Installing Mopar 68419013AA Tailgate Cargo Trail Rail

Wokiebear

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
For the 2018 Wrangler JLU. I want to put the trail rail onto my tailgate. I have all the parts, but absolutely no instructions anywhere to be found on exactly how to put the rail on. The rail table has a very brief info write-up on how to take it off to drill the additional holes for the table install. Nothing for the initial install of the rail on the tailgate. It looks fairly simple, but it seems you have to cut out a section at the top where the rail will go, and use a skillsaw??? By cutting out this part cause problems with the integrity of the panel??? Can anybody point me in the right direction? There's not even a YouTube demo for this piece. Even the cargo net came with attaching directions, which really that would be easily figured out.
Sponsored

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
For the 2018 Wrangler JLU. I want to put the trail rail onto my tailgate. I have all the parts, but absolutely no instructions anywhere to be found on exactly how to put the rail on. The rail table has a very brief info write-up on how to take it off to drill the additional holes for the table install. Nothing for the initial install of the rail on the tailgate. It looks fairly simple, but it seems you have to cut out a section at the top where the rail will go, and use a skillsaw??? By cutting out this part cause problems with the integrity of the panel??? Can anybody point me in the right direction? There's not even a YouTube demo for this piece. Even the cargo net came with attaching directions, which really that would be easily figured out.
As I remember the panel clips out. Using a trim removal tool. I’m sure when I installed mine I had to drill two holes out that were marked. I never used a jigsaw. As the nut certs are in the metal panel behind the black abs cover that you remove. The trail panel installs at that position. I’m out of town flighting back from a business trip. So if this doesn’t help let me know and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can. Good Luck

OP
OP

Wokiebear

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, but how does the rail sit flat? The pics don't show it standing out as it would were I just to drill the holes. This is on the 2018 Wrangler. The piece where the rail goes protrudes..as these pictures show. Seems like that place where the rail goes needs to be removed first. I understand about the nut certs.

Jeep1.jpg

Jeep2.jpg

OP
OP

Wokiebear

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I just had a thought and decided to try to remove the panel with the trim removal tool -- the part that I thought should come out DOES just pop out real easy with the trim removal tool. I don't think the rest of the panel will come out so easy like that, though. I think it's adhered somehow as it did not want to budge with the trim tool. Can get the trim tool behind it without a good deal of pressure. So I can put the trail rail on now. If I decide to put the trail table on, tho, might have some difficulty with removing the whole panel.

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I just had a thought and decided to try to remove the panel with the trim removal tool -- the part that I thought should come out DOES just pop out real easy with the trim removal tool. I don't think the rest of the panel will come out so easy like that, though. I think it's adhered somehow as it did not want to budge with the trim tool. Can get the trim tool behind it without a good deal of pressure. So I can put the trail rail on now. If I decide to put the trail table on, tho, might have some difficulty with removing the whole panel.
Nope, it all pops out, think there were 9-10 clips total....start with the lower bottom left clip and work around. Easy Peasy

Sponsored

OP
OP

Wokiebear

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, Matthew! I got the rail installed....hardest part was finding the right extender to access the screws. BUT I did it!! Am an old widow granny lady learning to do on my own. Did it!! Will try to pop the rest when I install the table -- on my wish list.

rkilpatrick

First Name
Renee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Hello,
Can you share what extender you used to install the tailgate trail rail system? Also, did you install the tailgate table yet?
Thank you,
Renee

OP
OP

Wokiebear

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a ratchet set left to me by my husband. There are about a gazillion pieces, but to make the particular bit or screw head fit if there was not enough room to use the ratchet, he had what I can an extender -- a separate piece that fits onto the ratchet handle that you then affix your particular head to use, which extends the head through that little opening that you have to put the screws into. I know how to use it, just am not knowledgeable on what you call the parts. I could not fit a straight hexagon screwdriver though the slot and had to look for an alternative...maybe it's called an Allen wrench set.

OP
OP

Wokiebear

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And, no, I have not installed the table - yet.

Sponsored

Sherifftruman

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUS
Here are the photos. I should add that we saw once we were reading the instructions for the table, you can actually install it without the rail. We had already ordered it and figured we might use it for something else, so went with it.

The thing rattles out of the box and drove us nuts so we had to add a rubber piece onto the bumper on the side near the latch. Just a regular rubber stick on foot from Michaels or whatever hobby/craft place. Ended up needing about a 1/4” maybe a little less. Not sure why that side wasn’t right from the factory but my wife had seen where other people complained about the same thing.

E3CE590D-6002-481E-8120-FDD520EB5F9A.jpeg
F74818A0-D1A9-4D63-8E53-6BD216F47C46.jpeg
47A64E00-A223-46A0-A658-386D3470D5B9.jpeg

rkilpatrick

First Name
Renee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Thanks so much for you help. I opted to install the table without the trail rail system. I am fortunate that I live near Quadratec and was able to return the rail system. I can't wait to put it to good use on the beach next week. :)

OP
OP

Wokiebear

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally got my tailgate table installed with only one slight problem. the bottom right holes did not match up even though I carefully drilled the hole in the tailgate panel exactly as marked. It was only slightly off, and was able to maneuver the screw to attach at a very slight angle. I love it. Now, my next project -- I want a Slipstream cargo cover. I love the way the top can be removed and accessing from the rear seats, laying the sides down. Sometimes I need to carry taller items, and that was my holdback for getting a cargo cover.

392Newbie

First Name
ira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 392
Which part of the panel pops out? Just the top part? Where do I get the trim removal tool??

Thanks, but how does the rail sit flat? The pics don't show it standing out as it would were I just to drill the holes. This is on the 2018 Wrangler. The piece where the rail goes protrudes..as these pictures show. Seems like that place where the rail goes needs to be removed first. I understand about the nut certs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Mopar  68419013AA  Tailgate Cargo Trail Rail 47A64E00-A223-46A0-A658-386D3470D5B9

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Mopar  68419013AA  Tailgate Cargo Trail Rail 47A64E00-A223-46A0-A658-386D3470D5B9

OP
OP

Wokiebear

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)