Sponsored

Instrument Cluster Swap

ChewLola

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Wrangler JL Sport 2DR, ‘17 Bentley Continental GT Supersports, ‘19 Audi SQ5 (wife), ‘93 Land Rover Defender 90
Occupation
Attorney
Found a basically new (19 miles) Rubicon instrument cluster on eBay for $100, only issue it was a KPH cluster. I realized that all of the digitals in the cluster (Speed & Odometer) could be swapped US/Metric via Settings in U-Connect menu.

Found the following video, which is for new US Speedo Tach/Speedo dials

After watching it I realized I could either A) Buy new replacement dials, or B) swap my current dials into the KPH speedo cluster.

Long Story short, rolled the dice and so far, a winner.

ISSUES:

*JL Sport 3.5 Cluster Tach dial and Rubicon 7” Tach dial are shaped differently and the JL Sport doesn’t have the Tach bezel. Decided to keep eBay Tach dial and swap the Speedo dial which was an “issue” bc of below.

*The Original Cluster markings were Orange, the eBay cluster markings are Red. Not sure if this is the case in all MPH vs KPH or Sport vs Rubicon clusters but I am OCD and do not find it that noticeable when lit, nor a dealbreaker for me.

*Odometer reading - have already made an appointment with a local shop to reprogram to match actual mileage**

**For any & all trolls whose initial thought is “that’s ILLEGAL”, I’ll mention briefly that a) I practice law & understand the law(s) in Arizona surrounding this mod. B) I am not making this mod, with any intention to lower or ”roll back” the actual miles on my Jeep, and have made arrangements for the odometer mileage to be corrected. The only reason I mention the eBay Cluster as being “basically new” was to reference the condition.

99EC4121-14A8-4FA5-9F55-E9F06926D9ED.jpeg

F591C3FA-37FC-4A55-922C-DAC2B8D7B628.jpeg

6344117C-E5B9-4672-BDAC-20F89D9EEB3D.jpeg

ATTACH=full]217176[/ATTACH]

AA0A7A56-4365-4C16-A9C9-AD3943522DCD.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
That is Cool! There has been questions of if this swap would work, looks like it will. What splash screen does it have at startup? Everything else work?

Gregj

OP
OP
ChewLola

ChewLola

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Wrangler JL Sport 2DR, ‘17 Bentley Continental GT Supersports, ‘19 Audi SQ5 (wife), ‘93 Land Rover Defender 90
Occupation
Attorney
Haven’t had a chance to play with it fully, will report back more once I have. Initial splash screen was “Rubicon” - which I can/will change with my Tazer Mini. All of the “basics” work perfectly thus far.

Christate1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport PMC
Occupation
Nurse / Medical Examiner
Vehicle Showcase
nice I have wanted to swap it and haven't pulled the trigger yet

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChewLola

ChewLola

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Attorney
@Gregj The seller on eBay that I got mine from was LKQonline. Seems like a big salvage operation's sales arm (almost 377K reviews/feedback). They seem to have parts warehoused all over the country. I bought a set of Homelink Visors** a month ago from them that came from Dublin, OH and the two KPH Clusters they had listed were in Buckley, WA.

Again, I haven't fully tested the new Cluster, and Im sure there are certain functions that won't work as my Sport won't have the requisite corresponding upgrade, but so far it looks right and works 100%. I think you'll be happy, the 7" color screen is noticeably cooler then the base 3.5".

**The Homelink visors were another simple, cheap and essential (IMO) upgrade that I tackled. I think I paid $65/70 for a set that could've passed for brand new, if not for the cut power wire.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, it was the perfect storm today. I drove my wife’s Rubicon to work and looked at the nice big color dash on the way and I get to work and the first thing I see is your post! I had thought of doing the upgrade but new is expensive! $500 + for the dash and a $500 core charge too! When I found this one on eBay I had to buy it. I looked up the part number online and it is the latest revision
68233868AN.
Gregj

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Nice. Does the Jeeps computer contain the miles data?

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I got the cluster in the mail yesterday, turned out to be an AL revision not an AN but I plugged it in and it works! Bad news is the mileage is way higher than I had hoped. I am going to have to get it corrected.

Interesting thing the first time I started it it had the Rubicon splash screen but the second time it had the Wrangler splash screen but it still has the off road page in the dash, I hope that stays!

If you can do that AND Change the gauge LED's as well, I'd be interested
Gauge LED’s? Are you talking about the back lighting color?

Gregj

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
So I got the cluster in the mail yesterday, turned out to be an AL revision not an AN but I plugged it in and it works! Bad news is the mileage is way higher than I had hoped. I am going to have to get it corrected.

Interesting thing the first time I started it it had the Rubicon splash screen but the second time it had the Wrangler splash screen but it still has the off road page in the dash, I hope that stays!

Gauge LED’s? Are you talking about the back lighting color?

Gregj
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, that's what I meant.
When I get the new cluster back from ICS I will tear into the old one and look at how the lighting works. From an experiment i did with an old dome light I bet they are surface mount led's that wont be easily changed, I did get some color gels and cover the led's with them but they do reduce the light output quite a bit.

Gregj

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
When I get the new cluster back from ICS I will tear into the old one and look at how the lighting works. From an experiment i did with an old dome light I bet they are surface mount led's that wont be easily changed, I did get some color gels and cover the led's with them but they do reduce the light output quite a bit.

Gregj
Hmm, keep me posted, I'm definitely interested