Sponsored

Installing a 2.5" lift in my garage myself?

OP
OP
Chemy350

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
DoIt.gif

Having said that...

• Have a buddy type person help, sometimes a second pair of hands is very helpful
  • Yes, have two jacks for the job. And jack stands.
  • Invest in your own skills and tool collection, don't pay other people to do so
  • Installing a lift kit is straight forward (My Mopar lift was my first install) but can be time consuming. Especially when holes don't line up (I'm looking at you LCAs) and torquing everything to spec.
  • As others have said, follow the written instructions (Mopar cartoon instructions are full of errors, keep this in mind) and you'll be fine.
  • End-link bolts top/bottom are the same diameter but different thread pitches. This might save you a few minutes. (iirc) Put the nuts back on the bolts to keep track while they're out.
  • The front bump stops are kind of a bitch to install. Have some flex-head wrenches/ratchets for this. A strap-wrench helps too. (this is Mopar lift specific advice)
Bottom line, if you're confident with a wrench (and have the right wrenches etc.) then you can do this job. You can't really screw it up, 'cept for possibly putting parts in the wrong places (Note: this is where Mopar instructions have errors)
Awsome info! Thank you for taking the time to type it out.
Sponsored

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
Wow!! Soo much good information here!!! I truly cant thank you all enough- you have not let me down!

I consider myself very meticulous and detail oriented when wrenching. I have my A+P license (Airframe and powerplant) which is an aircraft mechanic. I only did it for a year or so before I left the business but I love doing this stuff. I don't know the first thing about a lift kit, I have paid previously to have it done.

I do have a few good Porsche technicians here that have no experience in lift kits but would be happy to help me. I have most of the tolls listed. I'll need a couple of high jack stands and maybe a new torque wrench.

I will be sure to post here if I have any questions and I will also post after I do it :)

Thank you all!
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing a 2.5" lift in my garage myself? youcandoit

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
So... I am very handy around the house and on cars. That being said, I have never installed a lift on a Jeep myself. I plan to buy a 2.5" lift and would prefer to install it myself, more for the project and learning than to save money. I put my winch on myself and few other things and I think it's a lot of fun.

That being said, several friends have told me a spring compressor, which I've never used, can be extremely dangerous. My questions is this, can I install the lift and components of the lift and then drive it to a shop to have them swap the springs out? I am not sure the order of installing the parts so I wasn't sure if this was a possibility.

Any tips on using a spring compressor safely?

TIA!
It does not require a spring compressor - you can lower the axle enough to get the springs out easily. As far as doing it yourself, I would rate myself as pretty handy and have a decent set of tools and I did a complete lift with shocks in the driveway in one weekend by myself never having done it before. So it is doable.

tma777

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I have done a lot of lifts on different vehicles, if you take your time, have the right tools, and follow the directions you'll be fine. I put a mopar lift on mine last week in my garage using a couple of jacks and jack stands, had it installed, on the ground and torqued to spec in just over 4 hours by myself, a helper is always a good idea. I say go for it, you will learn a lot doing it yourself and really get to know your Jeep.

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
I am very handy around the house and on cars
If you can claim this statement on this forum, you can certainly handle this install. Take it slow, try to enjoy the experience. You will get frustrated, put it down and grab a beer or a sandwich, it will clear up for you. As Clark used to say "its all part of the experience!"

Take your best estimate of time, say 8 to 12 hours and multiply that my about 2.5. :CWL:
All I can say is that I'm particular and slow at this...but that's ok. Treat it like a hobby.
I did mine, by myself and worked on it in the evenings for about 5 days including re arranging the garage and getting all my tools out and then put away (tools in basement).

Not only do I have a very clear understanding of the solid axle suspension system, I'll be able to trouble shoot any issues on the trail from the knowledge gained in this exercise.

Here are a couple of specialty things I used to make things a bit easier.

Add these to your list of tools needed: Multi-bit screwdriver, vice grips, zip tie, and all of your other vehicle's sissor jacks.

