Installing JL trailer hitch and wiring harness

Grantee

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR WHITE, 2016 KL WHITE LTD, 2014 YAMAHA SX190
I thought I’d share an installation video for anyone looking to install the wiring harness themselves. I found it on YouTube. It was a life saver. The harness instructions were horrible, but this video was a great step by step.

I also have a spare Mopar hitch receiver with cover if anyone’s interested. Bought for $180, will ship for $120 OBO.

1E7817B1-81D8-47A9-A657-574BF7E8F51C.jpeg
Sponsored

turnkey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
I thought I’d share an installation video for anyone looking to install the wiring harness themselves. I found it on YouTube. It was a life saver. The harness instructions were horrible, but this video was a great step by step.

I also have a spare Mopar hitch receiver with cover if anyone’s interested. Bought for $180, will ship for $120 OBO.

1E7817B1-81D8-47A9-A657-574BF7E8F51C.jpeg
I will take the hitch reciever. PM me to arange please

OP
OP
Grantee

Grantee

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI the hitch has been sold.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I will take the hitch reciever. PM me to arange please
That is a good video, but I installed mine without cutting the inner fender. It took me a few hours, but after the install I learned shortcuts and could do it a lot quicker next time. The electrical is a little tricky and yes, the instructions are limited.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Grantee

Grantee

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ditto. When I fed my wire through it automatically came out behind the fuse box. Luck maybe?
Probably took 3 hours, could do again in 2, maybe less.

StAug Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL sport
Are you kidding me, the JK wiring hardness took 30 minutes and you were done.
What the hick did Jeep do with the JL
Got to be a simpler more cost effect way

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
I just did mine over the weekend. It took a while but the added benefit over the JK is pretty great. The JL Harness has a 7 pin connector. The added "Hot" wire and brake controller wire is worth it alone.

OP
OP
Grantee

Grantee

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I’ve understood it’s due to the LED lighting requirements.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@WPDave

A friend of mine and I pulled the fender from his JLU a few weeks ago... After pulling it and then replacing it we said to each other that it might have been wise for us to have purchased say 4 of the white plastic attachment clips, to have on hand before we pulled the fender. The plastic clips are readily available online for about $.25- $.50 each. They are not something you will find most local dealers stocking right now. Will take even them a couple of days to get if you needed same.

Sponsored

Honeycutt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl sport
I installed the harness on my jl. It had an extra plug for the red wire. I installed it per the video but my lights don't work. Unsure of the problem. The trailer lights work on other vehicles. Any help would be appreciated.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
@WPDave

A friend of mine and I pulled the fender from his JLU a few weeks ago... After pulling it and then replacing it we said to each other that it might have been wise for us to have purchased say 4 of the white plastic attachment clips, to have on hand before we pulled the fender. The plastic clips are readily available online for about $.25- $.50 each. They are not something you will find most local dealers stocking right now. Will take even them a couple of days to get if you needed same.
Did you post somewhere that you upgraded your alternator? If so, what did that cost? Was it a straight plugin replacement?

OP
OP
Grantee

Grantee

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the harness on my jl. It had an extra plug for the red wire. I installed it per the video but my lights don't work. Unsure of the problem. The trailer lights work on other vehicles. Any help would be appreciated.
Can you send a photo of the extra plug and where it is?

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
They changed the design last year. And included the separate plug for the power connector.

I can tell you, mine did not work, after first install. I really thought I had the wires in solid. One was not. The same one gave others the same problem. There's a thread on it here somewhere. I'll see if I can find.

Once I pushed that wire in firmly, I was good to go.

gfrodge

First Name
GARY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
WOW, It only took about me about 30 minutes to run all my wires and hook up to the battery. You don't have to do it like this guy is showing you how. NOTHING has to be taken off. All you have to do is run your power wire through the frame down the driver side, then up inside the engine compartment, across the railing right underneath the back of the hood to your fuse panels. SIMPLE. This link is for a JK trailer brake control, but running the power wire will be the same path for a JL. Once you get the wire ran to the battery, just wire it in the same way the video above shows you how to.. REALLY simple

Sponsored

Last edited: