Installing JL axles onto a JK

vaijab

First Name
Vaidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Long story short, I ended up installing 2018 Sahara JL axles on my 2016 Sport JKU.

JL axles are a bit wider, given I've got adjustable control arms, track bars, the geometry is pretty much spot on. However I ran into a few issues:

- Rear JL axle shock mounting brackets needed to be angle-adjusted, since JL shocks are mounted onto the inside of the frame. Easy fix - cut ant weld the brackets back on.
- Rear diff drive shaft flange is slightly different, but Adams Driveshafts made me a set of driveshafts that work perfectly, I needed new ones anyway.

- Now is a more complex issue and I hope people can help me to figure it out. It seems that JL wheel speed sensors work differently, because I get almost double speed shown on the dashboard, i.e. 40mph instead of 20mph. I did count the number of tone ring teeth which seems to be 52, same as JK. I did program correct axle gear ratio, tire size, etc.

Wrong speed measurement is annoying, but what's more annoying is the fact that my traction control is playing up, it tends to kick in hard when I am making turns at slow speeds. The light flashes and brakes are kicking in. No error codes are shown that the wheel speed sensors are bad or malfunctioning.

So I am puzzled here. I do have a way to debug the hell out of my jeep, so any tips and help is much appreciated.
Sponsored

r0bbie2009

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep jk
Long story short, I ended up installing 2018 Sahara JL axles on my 2016 Sport JKU.

JL axles are a bit wider, given I've got adjustable control arms, track bars, the geometry is pretty much spot on. However I ran into a few issues:

- Rear JL axle shock mounting brackets needed to be angle-adjusted, since JL shocks are mounted onto the inside of the frame. Easy fix - cut ant weld the brackets back on.
- Rear diff drive shaft flange is slightly different, but Adams Driveshafts made me a set of driveshafts that work perfectly, I needed new ones anyway.

- Now is a more complex issue and I hope people can help me to figure it out. It seems that JL wheel speed sensors work differently, because I get almost double speed shown on the dashboard, i.e. 40mph instead of 20mph. I did count the number of tone ring teeth which seems to be 52, same as JK. I did program correct axle gear ratio, tire size, etc.

Wrong speed measurement is annoying, but what's more annoying is the fact that my traction control is playing up, it tends to kick in hard when I am making turns at slow speeds. The light flashes and brakes are kicking in. No error codes are shown that the wheel speed sensors are bad or malfunctioning.

So I am puzzled here. I do have a way to debug the hell out of my jeep, so any tips and help is much appreciated.
Did you end up getting them put in? The only reason I ask I was looking to swap my front out with a rubicon one. And how much wider are they.

Last edited:

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
Rubicon axle will be even wider than his JL Sahara axles.

OP
OP

vaijab

First Name
Vaidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Did you end up getting them put in? The only reason I ask I was looking to swap my front out with a rubicon one. And how much wider are they.
I have put them on. I managed to solve all issues. Yeah, Rubicon JL axles are a bit wider compared to Sahara JL.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Hey Vaijab.. question... aside from the shock mount different angle.. are the rear brackets location, heights and angles identical in the JK and JL? I am asking because I want to install Gladiator axles in my Sport.. the front Is direct swap... I removed the brackets from the rear and now I am looking for a bracket kit for the rear axle... I cannot find a kit for the JL.. I can only find brackets for the JK... Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP

vaijab

First Name
Vaidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I didn't measure them actually to get a precise difference. JL axles are a little wider.

But as far as installation and alignment goes, I had no issues whatsoever. I do have adjustable control arms and adjustable track bar, which definitely helps.

Do you have a plan how you're going to solve wheel speed sensor difference? I have spent weeks trying to figure out what was going on - if you haven't read my post already, I suggest you do, but I am happy to help you if you have issues.

Read this thread: https://www.jkowners.com/threads/installing-jl-axles-onto-a-jk.384986/

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I didn't measure them actually to get a precise difference. JL axles are a little wider.

But as far as installation and alignment goes, I had no issues whatsoever. I do have adjustable control arms and adjustable track bar, which definitely helps.

Do you have a plan how you're going to solve wheel speed sensor difference? I have spent weeks trying to figure out what was going on - if you haven't read my post already, I suggest you do, but I am happy to help you if you have issues.

Read this thread: https://www.jkowners.com/threads/installing-jl-axles-onto-a-jk.384986/
Hey !.. thanks for the reply message.. mine is actually a JL model... and the axles I bought are from a Gladiator... so I assume they have the same type of wheel sensor since they are practically identical rigs.. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mindflowers

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jk Jeep JL
Hey what did you do about the parking brake cables Im done with everything but that
Sponsored