Take the bit out of the screwdriver and use the screwdriver to hold the allen key for the back of the end links (kinda like putting a pipe on a socket wrench)
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing a 2.5" lift in my garage myself? Helpfull tools

Loop and tighten the zip tie on the double ended screwdriver bit. You can thread the end of the zip tie up thru the hole in the rear spring perch. Then pull the other end down and clamp with a couple of vice grips. Now, seat the spring perch with the finger in the alignment hole. Pull down on the vice grips, and that will hold your spring perch in place while you seat it on the bottom perch.
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing a 2.5" lift in my garage myself? Rear spring perch holder

Lastly, I used multiple sissor jacks on the ends of the axle with a power wrench. I could easily go up or down with the jack while getting the holes lined up for the track bars, lower control arms, and finally to keep a seated spring in place until I got the shock bolted in.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing a 2.5" lift in my garage myself? Jacks and Stands

One more note, nobody tells a good story about dropping off their jeep to have some bolt-ons done; but, you will have a story to tell about doing it yourself!

*to keep the trolling at bay, I'm not saying your a puss for not doing all the work on your jeep yourself. There are things that I will have a professional do, and things I will do myself. There is no right answer here, push yourself a bit. you'll be glad you did...

Sponsored

Thegrants82

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Good post dude.
If you can claim this statement on this forum, you can certainly handle this install. Take it slow, try to enjoy the experience. You will get frustrated, put it down and grab a beer or a sandwich, it will clear up for you. As Clark used to say "its all part of the experience!"

Take your best estimate of time, say 8 to 12 hours and multiply that my about 2.5. :CWL:
All I can say is that I'm particular and slow at this...but that's ok. Treat it like a hobby.
I did mine, by myself and worked on it in the evenings for about 5 days including re arranging the garage and getting all my tools out and then put away (tools in basement).

Not only do I have a very clear understanding of the solid axle suspension system, I'll be able to trouble shoot any issues on the trail from the knowledge gained in this exercise.

Add these to your list of tools needed: Multi-bit screwdriver, vice grips, zip tie, and all of your other vehicle's sissor jacks.

Take the bit out of the screwdriver and use the screwdriver to hold the allen key for the back of the end links (kinda like putting a pipe on a socket wrench)

Loop and tighten the zip tie on the double ended screwdriver bit. You can thread the end of the zip tie up thru the hole in the rear spring perch. Then pull the other end down and clamp with a couple of vice grips. Now, seat the spring perch with the finger in the alignment hole. Pull down on the vice grips, and that will hold your spring perch in place while you seat it on the bottom perch.

Lastly, I used multiple sissor jacks on the ends of the axle with a power wrench. I could easily go up or down with the jack while getting the holes lined up for the track bars, lower control arms, and finally to keep a seated spring in place until I got the shock bolted in.

One more note, nobody tells a good story about dropping off their jeep to have some bolt-ons done; but, you will have a story to tell about doing it yourself!

*to keep the trolling at bay, I'm not saying your a puss for not doing all the work on your jeep yourself. There are things that I will have a professional do, and things I will do myself. There is no right answer here, push yourself a bit. you'll be glad you did...

Clenz

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting-Gray
I wi

i wish I saw those tips with the Allen wrench and spring perch before I did mine. Good stuff!

tma777

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR

definitely good tips in this post, thanks for sharing.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Although on a JT, Ben from JK Gear and Gadgets on YouTube made a pretty cool home install video for one of our Overland Plus lifts. The process is pretty much the same, and should be a good reference or even just something to show you what to expect!

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
I just did mine last weekend with a buddy who has done a few suspension at home on cars and trucks, never a jeep lift, and I have pretty good mechanical experience, but none with suspension.

Give yourself all day, or better yet a weekend. I did a Metalcloak that was essentially bolt on, which I can't recommend enough, it's fantastic.

If you take your time and measure lengths, heights and angles before and after you can dial it in real close. After install and 100 miles I took it in for alignment and we were less the. 04 out of spec on drivers side toe, back was perfect and everything else within spec.

I would suggest you find some help, you sometimes need to be on both sides of the jeep at once. Also, before you go full droop you need to give the brake lines and electronics on front diff some stretching room or they'll rip right out.

We used 3 floor jack's and 2 jack stands, that 3rd jack came in handy to help make things fit.

I'll do it myself again if the opportunity arises. It's not that scary with the right kit.

My wife doesn't trust me to do it right, so I have an appointment at Cloakworks next week. I really wanted to do it on my own, honestly. But happy wife...
Sponsored