Sponsored

Insulate/Sound Proof hardtop with spray insulation?

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
So I ALMOST had my JLUR yesterday but unfortunately I have to wait longer.

But I came across an interesting video last night where someone took an old non YETI cooler, drilled holes into the lid which has chambers that are all hollow and used great stuff to fill in the chambers.

(At around 2:30)

This morning I was watching random videos of the freedom top and realized they look similar to the hollow cooler lid. I've read of people using either a special paint or buying the panel inserts that insulate from heat, others have used special paints for sound deadening as well.

Curious if the freedom panels are hollow and can be filled with an insulating foam of some type to regulate temp inside and maybe help with road noise

Just an idea, curious what others might think..
Sponsored

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would think covering the roof and rear windows with paper mache from Offroading magazines would be a better option. Maybe from the outside. Don't want to void that warranty!

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Don't you think jeep would do it already if it made any difference at all?
Lol no.

But that's what the thread is for, what makes you think it wouldn't make a difference?

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
I would think covering the roof and rear windows with paper mache from Offroading magazines would be a better option. Maybe from the outside. Don't want to void that warranty!
Is that what you did to insulate your house too? That sounds pretty awful

TreeHugger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Vehicle Showcase

But I came across an interesting video last night where someone took an old non YETI cooler, drilled holes into the lid which has chambers that are all hollow and used great stuff to fill in the chambers.

This morning I was watching random videos of the freedom top and realized they look similar to the hollow cooler lid. I've read of people using either a special paint or buying the panel inserts that insulate from heat, others have used special paints for sound deadening as well.

Curious if the freedom panels are hollow and can be filled with an insulating foam of some type to regulate temp inside and maybe help with road noise

Interesting thought. I wonder if the foam would break down from road vibrations?

Sponsored

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Interesting thought. I wonder if the foam would break down from road vibrations?
Good question. Possibly. Just brainstorming ideas. Some like the headliners and others hate them. Looking for more than 1 solution to think about

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Just seems like a waste of time to me. Both heat and a/c work quickly for temperatures, and my hardtop wasn’t noisy at all. Only time I ever really noticed a noise difference from my pickup is when it’s raining.
Maybe some people just have different expectations than me though.

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Just seems like a waste of time to me. Both heat and a/c work quickly for temperatures, and my hardtop wasn’t noisy at all. Only time I ever really noticed a noise difference from my pickup is when it’s raining.
Maybe some people just have different expectations than me though.
Understand. There are some people that want to minimize noise and insulate. Otherwise there wouldnt be facotry and aftermarket headliners available.

I just got the idea after watching the 2 videos and it kinda just clicked in my head. It would be a more "hidden" option if at all possible.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The only way to find out is with a scientific experiment. I got ninth place in the third grade science fair so hear me out...

Take off the freedom tops, dump the contents from a ice machine inside the jeep to fill it up completely, install the tops and start a timer. When all the ice is gone dramatically yell "Time!" and stop the stop watch.

Do this again after the spray foam "hack" and do the experiment again.

This is basicly what I did in the science fair, except with bean sprouts and urine.

You will get tons of youtube hits.

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
The only way to find out is with a scientific experiment. I got ninth place in the third grade science fair so hear me out...

Take off the freedom tops, dump the contents from a ice machine inside the jeep to fill it up completely, install the tops and start a timer. When all the ice is gone dramatically yell "Time!" and stop the stop watch.

This is basicly what I did in the science fair, except with bean sprouts and urine.

Dont think you have to go through all that trouble.

When a house is built, they fill it with insulation between the outside wall and inside wall.

Simple.

Sponsored

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR

Not a good idea. If you really want to do something, choose an easily reversible method. For example, with a little double sided tape, you could try applying some carefully trimmed sections of that bubble wrap style insulation (the tough stuff with silver foil on both sides that they recommend for insulating garage doors). But I agree with the poster who pointed out that there is plenty of heating and cooling capacity in the HVAC, and the hard tops are super quiet compared to the soft tops, so I would just leave it alone if I were you.

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
You can not use spray foam between the core panels of your top! Spray foam will expand and burst the seems. People have tried this in their walls and had the Sheetrock bust out.

Now having the top spray foamed by a company that does inside walls may work. The inside will most likely look like crap but it will most likely do the trick.

I’m actually contemplating having the inside of mine sprayed with Bedliner. Just afraid of the extra weight and what it might do for removing the top.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7

I concur!

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
You can not use spray foam between the core panels of your top! Spray foam will expand and burst the seems. People have tried this in their walls and had the Sheetrock bust out.

Now having the top spray foamed by a company that does inside walls may work. The inside will most likely look like crap but it will most likely do the trick.

I’m actually contemplating having the inside of mine sprayed with Bedliner. Just afraid of the extra weight and what it might do for removing the top.
Not so certain about this. I had a company out one day that suggested an insulation foam that gets injected into the walls via small holes made in drywall. I looked into it and it's a legit insulation solution for homes.

I have seen a paint that you can get, one is insulating and the other sound deadening. You apply one over the other. Seems cool.

Lizard skin is the name. Curious about this option too.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
First, get your Jeep and live with it a while. You might be spending a lot of time researching a solution for a problem that might not exist for you.
If you are still curious what’s inside the freedom panels, maybe explore the JeeTops website, or one of the others that install skylights in them, maybe they show a production photo that will show the inside.
Sponsored