Installing JL trailer hitch and wiring harness

Honeycutt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl sport
I ran mine through the cab to keep it as factory. That was simple enough. Just no power to the trailer.
Sponsored

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Jl unlimited S
What wiring harness and hitch did y'all buy for your JL unlimited? I know the Sahara and Rubicon are different. I seem to be stuck on picking one.

acacia052

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited jl
Are you kidding me, the JK wiring hardness took 30 minutes and you were done.
What the hick did Jeep do with the JL
Got to be a simpler more cost effect way
They realized ppl were opting to do it themselves for $30 instead of paying them a few hundred. So they designed it in such a way that any sane person will just pay them for the option vs disassembling their new Jeep to save a couple hundred bucks

acacia052

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited jl
What wiring harness and hitch did y'all buy for your JL unlimited? I know the Sahara and Rubicon are different. I seem to be stuck on picking one.
I bought my hitch from rugged ridge. I’m holding out for a plug n play harness from mopar. Otherwise I’m not sure. Maybe uhaul

Sponsored

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
Seeking help, I installed my wiring today, fairly simple, the real time consuming thing is finding all the tools.
I have triple checked both the back of the 7 way and the front as well as the 4 way.
The problem I have is when I hooked it up to test it, everything works with the exception of the left blinker and stop light, I tested the trailer and the corresponding pin activates the light on the trailer, I dont see any trash in the connector on the trailer that could possibly be causing a problem.
From what I'm seeing the right center pin is for the left side, again it has power when tested with test light at both the 4 pin and the 7 way.
Seems the trailer light adapter on my truck has a chewed thru wire someplace so I cannot use that to test the trailer.
I'm dazed and confused.
Hardest part of the whole install was getting that wire thru the rubber grommet, that alone took 45 minutes, that included the whole install took less than 2 hours, supplied instructions are horrible!

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Seeking help, I installed my wiring today, fairly simple, the real time consuming thing is finding all the tools.
I have triple checked both the back of the 7 way and the front as well as the 4 way.
The problem I have is when I hooked it up to test it, everything works with the exception of the left blinker and stop light, I tested the trailer and the corresponding pin activates the light on the trailer, I dont see any trash in the connector on the trailer that could possibly be causing a problem.
From what I'm seeing the right center pin is for the left side, again it has power when tested with test light at both the 4 pin and the 7 way.
Seems the trailer light adapter on my truck has a chewed thru wire someplace so I cannot use that to test the trailer.
I'm dazed and confused.
Hardest part of the whole install was getting that wire thru the rubber grommet, that alone took 45 minutes, that included the whole install took less than 2 hours, supplied instructions are horrible!
Yes, the instructions are vague. You did test the install separately from the trailer? If so and the problem is still there, it most likely is a pin. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: aai

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
hardest part for me was the re pinning of the plugs. I did have to go back twice during install to make sure they were shoved in all the way. Doesn't help my eyes aren't as sharp and the friggin plugs are so small lol

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
I installed the Smittybilt JH46. It went in with out a hitch... :) Perfect fit for the JL. (I did not add any wiring as of yet. I plan only to use this hitch as a recovery point. Just sharing a data point that the JH46 fits up great).

IMG_5877.JPG

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
Thanks for the replies, spent a few minutes in the 100 degree heat testing and verifying again, what appears to be the problem is the trailer adapter, either cracked, dirty inside or something like that, I put a little ATF on the female ends and plugged it in and everything works fine, guess I will change that plug on a new trailer that's been hooked up maybe 10 times.
If anyone is local to me and wants help I believe I can do this install in less than an hour now that I have already done it once.

Reactions: aai

Sponsored

OP
OP
Grantee

Grantee

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR WHITE, 2016 KL WHITE LTD, 2014 YAMAHA SX190
Harness stopped working. After checking all the connections and just about giving up I decided to open up the controller that goes in the tail light. When I opened it there was water inside and the circuit board was fried. So much for the rubber seal.

860AE188-E724-4638-BA64-52E677A0846B.jpeg

I ordered a new harness (there goes another $200) and hopefully I can just swap out the controller and not the entire setup. I’ll post an update after I get the new harness tomorrow.

KGriner

First Name
K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I will take the hitch reciever. PM me to arange please
Whoa...whats so special about the mopar one that is costs 3x what my $40 Amazon (3500lb rating) one?

Blues

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I put a hitch on my JLU, bought a wiring harness but didn't install it yet because of the hot wire going to the battery. Looks like it involves a lot of time to install it correctly. Then I had to stop and wonder, why not tie into the power outlet that is installed on the driver's side at the back gate? I'm not sure how many amps the outlet will handle, but it certainly should handle a trailer with LED lights. Any thoughts, anyone?

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I put a hitch on my JLU, bought a wiring harness but didn't install it yet because of the hot wire going to the battery. Looks like it involves a lot of time to install it correctly. Then I had to stop and wonder, why not tie into the power outlet that is installed on the driver's side at the back gate? I'm not sure how many amps the outlet will handle, but it certainly should handle a trailer with LED lights. Any thoughts, anyone?
It's not that difficult to go through the firewall....donut correctly, but your choice.