Sponsored

Installing Fox IFP 2.0 Steering Stabilizer. Any tips?

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
So I have a Fox IFP 2.0 Steering STabilizer coming today. When I go to install it, is there anything I need to do prior? By that I mean...do I need to run the wheels a certain way, should I have them straight?

Any tips...like if I install this, do I need to do an alignment? First time I've ever done anything like this (banker, not a mechanic)
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So I have a Fox IFP 2.0 Steering STabilizer coming today. When I go to install it, is there anything I need to do prior? By that I mean...do I need to run the wheels a certain way, should I have them straight?

Any tips...like if I install this, do I need to do an alignment? First time I've ever done anything like this (banker, not a mechanic)
Remove and replace. Super simple, wheels straight.

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
Remove and replace. Super simple, wheels straight.
after install do I need to prime it? Or just get up and go?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
Steering stabilizer is in...well got delivered.

now I canā€™t get the bolts broken loose. Putting as much of my 205 lbs as I can and this thing is just laughing at me.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Steering stabilizer is in...well got delivered.

now I canā€™t get the bolts broken loose. Putting as much of my 205 lbs as I can and this thing is just laughing at me.
Leverage is your friend, put a pipe, or floor jack handle on your ratchet, or use impact if you have one.

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
Itā€™s in! Helps when you are turning the right way. I was tightening it.

Told you I wasnā€™t a mechanic lol

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Fox IFP 2.0 Steering Stabilizer. Any tips? DEC89414-64DC-4648-B38D-B78EC3E0D233

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
Had to put the fox sticker on

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Fox IFP 2.0 Steering Stabilizer. Any tips? 4F005BB5-2028-438B-8211-B47E9FE2D56A

Reactions: Mac
OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
It wants to pull to the right. Curious if that corrects itself as it gets used.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Unfortunately you fell into another forum/aftermarket folklore that led you (and many others) to put an expensive pressurized steering stabilizer on your Jeep.

The FOX IFP is a pressurized shock and will alway put some amount of pressure to one side, as it tries to go to the fully extended position.

You should have felt yourself how hard it was to compress it for installation, and how it tried to uncompress itself. That is the "pull" (actually push) force you are feeling while driving.

A steering stabilizer must be neutral for optimum results. Either a hydraulic shock like the factory one or steer smarts HD-N or a through shaft one like the Fox ATS.

You can get used to the pull or you can exchange for one of the above types.

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
Unfortunately you fell into another forum/aftermarket folklore that led you (and many others) to put an expensive pressurized steering stabilizer on your Jeep.

The FOX IFP is a pressurized shock and will alway put some amount of pressure to one side, as it tries to go to the fully extended position.

You should have felt yourself how hard it was to compress it for installation, and how it tried to uncompress itself. That is the "pull" (actually push) force you are feeling while driving.

A steering stabilizer must be neutral for optimum results. Either a hydraulic shock like the factory one or steer smarts HD-N or a through shaft one like the Fox ATS.

You can get used to the pull or you can exchange for one of the above types.
i looked at the fox arts but couldnā€™t figure out how to install it (if you canā€™t tell I am not very mechanically inclined)

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
i looked at the fox arts but couldnā€™t figure out how to install it (if you canā€™t tell I am not very mechanically inclined)
That is a little more involved. The FOX ATS comes with a relocation bracket. You mount it with a clamp on top of the tie-rod, and the other side mounts to a longer replacement bolt for the trackbar mount (see picture below). You remove the factory mount bracket. It does require a small lift/ 2" bump stops to prevent interferance. It all can be installed in ~1/2 hour with the Jeep on the ground.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing Fox IFP 2.0 Steering Stabilizer. Any tips? 1620358327376

Here is the version (says JK) that works with the JL stock tie-rod (1 and 5/8th diameter).
FOX-985-02-12207+ JK with 1-5/8" OD Tie Rod (Aftermarket JK Tie Rod)1-5/8"15.08"23.27"8.19"

*** But *** The question is, why are you changing your steering stabilizer? Are you trying to fix a problem (e.g. excessive bump steer or shimmy when you hit a bump)?

The fact is that Jeep engineers redesigned the factory stabilizer multiple times to match performance to the vehicle. And unless you have an issue you are better off with the factory one - I personally run 37" tires and I simply relocated the factory stabilizer to above the tie-rod for clearance, and it performs well.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I stated this in another thread. Have no personal experience. Found this posted recently. Have no idea if works or not but may be worth a try.

I decided to reinstall the FOX 2.0 IFP stabilizer and "prime" the stabilizer. This was accomplished by moving the steering wheel right to left full lock to full lock 5 times in a row, taking about 1 second per revolution.

After completing this, the steering stabilizer rides perfect! Steering wheel remains centered while driving straight will little to no perceptible pull to the right.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I stated this in another thread. Have no personal experience. Found this posted recently. Have no idea if works or not but may be worth a try.

I decided to reinstall the FOX 2.0 IFP stabilizer and "prime" the stabilizer. This was accomplished by moving the steering wheel right to left full lock to full lock 5 times in a row, taking about 1 second per revolution.

After completing this, the steering stabilizer rides perfect! Steering wheel remains centered while driving straight will little to no perceptible pull to the right.
Before I ordered mine I read the reviews on different websites . There was a review on Quadratec stating the multiple left and right turns until it locked. I did that at least 10 times my Rubi goes down the road perfect no complaints .
Sponsored