Installing JL trailer hitch and wiring harness

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I can't find an answer to this, with the Mopar kit when you connect a trailer to the plug does the Jeep automatically turn off the rear park sensors?
Sponsored

BlackoutJLU

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S
So is the Mopar harness worth the price or should I go after market?

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I can't find an answer to this, with the Mopar kit when you connect a trailer to the plug does the Jeep automatically turn off the rear park sensors?
Not on my Rubicon. There is a button on the centre dash area - a capital P with radiating lines - that turns it on and off.

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Not on my Rubicon. There is a button on the centre dash area - a capital P with radiating lines - that turns it on and off.

thanks, I won't bother with the Mopar kit then, no advantage other a after market kit.

suss1173

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU, E46M, E70d,
I’m having a hard time getting through the grommet in the passenger side foot well. Certainly not as easy for me as they make it look in the quadratec video. I’ve tried to use a wire snake, a large zip tie, like they used in the video, and a coat hanger too. No matter what I push through it seems to get caught up and not get all the way through from the cab into the wheel well.

I might give up and just go through the frame rail. However at this point I already have all the interior apart. The only thing holding me up is getting through that grommet in the passenger foot well. Any suggestions are appreciated

Sponsored

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
There’s one grommet and I believe it’s on the passenger side that has wires already going through it. I’ve seen a few horror stories on here where people have tried to push a wire through it and it breaks one of the existing wires and causes problems. I think a lot of people bring wires in through the driver side where the clutch cable would normally go through?

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I’m having a hard time getting through the grommet in the passenger side foot well. Certainly not as easy for me as they make it look in the quadratec video. I’ve tried to use a wire snake, a large zip tie, like they used in the video, and a coat hanger too. No matter what I push through it seems to get caught up and not get all the way through from the cab into the wheel well.

I might give up and just go through the frame rail. However at this point I already have all the interior apart. The only thing holding me up is getting through that grommet in the passenger foot well. Any suggestions are appreciated
I used a coat hanger wire, taped the harness and used grease to slide it through....it was a pain but it worked.

suss1173

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU, E46M, E70d,
I used a coat hanger wire, taped the harness and used grease to slide it through....it was a pain but it worked.

Thanks.
I was able to get it through the grommet. The wire snake seemed to be the best option. For folks that don’t have one, I suggest the coat hanger as the second best option as it took a bit of force to price the other side of the grommet.

I don’t think a zip tie as shown in the quadratic video is going to have an easy time get through both sides of the grommet IMO.

Biohazardshrimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I wonder why nobody is using the 12v source in the cargo area near the driver side taillight. This would keep the control box and most of the wiring out of the elements.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I wonder why nobody is using the 12v source in the cargo area near the driver side taillight. This would keep the control box and most of the wiring out of the elements.
Is the amperage there high enough?
Instead of going through the firewall and attacking the interior, I went underneath from the battery and zip tied to a few good places on the chassis. Used a Curt 56407 ($65) paired with a Draw Tite 76104 ($71) from Amazon. I couldn't be happier.

Sponsored

Biohazardshrimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Is the amperage there high enough?
Instead of going through the firewall and attacking the interior, I went underneath from the battery and zip tied to a few good places on the chassis. Used a Curt 56407 ($65) paired with a Draw Tite 76104 ($71) from Amazon. I couldn't be happier.
The amperage is high enough. The only downside would be if for some reason you were pulling your trailer with the lights on and you had something plugged in the power port running at the same time. For me that power port is useless so that wouldn't be an issue for me. With that being said, I ended up routing mine to the battery the same way you did.

ReDxSiLLy

First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU ecodiesel
Anyone with ecodiesel, follow instructions on install manual for harness install, not videos. There is no way to get fuse through the grommets.
If you are a girl DIY, this is a 3 broken nail job! Lol
Sponsored