. Insurance for classic cars (any car over twenty years old) is almost always going to be substantially cheaper. The catch is that, to qualify, the vehicle generally has to be unmodified and factory correct. This varies depending on the insurance company though. I was able to insure my CJ as a classic and only paid about $40 a month on it as a new driver under 25.
The TJ is too far past stock more than likely. But some insurance companies might be cool about it (they insure street rods and such). The LJ only has quadratec wheels and 31's. It would pass the stock test once old enough.

OP
OP

Coltron_Actual

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unsure why the OP's policy went up 40% all at once with no changes at all but I suspect something major changed that perhaps was forgotten as that is extreme for sure.
Nothing on my end has changed. Same three vehicles, no tickets, no accidents on both driving records -- nothing. We both work from home, drive minimal miles. But yeah, must have gone on a wicked bender and wrapped my JL around a tree and forgot about it. Have already had a full policy term come and go in the new state I live in (where premiums are typically less than my last residence).
Sponsored

Last edited: