Sponsored

Instrument cluster and shift light keeps coming on and off when vehicle is parked and locked

Dennis844

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport Altitude
I will send this to my rep at the dealership. Just a bit of info. They can not refuse your warranty unless they can prove it is your stuff causing the issue. The Magnusun-Moss Warranty Act prevents them from using that excuse.
Sponsored

Dennis844

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport Altitude
Hello All,

My brother in laws 2018 has the same problem. The Jeep will be off, locked and parked. After about 10 minutes the dash will come on and the shifter lights turn on and then off again after about a minute. This will go on all night. We have taken it to multiple dealers and no solution to this problem. Its been about a year already with this problem. The battery is dead every morning now. They have replaced the radio, the batteries to no avail. The car has many add-ons and now Jeep wont try to help fix this issue due to having addons. I saw another post about them not wanting to help another user because they have changed the speakers.

We realized that the light coming on is the same as when you open the doors so the car thinks the door is being opened for some reason. We did a test and disconnected all the doors connectors and still it kept doing it. We have been going at it for a while now.

The last thing we tried actually got it to the best idea as to what is happening. We disconnected the C6 connector from the BCM and the car doesn't do it it anymore. We left a GoPro connected and not once all night did it turn on. The battery was also fully charged still in the morning. The C6 connector has all the pins for the doors, door ajar, door locks and the rear lights and turn signals. This makes perfect senses as the car thinks the door is opening thus it wakes up like its is being opened. A mechanic said that the problem is most likely the BCM. We have ordered a replacement BCM that will be programmed and hopefully this solves the problem. Its definitely either the BCM or something that is connected to the C6 connector which we checked and everything looks good that is connected via the C6 connector.

We should be getting the BCM next week.

Will keep you guys updated.

I will send this to my rep at the dealership. Just a bit of info. They can not refuse your warranty
, if this is a warranty, unless they can prove it is your stuff causing the issue. The Magnusun-Moss Warranty Act prevents them from using that excuse.

juanf523

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2018 Rubicon
Hello All,

We figured out my brother in laws problem. Remember when I said we removed the C6 connector and it stopped doing it we know which cable it was on his car. We didnt trouble shoot more before because we didnt want to cut wires. We ordered a replacement bcm and it still hasnt arrived.

We found out the the connector gets split in half. Theres a black side with pins 1-24 and a gray side with pins 25-48. We thought it was the black one that had the Door Ajar sensors but it turns out it was the gray one. Removed a couple of pins at a time and waited like 5-10 minutes for the dash to turn on and if they did put the pins back and move to the next. There are 16 pins in all connected. On the 3rd set we got lucky. It turns out it was pin #28 which is the RIGHT FRONT LIGHTING FAULT SENSE. We left it unplugged for a hour and nothing. We plugged it back in and did a rerest and it turned back on in 5 min after we closed the door and set the alarm. Removed rhat pin and again left it unplugged for another hour and the dash never turned on.

We are pretty sure this is the problem. The sensor that lets the car know that there is a fault in the right front light. We will leave it unplugged as its only purpose i think is to let the dash know your lights are out on the right front.

This problem was extremly hard ro diagnose as I previously stated as its been over a year already. We got lucky as his electric powersteps started having problems. We unplugged the C6 connector which has 2 pins which are connected to the power steps on the black side and the light problem went away. Because of the power step problem we figured B the light problem.

It might not be the same problem for you but the 2 sensors for fault in front light are pin 25 and pin 28 for the right front. There are a couple more sensors plugged into that c6 but check those out.

First step is to try the whole C6 connector and close the car. Only issue is that rhe c6 connector also controls the locks so with the c6 connector not plugged in the car wont lock.

Hope this helps you out.

Dennis844

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport Altitude
Hello All,

We figured out my brother in laws problem. Remember when I said we removed the C6 connector and it stopped doing it we know which cable it was on his car. We didnt trouble shoot more before because we didnt want to cut wires. We ordered a replacement bcm and it still hasnt arrived.

We found out the the connector gets split in half. Theres a black side with pins 1-24 and a gray side with pins 25-48. We thought it was the black one that had the Door Ajar sensors but it turns out it was the gray one. Removed a couple of pins at a time and waited like 5-10 minutes for the dash to turn on and if they did put the pins back and move to the next. There are 16 pins in all connected. On the 3rd set we got lucky. It turns out it was pin #28 which is the RIGHT FRONT LIGHTING FAULT SENSE. We left it unplugged for a hour and nothing. We plugged it back in and did a rerest and it turned back on in 5 min after we closed the door and set the alarm. Removed rhat pin and again left it unplugged for another hour and the dash never turned on.

We are pretty sure this is the problem. The sensor that lets the car know that there is a fault in the right front light. We will leave it unplugged as its only purpose i think is to let the dash know your lights are out on the right front.

This problem was extremly hard ro diagnose as I previously stated as its been over a year already. We got lucky as his electric powersteps started having problems. We unplugged the C6 connector which has 2 pins which are connected to the power steps on the black side and the light problem went away. Because of the power step problem we figured B the light problem.

It might not be the same problem for you but the 2 sensors for fault in front light are pin 25 and pin 28 for the right front. There are a couple more sensors plugged into that c6 but check those out.

First step is to try the whole C6 connector and close the car. Only issue is that rhe c6 connector also controls the locks so with the c6 connector not plugged in the car wont lock.

Hope this helps you out.
Thanks again for the heads up. I will again send this on to the shop. They have found nothing in a week.

juanf523

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2018 Rubicon
Thanks again for the heads up. I will again send this on to the shop. They have found nothing in a week.
The dealer was useless to him as well. Over the course of this problem. They replaced batteries, they replaced the uconnect radio, they replaced rhe fuse assembly and nothing. The computers dont show anything wrong. Its by the stroke of luck we figured it out. We were talking and thinking that maybe a bad batch of sensors were installed by jeep factory and since the problem is so hard to diagnose it hasnt been diagnosed properly. Also maybe only a smal number of jeeps have this problem based on the threads found. Maybe we get a recall for this down the line becuase of what we figured out.

Please let me know what the dealer says with the info we gave you. Im curious to know if its the same exact problem on yous and others with same problem.

If it is the same problem can there be a like class action type thing if enough people have same problem?

Sponsored

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i
Hello All,

Hope this helps you out.
Great job trouble shooting this! Not many dealer techs could diagnose this well, you would have to get extremely lucky to find "that guy" that has the skills and gives a crap about figuring something like this out.

Dennis844

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport Altitude
The dealer was useless to him as well. Over the course of this problem. They replaced batteries, they replaced the uconnect radio, they replaced rhe fuse assembly and nothing. The computers dont show anything wrong. Its by the stroke of luck we figured it out. We were talking and thinking that maybe a bad batch of sensors were installed by jeep factory and since the problem is so hard to diagnose it hasnt been diagnosed properly. Also maybe only a smal number of jeeps have this problem based on the threads found. Maybe we get a recall for this down the line becuase of what we figured out.

Please let me know what the dealer says with the info we gave you. Im curious to know if its the same exact problem on yous and others with same problem.

If it is the same problem can there be a like class action type thing if enough people have same problem?
Well, as of now they are not saying they found anything and they basically said come get my Jeep. This is the 4th time in the shop now and it has been there for 8 days this time. Not sure if a lemon Law filing will get me anywhere. I guess I talk to the Service Manager and see what he has to say. Will inform what they say next.

I do need to give you a shout out for this level of investigation and troubleshooting. This is right out of the book of finding root causes. This is literally the stuff they write training books with! Great Job and please keep sharing the knowledge.

juanf523

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2018 Rubicon
Well, as of now they are not saying they found anything and they basically said come get my Jeep. This is the 4th time in the shop now and it has been there for 8 days this time. Not sure if a lemon Law filing will get me anywhere. I guess I talk to the Service Manager and see what he has to say. Will inform what they say next.

I do need to give you a shout out for this level of investigation and troubleshooting. This is right out of the book of finding root causes. This is literally the stuff they write training books with! Great Job and please keep sharing the knowledge.
Thank you very much. Will do.

As far as your problem, are you comfortable removing connectors. I really want you to try my solve on your own because I feel the dealership doesnt have any patience for this kind of stuff.

Also as far as when the lights turn on for you how soon after you turn off and shut your jeep does dash lights come on. My brother in law was about 5-10 minutes. After it started it would do it every 30-60 secs forever until battery died or you opened/unlocked the car.

Basically we would close and set alarm on car and literally wait 10-15 minutes til the light comes one and then it would continue forever. Super slow and annoying troubleshooting this.

Also any chance you in the NYC area/ Long Island NY?

Dennis844

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport Altitude
Thank you very much. Will do.

As far as your problem, are you comfortable removing connectors. I really want you to try my solve on your own because I feel the dealership doesnt have any patience for this kind of stuff.

Also as far as when the lights turn on for you how soon after you turn off and shut your jeep does dash lights come on. My brother in law was about 5-10 minutes. After it started it would do it every 30-60 secs forever until battery died or you opened/unlocked the car.

Basically we would close and set alarm on car and literally wait 10-15 minutes til the light comes one and then it would continue forever. Super slow and annoying troubleshooting this.

Also any chance you in the NYC area/ Long Island NY?

