Installing LED's on ROAM Slider through a TTap from the Courtesy Light

2020Punk'n

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Unlimited Sahara
Hello all. I would love your feedback on this idea I had before I install it. So I ended up purchasing a set of Ram Rock Sliders with LED lights(Bolt Style). I am going to send them out to be sprayed with Linex for looks and durability. I know there are previous thread on it being wired with relays and to switched and battery. But I just want to install as simply as possible to only actuate when the doors are open. Therefore I created this thread to see if:
1: Can I wire through a Ttap to my courtesy light with no issues?
2. Can I route those wires though under the vehicle or just under the carpet.?
3. How much draw (amps/watts)or play with lighting or wires do I have by tapping into the courtesy light?
4. Would any of these diagrams I created be suitable to use?

Please I am in no way a professional. I am truly a novice that doesn't mind working on his vehicle. I know through this Forum I have many people knowledgeable in this field that can help me. If this idea is totally off, please feel free to let me know. Thank you in advance

Under Car.JPG

Under Carpet.JPG
Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Hello all. I would love your feedback on this idea I had before I install it. So I ended up purchasing a set of Ram Rock Sliders with LED lights(Bolt Style). I am going to send them out to be sprayed with Linex for looks and durability. I know there are previous thread on it being wired with relays and to switched and battery. But I just want to install as simply as possible to only actuate when the doors are open. Therefore I created this thread to see if:
1: Can I wire through a Ttap to my courtesy light with no issues?
2. Can I route those wires though under the vehicle or just under the carpet.?
3. How much draw (amps/watts)or play with lighting or wires do I have by tapping into the courtesy light?
4. Would any of these diagrams I created be suitable to use?

Please I am in no way a professional. I am truly a novice that doesn't mind working on his vehicle. I know through this Forum I have many people knowledgeable in this field that can help me. If this idea is totally off, please feel free to let me know. Thank you in advance

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing LED's on ROAM Slider through a TTap from the Courtesy Light Under Carpet.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing LED's on ROAM Slider through a TTap from the Courtesy Light Under Carpet.JPG
1. Yes
2. You can do it anyway you want. I went through firewall and under vehicle.
3. I dont know. But those little led lights dont draw much at all. You would probably be fine wiring 100 of them.
4. You can do it however you want. I think you are trying to make it much more complicated then it really is. Run a couple wires, have a connector to right side and one to left side. Done.

OP
OP
2020Punk'n

2020Punk'n

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Unlimited Sahara
1. Yes
2. You can do it anyway you want. I went through firewall and under vehicle.
3. I dont know. But those little led lights dont draw much at all. You would probably be fine wiring 100 of them.
4. You can do it however you want. I think you are trying to make it much more complicated then it really is. Run a couple wires, have a connector to right side and one to left side. Done.
Thank you

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Depending on how many you are adding you will most likely need to run a solid state relay. The courtesy light circuit has a “theater dim” function and won’t take a whole lot more current draw before it stops working. I tried this on the Roam steps on my Jeep and found that out.

You need a solid state relay as a regular relay will “chatter” as the voltage drops off. There is a great write up in the DIY section.
Gregj
Sponsored