Sponsored

Installing Mopar Hitch, is there a wire connector/plug?

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I am looking at getting a hitch and the only plug I found was this one.

506DD166-2B35-45DA-975F-A40ECA353836.jpeg

5C53E200-1E03-4081-8394-3D1FC9227CDA.jpeg

A87EB33C-842D-411D-A705-286A241FAE27.jpeg
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi Kasey:

There is not one.

But which one you get depends upon your needs.

The easier solution is to go with a 4 pin connector. You can pick such devices up on the internet, especially at amazon.com or etrailer.com and they are not that bad an install.

The harder but more versatile route is shown by Shawn above @chevymitchell. It is an 8 pin connector that provide for things like brake controllers for the towed vehicle. This kit, to the best of my knowledge is only sold by MOPAR and it is a bit of a workload to get it installed. This is particularly because one must get the wiring from the engine bay (where the vehcile's battery/batteries are through the grommet in the fire wall to the right of the glove box, and through the cabin, disassembling portions of the cabin trim to snake the wire below to the rear.

Then it's out the rear passenger's taillight to the hitch.

Still more, to get to this grommet, it generally involves removing portions of the front passenger's fender.

If you are interested in this more substantial route then say so. There are videos that simplify removal of the fender that don't require you to buy new fender clips.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Hi Kasey:

There is not one.

The easier solution is to go with a 4 pin connector. You can pick such devices up on the internet, especially at amazon.com or etrailer.com and they are not that bad an install.

The harder but more versatile route is shown by Shawn above @chevymitchell. It is an 8 pin connector that provide for things like brake controllers for the towed vehicle. This kit, to the best of my knowledge is only sold by MOPAR and it is a bit of a workload to get it installed. This is particularly because one must get the wiring from the engine bay (where the vehcile's battery/batteries are through the grommet in the fire wall to the right of the glove box, and through the cabin, disassembling portions of the cabin trim to snake the wire below to the rear.

Still more, to get to this grommet, it generally involves removing portions of the front passenger's fender.

If you are interested in this more substantial route then say so. There are videos that simplify removal of the fender that don't require you to buy new fender clips.
thank you. Helps a ton.

Pgslater

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hi Kasey:

There is not one.

the new kit from Mopar no longer goes through the interior of the jeep, but under the jeep. Part number 82216359AA. It much easier to install.

Sponsored

dhlevin

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR
I just installed my trailer wiring harness this morning. Not to difficult a job. Took a couple hours in the driveway. I went with Curt brand for the receiver and wiring. It was about $150 on Amazon. I didn't want to spent 2 or 3 times as much for Mopar.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
the new kit from Mopar no longer goes through the interior of the jeep, but under the jeep. Part number 82216359AA. It much easier to install.
That's huge Patrick. Respectfully, where have you sourced this new installation method?

I'd love to be running the 8 pin over the 4. It was getting the wires into and out of the cabin that really made me think twice about doing it.

Thanks

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I just installed my trailer wiring harness this morning. Not to difficult a job. Took a couple hours in the driveway. I went with Curt brand for the receiver and wiring. It was about $150 on Amazon. I didn't want to spent 2 or 3 times as much for Mopar.
Dave, that's awesome but comes with a caveat. This isn't just one of those "MOPAR versus the 3rd party brand product choice" and price differences. You went with the 4 pin install (correct) whereas the MOPAR kits features the 8 pin functionality. : - )

(I don't know anybody in the aftermarket doing the Wrangler 8 pin--which isn't of course to say that it doesn't exist.)

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Okay, so I looked at the instructions here: http://starparts.chrysler.com/info/default/K6862985.pdf

These Ikea like non-verbal instructions....are they trying to claim there's the new and old way to install the wires, or that the new way applies to electric JLs?????!!

dhlevin

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR
Dave, that's awesome but comes with a caveat. This isn't just one of those "MOPAR versus the 3rd party brand product choice" and price differences. You went with the 4 pin install (correct) whereas the MOPAR kits features the 8 pin functionality. : - )

(I don't know anybody in the aftermarket doing the Wrangler 8 pin--which isn't of course to say that it doesn't exist.)
Sorry, I wasn't aware he needed an 8 pin plug. I don't have a need for more than a 4 pin for a small trailer. Just trying to help!

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Sorry, I wasn't aware he needed an 8 pin plug. I don't have a need for more than a 4 pin for a small trailer. Just trying to help!
I don't know that the OP does. I'm just pointing out that there's more to the price and installation difficulty difference than simply MOPAR versus the competition. : - )

mygreenkaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Okay, so I looked at the instructions here: http://starparts.chrysler.com/info/default/K6862985.pdf

These Ikea like non-verbal instructions....are they trying to claim there's the new and old way to install the wires, or that the new way applies to electric JLs?????!!
Those are different than the instructions that come with my Mopar kit, I installed the "older" style I guess thru the interior of the Jeep. I think those must be an alternate method for that "newer" kit that allows the harness to be run under the Jeep.

Pgslater

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
That's huge Patrick. Respectfully, where have you sourced this new installation method?

I'd love to be running the 8 pin over the 4. It was getting the wires into and out of the cabin that really made me think twice about doing it.

Thanks

I got it from:
https://www.justforjeeps.com/jl-trailer-hitch-wiring-harness.html

This harness kit (82216359AA) replaces (82215896). I agree the instructions are not great, but if you take your time it's not difficult. The only thing I did not do as per the instruction, is to remove the inner fender. Removing the inner fender would make it easier to follow the frame rail and tie the cable, but I was able to do it without removing it, by getting under the jeep. The only thing you will need to buy is a rivet gun if you don't have one (Link below) and some extra Christmas tree clips (in case you break them).

rivet gun : https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007QV2E50/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
In vehicle electric coolers: definitely not my forte.

Curious, for those with 7 pin hitch harnesses could you not tap into pins 3 (180W/15amp) and 4 ground, for current?

Does somebody make a smart device that can, like, send you a text message when your vehicle's battery voltage drops below some threshold to tell you to crank the rig so the alternator can charge up the batteries?

My home generator monitors its crank battery and can do not only this, but start itself up to power the battery; I realize the latter, a much more difficult given the security and liability measures to prevent a vehicle from cranking without express operator intent.
Sponsored