So in my instance, the lights never turn off. If by some chance they do turn off, they can come back on at any time and then never go out till the battery is dead. I am letting it sit at the dealership till Friday so the clock keeps ticking. I plan to Lemon Law the vehicle as they have no clue how to repair it. This is the 4th time in the shop and no repair in sight. The worst part of mine, it is random and may not happen for 2 weeks, then all of a sudden the lights will not go out.
I will go through the troubleshooting that you presented. I have some good experience with electronics and some ability to troubleshoot, especially with directions, lol. I did also share you work with the dealership and I am not sure they even tried. I will have some time this weekend to look into it. That is if I can get it to happen at all. Thank you again for sharing this work you have done. Unfortunately I am in the state of Florida, so not close enough to be able to work together in person to fix this thing.

juanf523

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2018 Rubicon
So in my instance, the lights never turn off. If by some chance they do turn off, they can come back on at any time and then never go out till the battery is dead. I am letting it sit at the dealership till Friday so the clock keeps ticking. I plan to Lemon Law the vehicle as they have no clue how to repair it. This is the 4th time in the shop and no repair in sight. The worst part of mine, it is random and may not happen for 2 weeks, then all of a sudden the lights will not go out.
I will go through the troubleshooting that you presented. I have some good experience with electronics and some ability to troubleshoot, especially with directions, lol. I did also share you work with the dealership and I am not sure they even tried. I will have some time this weekend to look into it. That is if I can get it to happen at all. Thank you again for sharing this work you have done. Unfortunately I am in the state of Florida, so not close enough to be able to work together in person to fix this thing.
Hey all, i just realized something. Do you guys have the premium Led package on your Jeep. The wire that was causing the problem for me is only present in the premium lighting which im guessing the is factory LED lighting.
Hey all, I just realized something. Do you guys have the premium Led package on your Jeep. The wire that was causing the problem for me is only present in the premium lighting which im guessing the is factory LED lighting. The wire leads to the DRL Light plug. My brother in law has the factory LED package and headlights/DRL. Look at the images of the connectors and pin 1 on the premium lighting is the wire that we unplugged at the BCM.

Do you have the factory LED geadlights and DRLs also?

A8EF3C10-964D-4B3A-9965-51298BEF665E.jpeg

850FE846-3E1B-4B44-8C94-90D2857AC8CC.jpeg

Sponsored

22Conrad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon, 2020 Q50
I also have this exact problem.

Starting to drive me nuts. It's only killed my battery twice (as those were the only times I went more than 48 hours without driving this truck) But I notice it every night that I look out my window and see the damn thing randomly lighting up..... well most nights.

There are some evenings that I never see it light up, I can't explain it. I do nothing different.

Don't know if it's related or not, but a week or so ago I started gettting the error "Stop/Start unavailable service stop/start". It has yet to go away. (and thus failure of function) My assumption was that it was due to a low battery but even after driving for a few hours, no difference is made and the voltage looks good.

I brought it to the dealer just one time, after the first dead battery morning. They found nothing. Until spring this is my only vehicle so repeated dealer drop offs are.... impossibly inconvenient.

Thanks a hundred times over to you guys activelly working on diagnostics, I have no doubt you'll find the cause before I do.

Last edited:

Dennis844

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport Altitude
I also have this exact problem.

Starting to drive me nuts. It's only killed my battery twice (as those were the only times I went more than 48 hours without driving this truck) But I notice it every night that I look out my window and see the damn thing randomly lighting up..... well most nights.

There are some evenings that I never see it light up, I can't explain it. I do nothing different.

Don't know if it's related or not, but a week or so ago I started gettting the error "Stop/Start unavailable service stop/start". It has yet to go away. (and thus failure of function) My assumption was that it was due to a low battery but even after driving for a few hours, no difference is made and the voltage looks good.

I brought it to the dealer just one time, after the first dead battery morning. They found nothing. Until spring this is my only vehicle so repeated dealer drop offs are.... impossibly inconvenient.

Thanks a hundred times over to you guys activelly working on diagnostics, I have no doubt you'll find the cause before I do.
I understand your frustration. I take mine in for the first visit under FCA Lemon law status with a case #. Service advisor said he has nothing he knows how to do but this is a requirement from FCA that the vehicle be delivered to the dealership. Wish me luck, I just want it fixed.

Dennis844

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport Altitude
Final conclusion and fix for my issue! Dealership did a deep dive and the result was crappy workmanship by the Stereo Installation company! There are 2 wires that were bare and touching. I just have to shake my head that the stereo place was all about it being the Jeeps fault. I will be looking for some compensation for the inconvenience. Best part is that I can now be comfortable with taking the Jeep places.

SharkByte

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Roughly 25,000 light years, from Sagittarius A*
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR... Ordered 12/29... Tesla Model S
This issue just started for me (or I just noticed).

2022 JLUR with LED package. 9.5k miles.

A week ago started getting dash warning (text and chime) that my right rear turn signal was out. LED is out...? Don't think so...

I checked blinker function and it's fine. Still randomly get warnings. Now just tonight, I notice the dash is cycling on and off after jeep turned off and locked... all doors properly closed. Same issue I'm reading on this post/forum.

I don't know what BCM (? control module?) or C6 is yet, but I'll find that connector and check it.

Most important... this JLUR is fully loaded and completely stock... zero add-ons.

All other jeep functions and performance seem normal.

Will report back here on my progress. This thing is real, and is likely not a common fault condition.

My dash cycles about every 20sec.

Will start with fuse block and connector harnesses when the sun comes up.

Cheers all
Sponsored