Sippycup88

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The Intro:
I am starting a thread here, as I work on my radio installs prior to EJS 2019. I wanted to add some communications to my JLU Rubicon, and decided that to cover as many bases as possible, I have purchased a CB radio and a Ham radio to install. Let's go over some of the information that has been hashed over before, but I will touch on it here. I wanted a CB radio for communications on the trail and for road reports from truck drivers while on the interstate. I wanted a Ham radio because getting the license is inexpensive and relatively easy to study for. The Ham radio will let me reach out further while offroading and give me the ability to contact people much further away when I'm off the beaten path. Each radio has it's own use, and each will be used for different purposes.

The Radios:
Stryker SR-94HPC- This is a 10m radio that can be modified to add CB frequencies. It has a modifiable power level, which allows you to stay at 4 watts of output power and stay within FCC rules, as well as increase power output to roughly 50 watts on other frequencies. Power output over 4 watts on the CB frequencies is against FCC Regulations.
Yaesu FTM-400XDR- This radio is capable of transmitting and receiving on the 2m and 70cm bands, which are very commonly used in the Ham radio world. Power output is about 100 watts, and the radio offers plenty of features people expect out of a modern mobile Ham setup. The Yaesu also features a nice color touchscreen, and a removable faceplate.

The Peripherals:
Here is a list of the parts I will utilize to install both of these radios in the cleanest way possible.
CB Bar from [Banned Site]- This mount bolts to the rollbar just behind the A-Pillar. It offers the cleanest installation location for the radios.
Firestik 4' Firefly CB Antenna
Firestik FireRing Coaxial Cable (CB)
Diamond NR770HBNMO Antenna (Ham)
Comet CK-3NMO Coaxial Cable (Ham)
Cooltech LLC Antenna Mount-Tailgate CB antenna mount
Topsy Products Fender Antenna Mount-Used for NMO Ham antenna
Topsy Products Microphone mount-Bolts in where grab handle above glove compartment is
NOTE: I would have used the Topsy Fender Mount for both antennas, as I really like their products, but I wanted to keep the antennas a little further apart. This setup allows me to install the antennas about as far apart as possible, but if I were just installing one radio, I like the Topsy mount much more. Very sturdy and well built. It also allows for less coax showing on the outside of the vehicle.

I will be updating this post as more of the installation is complete. I will TRY to remember to take pictures as items are installed, and I will be using the factory auxiliary switches to supply power to both radios. If you did not purchase your JL with these switches, power can be run directly to the battery, however I would recommend using a 12V power distribution box that includes fuses and relays. One connection to the battery, and it allows for powering multiple accessories. These can be found on Amazon, along with other online retailers.
Sponsored

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Power output over 4 watts on the CB frequencies is against FCC Regulations.
It is also a violation of FCC rules to transmit on the Citizen's Band Service using a radio that has not been certified under Part 95. The Stryker is certified under Part 97 (Amateur Radio Service).

OP
OP
Sippycup88

Sippycup88

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It is also a violation of FCC rules to transmit on the Citizen's Band Service using a radio that has not been certified under Part 95. The Stryker is certified under Part 97 (Amateur Radio Service).
Yep. It sure is. I'm sure everyone who uses radios on a regular basis has violated one rule or another. I'll take the risk.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Yep. It sure is. I'm sure everyone who uses radios on a regular basis has violated one rule or another. I'll take the risk.
I personally don't understand that attitude. I believe you said in another post that you have an amateur license so why not get a CB radio in addition to the 2m/70cm? You don't need to blatantly violate the law for what you're trying to accomplish.

OP
OP
Sippycup88

Sippycup88

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I personally don't understand that attitude. I believe you said in another post that you have an amateur license so why not get a CB radio in addition to the 2m/70cm? You don't need to blatantly violate the law for what you're trying to accomplish.
I do have a CB radio. It started life as a 10m radio, and now has 11m functionality. It will not be used on 10m. I chose this, because I can use it at 4w regularly, but have more output power if needed. I've used plenty of the CB radios that are 2.5-3w out of the box, and they do not accomplish what I'd like to get out of a CB radio.

Sponsored

atxrickyricky

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Thanks for posting information on the Stryker SR-94HPC radio! While it's missing SSB, it seems like I never once ran across someone using that when I wheeled back in Texas. It's a very enticing radio with some great options.

atxrickyricky

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you looked at the AnyTone AT-5555N by any chance? Very similar radio, similar price, but I think it does SSB. While I haven't used SSB it myself when I had a CB, I love the idea of being able to use it if I want to.

OP
OP
Sippycup88

Sippycup88

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I looked at the Anytone. I'm picky when it comes to radios, and Strykers have treated me well in the past. Space is at a premium for mounting radios, so I opted for the smallest footprint available that did what I wanted. The color screen was a plus as well. It looks quite a bit more modern.

atxrickyricky

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do like that you can limit the power in the Stryker to 4W. I'm trying to see if the Anytone has the same functionality.

I looked at the Anytone. I'm picky when it comes to radios, and Strykers have treated me well in the past. Space is at a premium for mounting radios, so I opted for the smallest footprint available that did what I wanted. The color screen was a plus as well. It looks quite a bit more modern.

Sponsored

Rotties JL

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4dr JL Sahara
Occupation
Retired
Here’s a pic of the Stryker 94 in my wife’s van, it is small and a great AM radio,but I want SSB so I’m looking at a anyone 6666.

5EC3911E-F1CC-458B-93D7-2375642A4250.jpeg

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I have an Anytone 2m/70cm and the AT-6666. Both are fantastic. The 2m/70cm can do simplex out to 38 miles (farthest I’ve hit a repeater), and I was just talking to Georgia yesterday on 10m clear as day. No amps. The front end on the 6666 is surprisingly good for the price point. I’m sold on both.

Antenna on the 10m is a Firestik Mach 10. The dual band is a comet.

mFDLkIXl.jpg

iXSlqdBl.jpg

LFLOaFHl.jpg

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I have an Anytone 2m/70cm and the AT-6666. Both are fantastic. The 2m/70cm can do simplex out to 38 miles (farthest I’ve hit a repeater), and I was just talking to Georgia yesterday on 10m clear as day. No amps. The front end on the 6666 is surprisingly good for the price point. I’m sold on both.

Antenna on the 10m is a Firestik Mach 10. The dual band is a comet.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing a Ham Radio and a CB Radio LFLOaFHl

I am going to install a cobra 75 CB radio in my 22 JLR. Will probably power it via the 10 amp battery wire in the six wire bundle from my factory aux switches. Do I need to disconnect my two batteries before I do the install?

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I am going to install a cobra 75 CB radio in my 22 JLR. Will probably power it via the 10 amp battery wire in the six wire bundle from my factory aux switches. Do I need to disconnect my two batteries before I do the install?
I mean, you SHOULD…… But I didn’t with my 2m/70cm radio. I just did a direct connection. My 10m radio is wired to my aftermarket relay station, and any time I go in there I disconnect the main supply from the battery, but leave the batteries connected. Mainly because it has a 100A service and exposed terminals inside the box.
Sponsored