Sponsored

Installing Rubi shocks on sport installation help?

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
I have never installed shocks before but is there anything to do? Basically I am going to swap out a pair of rubi shocks for my sport shocks. Do I need to jackup each tire to do it? or another easier way?

Also do i need to install anything else or can it be just the slightly longer shocks that the rubi comes with?
Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I have never installed shocks before but is there anything to do? Basically I am going to swap out a pair of rubi shocks for my sport shocks. Do I need to jackup each tire to do it? or another easier way?

Also do i need to install anything else or can it be just the slightly longer shocks that the rubi comes with?
It is easy if you have access to a floor jack and stands. It is do-able with the scissor jack but not recommended.

Front and rear are similar, except in the rear you have to take off a section of bumper cover (3 8mm bolts).

The general principle is you jack up the axle (from differential or center), support the vehicle on frame (right under doors), then slowly lower jack so the axle will droop until tires are barely off ground. Then take off the tires, loose upper and lower shock mounts (18 mm socket). Put new shocks in, tighten to 80 ft-lbs upper and 75 ft-lbs lower. Put tires back on, jack the axle up again, remove stands from frame, lower the jack and you are done!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be doing the same with mine soon +Rubi Springs. Good info to have.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be doing the same with mine soon +Rubi Springs. Good info to have.
Well springs will be much harder, because you have to let the axle droop much more to have spring coming out. Of course you can use Spring compressor, but I personally will stay away from that projectile ejector.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well springs will be much harder, because you have to let the axle droop much more to have spring coming out. Of course you can use Spring compressor, but I personally will stay away from that projectile ejector.
True, I'll have help from someone thats done it before... Not sure if he uses a spring compressor. In fact I'm using his springs and shocks that were replaced when he lifted his Rubi.

Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
True, I'll have help from someone thats done it before... Not sure if he uses a spring compressor. In fact I'm using his springs and shocks that were replaced when he lifted his Rubi.
Just clear away anything that can prevent the axle droop. Disconnect the track bar, loose front and upper control arms, all brake line/ABS line bracket, FAD connectors. Have an air tool will be plus, as yelling and screaming will not get those huge nuts loose.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just clear away anything that can prevent the axle droop. Disconnect the track bar, loose front and upper control arms, all brake line/ABS line bracket, FAD connectors. Have an air tool will be plus, as yelling and screaming will not get those huge nuts loose.
lol, I'm sure it will be productive with all the screaming.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
lol, I'm sure it will be productive with all the screaming.
Swear helps a lot, back in the days when I did not have the luxury to have a garage. I use box wrenches to break loose these 150 ft-lbs+ nuts, I will yell "Fxxx you little son of bxxx you cxxt just get the fxxx out your mother xxxx", then they will magically come loose.

Just anecdote, don't replicate that in front of children.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Swear helps a lot, back in the days when I did not have the luxury to have a garage. I use box wrenches to break loose these 150 ft-lbs+ nuts, I will yell "Fxxx you little son of bxxx you cxxt just get the fxxx out your mother xxxx", then they will magically come loose.

Just anecdote, don't replicate that in front of children.
No kids of my own, :giggle:

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I think the springs are designed for specific locations on the Jeep and have to be angled/insert specifically. None are interchangeable with the other. I could be wrong but I think this is right. Just a note of possible importance where others have run into trouble.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
The springs are specific to which corner they go. They are inter changeable.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I upgraded my sport to the rubi shocks. The shocks are two inches longer and after installation I had issues with drivability and steering wheel vibrations. Not sure if the two inches height difference required me getting an alignment. It also made the jeep ride very truck like. Installation required jacks just to raise the vehicle higher to accommodate the two inch difference But no tire removal or shroud removal. Took me about an hour.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
If you’re just doing shocks, it’s two bolts each and take the 8mm access panel off on the rear to make it easy. No need to lift the Jeep and use jack stands unless you’re portly or want extra room. Only safety thing is chock the wheels if on an angle and safety glasses. Maybe a 30 mins swap

Brett

Jclark13185

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
I'm installing Rubicon shocks now. Did you guys leave the shock extenders or remove them? I have a sport s with the budget 2" lift.
Sponsored