Sponsored

Installing a 2.5" lift in my garage myself?

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
So... I am very handy around the house and on cars. That being said, I have never installed a lift on a Jeep myself. I plan to buy a 2.5" lift and would prefer to install it myself, more for the project and learning than to save money. I put my winch on myself and few other things and I think it's a lot of fun.

That being said, several friends have told me a spring compressor, which I've never used, can be extremely dangerous. My questions is this, can I install the lift and components of the lift and then drive it to a shop to have them swap the springs out? I am not sure the order of installing the parts so I wasn't sure if this was a possibility.

Any tips on using a spring compressor safely?

TIA!
Sponsored

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I would highly recommend finding someone that has done it before many times and has the right tools to teach you in person. There is more than meets the eye when doing a lift and I’d hate for you to get done and it not even be safe to drive. You might even still have to pony up for someone to inspect your work. Just my two cents.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So... I am very handy around the house and on cars. That being said, I have never installed a lift on a Jeep myself. I plan to buy a 2.5" lift and would prefer to install it myself, more for the project and learning than to save money. I put my winch on myself and few other things and I think it's a lot of fun.

That being said, several friends have told me a spring compressor, which I've never used, can be extremely dangerous. My questions is this, can I install the lift and components of the lift and then drive it to a shop to have them swap the springs out? I am not sure the order of installing the parts so I wasn't sure if this was a possibility.

Any tips on using a spring compressor safely?

TIA!
Don’t need to compress spring s to get them out , just droop axle
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing a 2.5" lift in my garage myself? 5ABD6BA5-470E-4818-A977-37B0008E359D

OP
OP
Chemy350

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I would highly recommend finding someone that has done it before many times and has the right tools to teach you in person. There is more than meets the eye when doing a lift and I’d hate for you to get done and it not even be safe to drive. You might even still have to pony up for someone to inspect your work. Just my two cents.
Very valid point, thank you.

OP
OP
Chemy350

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Don’t need to compress spring s to get them out , just droop axle
Jeep Wrangler JL Installing a 2.5" lift in my garage myself? 5ABD6BA5-470E-4818-A977-37B0008E359D
Interesting. Didn't even think of that- may be more than I want to get into.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not that hard, if you plan out what you’re doing, and read through the instructions. YouTube is very helpful as well. It helps if you have two floor jacks and a couple of jack stands. If you decide to do it, your more than welcome to pm me with any questions, I don’t mind.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I suggest you check out the South section within the Staging Area subforum. Start a thread there and you may find a fellow member who lives nearby and is willing to lend a hand and show you the way.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
It really depends on how confident you are in your own mechanical abilities. In my case, I've worked on my own vehicles my whole life, so felt confident to be able to adapt and learn something new.

Before installing the Rubicon suspension (1. 5" lift) and Mopar lift LCA's on my JLU, I had never done a jeep lift before either. However, there are many installation write ups and videos available that showed the way.

My installation went extremely well (but long) and very, very happy with the experience, learning and results!

As others have shared, this is also a great project to get a friend involved with experience to help you!

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
It is not that difficult if you carefully follow directions and have some automotive mechanical aptitude. It is also an excuse to buy some cool new tools! I have done every mod/upgrade on my JLR and as OCD as I am, I hate to think how much $$$ and time I would have spent going back to have work re-done correctly...

The springs are no big deal and no spring compressor required-I have had my front ones out three times! After initial lift (Mopar) install she was listing 3/4" on passenger side (dead level side to side before lift) and I thought it might be the RK perches I used (both the OEM and Mopar ones are side specific and different heights while the RK ones are the same each side) so took it apart and used the Mopar perches-helped a little but less than 1/4". Then I thought the front springs might be defective or mislabeled so ordered a replacement set from Mopar, third time was the charm and she now sits level but the problem was Mopar has the instructions/part numbers reversed on the front springs.

I would suggest you download the Mopar Lift instructions, carefully read through and then decide if you feel comfortable doing the work yourself...

Sponsored

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
If you have, say, replaced springs before, or a control arm and you're comfortable, I think you'd be OK.
You'll need a good floor jack, 1/2 drive socket set with a good long breaker bar, and a torque wrench. 6K lb jack stands since they will give you the height you'll need to droop the axle. Another pair of hands, even to hand you a socket, can save a lot of time getting up and back under the jeep.
You can save a lot of cash, but there's a possibility of not being able to get it right and that's frustrating.
Watch lots of videos, if you think you can pull it off, go for it, but get a friend to help. Good luck!

rawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I just did mine last weekend with a buddy who has done a few suspension at home on cars and trucks, never a jeep lift, and I have pretty good mechanical experience, but none with suspension.

Give yourself all day, or better yet a weekend. I did a Metalcloak that was essentially bolt on, which I can't recommend enough, it's fantastic.

If you take your time and measure lengths, heights and angles before and after you can dial it in real close. After install and 100 miles I took it in for alignment and we were less the. 04 out of spec on drivers side toe, back was perfect and everything else within spec.

I would suggest you find some help, you sometimes need to be on both sides of the jeep at once. Also, before you go full droop you need to give the brake lines and electronics on front diff some stretching room or they'll rip right out.

We used 3 floor jack's and 2 jack stands, that 3rd jack came in handy to help make things fit.

I'll do it myself again if the opportunity arises. It's not that scary with the right kit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Installing a 2.5" lift in my garage myself? 20200808_125104

Last edited:

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I fall on the side of learning. Every bit of money you spent paying someone else was a lesson you couldn't learn. So I say go for it yourself. There are plenty of people here with enough smarts to point you in the right direction should you need it. It's pretty amazing what you can create in your 2 car garage.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
You only need spring compressors if you have coil overs or struts and are swapping out the shock or spring part, and our Jeeps (stock) do not have those. Drop the axle slowly and the springs decompress and almost just fall off. Now, you'll honestly want two jacks or at least a helping hand and make sure you disconnect all the necessary tabs and connectors before dropping the axle or you can stretch and break something.

I've never done suspension work before but upgrading my Sport S to Rubicon suspension with a spacer was easy. The rear was even easier than the front.

You'll be fine. It's literally crazy how easy it is. Takes long the first time you do it and then you can just go in and out in an hour the next time.