Installing Kicker 47KSC404 speakers in the sound bar

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I bought a set of these and am hoping for a little improvement in the sound. I already replaced the 3.5s in the sound bar and dash with Kicker 77Kick25ABs.
That alone made a huge improvement. But... my question is, the speakers have 4 tabs and a 3 tab adapter ring that will fit the JL. Looks like I'll have to cut the 4 tabs off for it to fit. Has anyone done this? What's the best method for cutting the tabs?
Sponsored

jollycj

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jolly
I bought a set of these and am hoping for a little improvement in the sound. I already replaced the 3.5s in the sound bar and dash with Kicker 77Kick25ABs.
That alone made a huge improvement. But... my question is, the speakers have 4 tabs and a 3 tab adapter ring that will fit the JL. Looks like I'll have to cut the 4 tabs off for it to fit. Has anyone done this? What's the best method for cutting the tabs?
interested how these worked out for you. Did they make a big improvement after you did the 3.5’s?

OP
OP
Wolfy

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't done it yet. The temps here have been in the 20s and 30s so waiting for some warmer weather. Also still not sure about how to remove the four tabs. Looks like I can just cut them off with snipers, but thought someone might have a better approach.;)

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
Use snipers or wiggle the tabs with pliers. These are great in the soundbar. I used a pair of these and a pair of the kicker Mopar dart upgrade speakers. I am also using an amp.with a DSP so they are high passed around 350 hz.

OP
OP
Wolfy

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@CMTAZ Thanks for the response. I already upgraded the 3.5s both in the dash and the soundbar with the Dart speakers (77Kick25ABs). I think it was your post that inspired me to get the 4" Kickers. ;)👍 I've already done a highpass filter using a cap (133uF ~ 150Hz) on the 3.5s and they sound great. Since the 4"s are rated down to 60hz (... and I know that's bogus), and I'm not driving them with an amp, I might be able to get away without adding a cap. Thoughts?

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Are these upgrades to the Alpine 8.4 system ? Trying to replace the Alpine speakers they could really use an upgrade with some more clarity/hi

OP
OP
Wolfy

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
guarnibl I'm just modding the standard Sport, low end 5" display unit. Not sure how it would compare to the Alpine system.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
guarnibl I'm just modding the standard Sport, low end 5" display unit. Not sure how it would compare to the Alpine system.
Got it. The Alpine system is decent just wanting more.

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil

crudesolo

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 dr
Following. Let me know how you cut the tabs. I'm planning the same thing. I figure I'll try to fill the soundbar with sound deadening material and polyfill while I have the speakers out

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wolfy

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coincidentally... I just installed the speakers yesterday. I just used pliers and wiggled the tabs back and forth until they snapped off (about 12 wiggles). ;). Note that one of the 3 ring tabs is larger than the rest and has to be installed into the stock housing such that is sits in a specific spot (the other two positions in the molded speaker housing have little ridges that close the gap slightly. Just look at it before installing and you'll see what I mean.
As far as sound goes, my initial impression (after listening for a short time with one 404 plugged into left and the stock one on right) the 404s are definitely clearer and more high fidelity, but possibly at the expense of a little bass. Overall I'm happy with them, but not quite the upgrade I was hoping for. As others have mentions, probably a DSP, amp and sub would be required to really make the 5" system sound great. I'm happy with it for now, maybe down the road more upgrades, but... it is a Jeep, so road noise is probably a bigger issue than quality of sound system.

Last edited:

crudesolo

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 dr
it is a Jeep, so road noise is probably a bigger issue than quality of sound system.
I need the music to drown out the roof squeaks and wind noise 😂.

I did the same over the weekend since it warmed up a bit. I agree with you, not a huge upgrade. I’ll probably replace the knee speakers and add an amp at some point but at least all the other speakers have been upgraded.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Has anyone tried to install these in a JL with the Alpine system?

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Tagging
Sponsored