Insurance premium increases from 2018 to 2022

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Our agent said our premium will go up about $400/yr on the ‘22 compared to our ‘16 JKU.
Sponsored

Jon 1971

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Willys Sport Sarge Green
Occupation
1SG, USA (RET)
$530 for 6 months with USAA. $500 collision and $250 comp. No accidents and no tickets since 2006. 2021 Sport Willys.

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Indiana - Progressive w/ full coverage @ 600 for a full year (apples to apples with the same policy requirements). They do not recognize my motorcycles as an additional vehicle nor is the house with them either.

I previously had state farm for everything and they are raking their customers over hot coals. They wanted 1800$ for a year of coverage and that's with all the bonuses (WTF).

And I say all of this with no accidents and no tickets in 15 years.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Everyone spouting rates is very misleading because you may or may not be comparing apples to apples so don’t listen to someone else’s rate and think your automatically getting screwed. (Do you have a 25/50/25 policy or a 250/500/100? And what about all those other add on coverages, glass, rental, roadside, etc? deductibles?)

That said to state the obvious, labor rates are going up significantly, used car prices are up 30% YoY, and supplier issues are making repairs take weeks longer ($30 rental a day adds up). So don’t be surprised when your insurance rates go up when the cost of literally everything to do with auto insurance has gone up significantly.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Proterino

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler 2 door Sport S
Ohio policy?
I pay $1100 a year, but that’s MI no-fault. I think we’ve been the most expensive auto insurance for quite a while.
There has been a tremendous uptick in fatal accidents since COVID, but I can’t say for sure premiums are reflecting that yet.
Yeah Ohio policy. I was expecting a hundred if so but not that😅 that's me switching from Cincinnati to state farm since they were 200 less than Cincinnati. I need the room with 2 kids and a 100 pound dog but holy heck will I miss that 560 a year coverage and no cat payment haha..

OP
OP

Proterino

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everyone spouting rates is very misleading because you may or may not be comparing apples to apples so don’t listen to someone else’s rate and think your automatically getting screwed. (Do you have a 25/50/25 policy or a 250/500/100? And what about all those other add on coverages, glass, rental, roadside, etc? deductibles?)

That said to state the obvious, labor rates are going up significantly, used car prices are up 30% YoY, and supplier issues are making repairs take weeks longer ($30 rental a day adds up). So don’t be surprised when your insurance rates go up when the cost of literally everything to do with auto insurance has gone up significantly.
I have 250k/500k bodily injury, 250k property. A 250 comprehensive deductible. 500 collision deductible. Same coverage on uninsured motorist. 5k in medical. 50 dollar a day to max of 1500 for car rental. And 0 dollar glass deductible. Currently on jl 18 for 540 a year. All that to that Sahara is 980.

OP
OP

Proterino

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have 2019 Sahara and 2013 Q5 - Used to be $1800 6 monthly (new to country)

Currently got it down to $620 6 Monthly so $1230 for 2 vehicles (Houston area) - but even 3 months back Progressive wanted to increase it from $800 to $1000 6 monthly, and threw a strop and did online quote with them, and then quoted this when called up - it might even be $560 now 6 monthly since i bundled with Renters Insurance
I did end up switching because I found 40 dollars in savings switching to state farm and even their quote for the new vehicle was about 200 lower than others. In the end I need the coverage and if I need the vehicle I'm stuck with it. They did show my the additional 20 I'll save with bundling my one car and home (strangely enough they won't give me the home quote till I lock in that policy switch)

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Anybody else surprised by the rather large increase in insurance premiums?

I am a relatively safe driver no claims in 8 years and am just having trouble pulling the trigger on this new purchase seeing my insurance rate almost double from 560 a year to 980 switching from 2018 2dr sport S to 2022 4dr sahara. What are you guys paying?
Well, depending on options on your two models, I’d assume the new 4dr Sahara costs about 50-60% more than your 2018 Sport. It’s financially a lot more vehicle to ensure. Not only that, there are a million factors that go into insurance rates. They might find that 4dr has more claims than 2 doors. In the most common accidents (a fender bender), you’ll likely need to replace bumpers and fenders more often. The painted ones cost more to replace… aka higher risk factor. Even the color of your vehicle and your zip code can impact your price. Then you factor in the world right now. Plastic shortages are happening, meaning repairs in general might cost more. It’s possible your rates were going to jump a little on renewal anyway.
It is certainly a big jump, enough to shop around. But overall, I see lots of indicators based on what you’ve presented that make this a little less surprising.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
NH 2018 Sahara $766 with zero deductible

Sponsored

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I have 250k/500k bodily injury, 250k property. A 250 comprehensive deductible. 500 collision deductible. Same coverage on uninsured motorist. 5k in medical. 50 dollar a day to max of 1500 for car rental. And 0 dollar glass deductible. Currently on jl 18 for 540 a year. All that to that Sahara is 980.
killer rate for that coverage! Don’t move to CO, you’ll be paying double.

Zip code directly impacts rates. Formula is simple, every company sets out to make $.XX per dollar they charge in profit. The more they pay the more they charge. The amounts typically range from $-.04 to $.08. (Yes State Farm’s personal auto is a loss leader for them). State Farm lost something to the tune of 3.4 billion in Q3 this year which blew their expectations out of the water, so prices rise… for them a lot. The companies that charge less have just found more efficient ways to handle claims and general business or are really good investors of the float (your money before they have to pay out losses).

hope that helps high level. To be clear, my rates have gone through the roof the past 5 years, everyone’s have. Perfect record too here

mudog

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hopefully a 3.0 jl
250/500K same for uninsured. 100K property

$830 a year on 2021 Diesel Rubicon.

I just switched to Costco auto

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
For those wondering why insurance rates are generally going up... it has very little to do with how great of a driver you or your spouse are. It has everything to do with the rapid cost increases to repair and replace any and all vehicles involved in an accident. Insurance is paying to fix or replace your vehicle or other vehicles and you only have to look at prices of parts and cars (new and used) to understand why that would translate to insurance.

OP says he already switched and there is no reason that everybody else on this forum shouldn't also consider doing that if they can find a lower price somewhere else.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody else surprised by the rather large increase in insurance premiums?

I am a relatively safe driver no claims in 8 years and am just having trouble pulling the trigger on this new purchase seeing my insurance rate almost double from 560 a year to 980 switching from 2018 2dr sport S to 2022 4dr sahara. What are you guys paying?

I have 3 drivers and 3 vehicles insured through Geico...

Drivers:
  • Female - 19 (1 at fault wreck in 01/20) (I had accident forgiveness so no increase in premium)
  • Female - 45
  • Male - 46
Vehicles:
  • '13 Toyota Camry - $500 deductibles
  • '20 JLUR - $250 deductibles
  • '19 JLUR - $250 deductibles
Full rental car coverage, roadside assistance, $100/300k coverage limits, uninsured motorists coverage, etc.

Monthly premium - $225'ish

kayurii

First Name
Kailyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
In general my insurance has been lower the past 2 years due to COVID and I have gotten "credits" placed into my account, usually between 40-80$ per renewal period.
I would think that now with most returning to normal traveling/commuting rates are bound to go up as well.
Sponsored