Installing hitch on 2018 JLUS woes

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Got a hitch receiver. Looked at videos. 4 bolts.. simple.

Well when I went to install it, there is a bracket attached to the two outer holes to mount the hitch. That bracket attaches to the bumper (stock plastic).

Brings me to two issues. One is I can't get rid of the bracket it appears without removing the bumper. It is located above the lip of the bumper. And two, since it attaches to the bumper it is part of how the bumper is mounted to the frame. So I am leary of disconnecting this mounting.

Here is one side of the bracket in the attached image.

Any suggestions?

20190308_120600.jpg
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
What hitch brand did you get? My curt brand hitch bolted up to my sport with plastic bumper with no issues whatso ever. Not sure what bracket you are talking about?

OP
OP
Chomper

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What hitch brand did you get? My curt brand hitch bolted up to my sport with plastic bumper with no issues whatso ever. Not sure what bracket you are talking about?
Mopar. There is a bracket bolted to where the outer holes are for the hitch. That bracket is also bolted to the bumper.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting, i dont think mine had that. I had 4 free and open threaded holes it lined right up. I didnt have to remove anything. Maybe something was missed on install from the factory from my bumper lol.

OP
OP
Chomper

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting, i dont think mine had that. I had 4 free and open threaded holes it lined right up. I didnt have to remove anything. Maybe something was missed on install from the factory from my bumper lol.
Yeah. It is weird. The two inner holes are not in use. None of the install videos I watched had this bracket either.

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar. There is a bracket bolted to where the outer holes are for the hitch. That bracket is also bolted to the bumper.
That bolt there doesnt remove and the hitch slide under or over it?

OP
OP
Chomper

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That bolt there doesnt remove and the hitch slide under or over it?
It is actually part of the bracket. A nut that a bolt runs through from the other side of the frame by the muffler. So being part of the bracket I can't get it out of the way. The only thing I can think to do without removing the bumper is try to bend the bracket. Just not sure if that is wise since it is a mounting point for the bumper.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OP
OP
Chomper

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
Hi Chomper.

My UK spec Rubicon has the same metal bracket.

Like yours, it has two captive nuts which align with the outer holes on the receiver fitting. As you mention, there are existing bolts running through the cross member to secure that bumper bracket.
The metal bracket on mine is a little different to the one in your photo in that it has two large cut outs where the central receiver bolts go through the cross member.

I was able to create enough space between the cross member and metal bracket to slide the u section receiver in place. I just levered it out carefully with a couple of pry bars, one either side. Then I refitted the outer two bolts, clamping the U section in place.

So the inner two receiver bolts have their nuts running directly onto the receiver.

And the outer two bolts use the captive nuts on that bumper bracket, with the receiver sandwiched between the cross member and the bumper bracket. My receiver fitting instructions said to refit the existing outer bolts.

Hope this makes sense.

The bigger challenge I had in the UK is that there is a diesel adblue tank bolted to the rear cross member on the right hand side of the vehicle which makes it very difficult to pass the right hand inner and outer bolt through the receiver and cross member. The tank is in the way :(
There are also two vertical bolts holding the rear of the tank to the cross member which screw into threaded holes on the cross member. You can see one of those threaded holes on your picture. Some of the earlier JK hitches available in the UK don't have slots cut in them to allow the inner of those vertical bolts holding the Adblue tank bolt to be refitted once the receiver is in place, so they are no good for a JL unless you modify them.

The non MOPAR aftermarket towbar I managed to source was type approved for a JL with adblue tank, but the fitting instructions failed to mention that you need to slacken off the front adblue mounts as well and drop the tank so you can thread those cross member bolts through the chassis.

Given our crazy type approval laws in Europe, I didn't want to modify a JK receiver, and the European JL Mopar kit was no good for me as it only comes with a detachable swan neck type tow ball. We don't use your 2" square section style receiver mount over here. I needed a tow bar with a flange type fitting to take our cycle rack.

Next problem in Europe is the lack of availability on the official wiring harness. I've had one on back order for 2 weeks now and still no ETA from the Dealer. You guessed it, the European spec is different from your USA set up, although I'm sure I could use a USA kit if all else fails and just wire up the socket to European spec. I don't want to use a generic kit with a bypass relay as I'm loathed to tap into each of the tail light harnesses, especially given the can bus set up on the Wrangler and potential warranty issues in the future.

So like you, what I thought was going to be a 15 minute job, ended up taking most of an afternoon.

Sponsored

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler sport s
just installed the hitch with no problems. no bracket.

bellts

First Name
Timmy!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS 3.6l, Manual (Timmychanga)
Occupation
Software Engineer (of sorts),
just installed the hitch with no problems. no bracket.
Same here.... have a 2018 JLU and there was no bracket.... When I bought my hitch receiver I noticed a lot of people complaining about having to remove the nuts from the assembly to make it work. I'm guessing this is a similar situation. I heard the JK receivers will work but it might be recessed a bit (from the bumper) -- of course sans welded nuts.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Got a hitch receiver. Looked at videos. 4 bolts.. simple.

Well when I went to install it, there is a bracket attached to the two outer holes to mount the hitch. That bracket attaches to the bumper (stock plastic).

Brings me to two issues. One is I can't get rid of the bracket it appears without removing the bumper. It is located above the lip of the bumper. And two, since it attaches to the bumper it is part of how the bumper is mounted to the frame. So I am leary of disconnecting this mounting.

Here is one side of the bracket in the attached image.

Any suggestions?

20190308_120600.jpg
I had the same problem, I just loosened the bracket, and slid the hitch up to line up with the holes. Worked fine. I did have a little trouble creating enough space in between the bracket and the bumper, but it worked.

mfkoch07

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I purchased the Curt hitch and the instructions stated to use the existing bolts in the bracket. Just remove, insert hitch plate between cross member and bracket and re-use the bolts as well as two supplied bolts. Maybe took all of 20 minutes to install.

hilldweller11

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 3.6 MT
I thought about just sliding it out of the way and leaving it also (the bracket). Was able to get it out and install the hitch. Not too much trouble. 2019 2Dr JL Rubicon.
Sponsored