Sponsored

Installing Front Camera

WisTex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I acquired an Alpine HCE-C2600FD front view camera for my 2018 JLUS from Quadatec. The Quadratic site page for the camera identified it as being suitable for a 2018 JL. I started to have have doubts on how directly compatible it is even though it is identified as "universally compatible." Am I right in thinking that to install it I will need a Tazor and the Tazor JL-AV Cable kit?

The customer assistance at Quadratec and Alpine were next to worthless in addressing my installation questions.
Sponsored

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I don't think the 7" screen has a spare video input, like the 8.4" has. Tazer says their video kit is only for the 8.4" screens.

OP
OP

WisTex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I have the 8.4".

I can't understand why FCA didn't offer a front camera option on the JL. Once you have one on a vehicle, you don't want to be without one.

OP
OP

WisTex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Am I right in thinking that to install a front camera the "Enable Cargo Camera" input setting on the Tazer is used?

Sponsored

OP
OP

WisTex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
The more research I do on installing this camera it appears it can be only connected to Alpine video systems. Does anyone know if it can be connected to the 8.4" factory installed screen using the Tazor AV cable set? As I previously mentioned, the Quadratec and Alpine technical support were next to worthless in answering the simple question: "Can it be installed in a Jeep JL with a factory installed screen?"

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think the 7" screen has a spare video input, like the 8.4" has. Tazer says their video kit is only for the 8.4" screens.
Where is the spare video input? I have the 8.4" screen. I really want something plug in friendly. it would be great to have a recording buffer too.

OP
OP

WisTex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Where is the spare video input? I have the 8.4" screen. I really want something plug in friendly. it would be great to have a recording buffer too.
Everything I have read is that you need the Tazor JL video cable kit to install an additional camera plus a Tazor to activate the "cargo camera" setting. If I am wrong please correct me.

https://zautomotive.com/product/av-cables/

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Everything I have read is that you need the Tazor JL video cable kit to install an additional camera plus a Tazor to activate the "cargo camera" setting. If I am wrong please correct me.

https://zautomotive.com/product/av-cables/
@WisTex

There are probably 10+ forum member's that that purchased a Tazer JL, (to activate cargo camera) purchased the AV cable from ZAutomotive, purchased an inexpensive camera from say Amazon.com and with all in hand, successfully set-up a front camera on their JL.

Here is one forum member who did the deed:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/off-road-camera-writeup.13714/

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
This seems like over-kill. Have to by a $300 Tazer to re-reprogram one item in the menu to turn on a $30 cargo camera? I realize some people may have this already for tires and other mods, but I don't know for me it doesn't make sense. On what level does a consumer violate copyright on their operating system to turn on a feature. I don't get it.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This seems like over-kill. Have to by a $300 Tazer to re-reprogram one item in the menu to turn on a $30 cargo camera? I realize some people may have this already for tires and other mods, but I don't know for me it doesn't make sense. On what level does a consumer violate copyright on their operating system to turn on a feature. I don't get it.
For sure, for most guys, this is a lot of $ to spend, if all you want is to program so you can have a front camera..

I know I look at the $ I spent for a Tazer JL as $ spent to turn on/off many features and to adjust settings.... Dollars spent on a programmer that does lots in regard to my JL.

I also know that when I sell my JL in a few years, I will also be able to resell my Tazer JL and undoubtedly get half or more of the $ I spent on it.
So, reality is for say, $150+- I am benefiting from the Tazer JL.

Programming my JL with a programmer, sure makes more sense then giving $ to a dealer to program... those $ are lost forever.

OP
OP

WisTex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Z Automotive has told me that they will have a camera kit coming out shortly that's straight forward to install. I'm going to wait to see what they will be offering. Alpine is missing out of a huge market by not offering their apparently high quality cameras as a direct connect to factory installed FCA Uconnect systems.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Z Automotive has told me that they will have a camera kit coming out shortly that's straight forward to install. I'm going to wait to see what they will be offering. Alpine is missing out of a huge market by not offering their apparently high quality cameras as a direct connect to factory installed FCA Uconnect systems.
Shortly ... as in one week, one month, or one year?

Also, where will it mount? I like the idea of high in the center grill. Not sure down under the bumper will servive long, since I’m keeping my Rubicon stock.