Insurance Issues - lift kits

GOCDragoon

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon 2018
So shopping for insurance for my new 2-door Rubicon JL here in Ontario Canada. No issue with that, new car replacement etc etc. Issue was when I asked if there would be an increase if I had the Mopar 2" lift kit installed. Turns out that any modification beyond cosmetic such as lift kits, wheels size change, performance enhancements would result in me being 'uninsurable' and getting a two week notice of such. This very much seems to be the case with all the companies. I could lie about it, but when the claim goes in, I lose for violating terms of the contract. Base line, if it rolls off the factory floor lifted that's fine, nothing else is acceptable. Kinda thing that could ruin your life if not appropriately insured. Others with this experience?
Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So shopping for insurance for my new 2-door Rubicon JL here in Ontario Canada. No issue with that, new car replacement etc etc. Issue was when I asked if there would be an increase if I had the Mopar 2" lift kit installed. Turns out that any modification beyond cosmetic such as lift kits, wheels size change, performance enhancements would result in me being 'uninsurable' and getting a two week notice of such. This very much seems to be the case with all the companies. I could lie about it, but when the claim goes in, I lose for violating terms of the contract. Base line, if it rolls off the factory floor lifted that's fine, nothing else is acceptable. Kinda thing that could ruin your life if not appropriately insured. Others with this experience?
If you Google insurance lifted truck, insurance lifted jeep, etc. you will see several discussions on this topic. It looks like a) at a minimum, the lift parts won't be covered in an accident b) if the accident appears to be caused by the modifications or would of caused more damage (like a roll over), your insurance won't cover you or the other vehicle you are in the accident with c) if you get a hard-nose insurance adjuster who likes to be a d*ck and find reasons not to cover customers and they see the mods and claims you invalidated your policy. Seems most are saying "just don't tell them you made any mods", that's no good AFTER the fact obviously.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've heard the opposite. I've heard that agents will insure anything you want. But, you have to make an itemized list and show replacement costs and then they will add those coverages to your policy at an additional premium.

Myself, I just never mention it. Knock on wood...23 years of driving and never wrecked a single one of my vehicles. But if I do, I figure on just losing a little money on mods and if I survive the crash I'll be happy enough with that.

OP
OP
GOCDragoon

GOCDragoon

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon 2018
I think part of the issue is the uneven application of auto insurance laws and regulations between Canadian Provinces (they set the rules around how the companies can operate auto insurance businesses). Here that is Provincial vs Federal jurisdiction. Not sure if the same situation exists in the U.S. with States.
Sponsored