Sponsored

Installer messed up. Should I just buy new LCAs?

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
I just realized that the Installer messed up when he installed my Rock Krawler lift. He forgot to cut a notch on the lower control bar mount so that I could get to the zerk fitting. This might be a blessing in disguise. Maybe I would be better off just replacing the LCAs with something that doesn't need lubrication? Could I just buy LCAs from someone else like MC or Synergy that don't require lubrication and be better off? Thoughts?
Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I just realized that the Installer messed up when he installed my Rock Krawler lift. He forgot to cut a notch on the lower control bar mount so that I could get to the zerk fitting. This might be a blessing in disguise. Maybe I would be better off just replacing the LCAs with something that doesn't need lubrication? Could I just buy LCAs from someone else like MC or Synergy that don't require lubrication and be better off? Thoughts?
In my opinion, having a greaseable part can be a good thing. I just grease everything during my oil change at 5k miles, unless I do heavy offroading. Then when I'm under the Jeep, I'm looking around for damage, loose parts, etc. But if you don't think you'll remember to check them, then maybe service free parts are best.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
IMO , you shouldn’t spend another 350-450 bucks on new arms. It’s easy to notch the bracket. I just used a 2-1/4 “ metal hole saw. It doesn’t take very long to do it.......

Jeep Wrangler JL Installer messed up.  Should I just buy new LCAs? 5159FEA7-6C16-4A2B-A9C2-782CDED57BE0
Jeep Wrangler JL Installer messed up.  Should I just buy new LCAs? A595B1DA-4DA0-4EEA-BD7B-BE5B11697A60

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
RK lifts have an insane amount of articulation due to the high misalignment joints on all the control arms, ill take the extra maintenance, im already gonna be under there at least every 5k anyway. I do my oil changes and tire rotations at 5k and spend an extra hour or so under there inspecting, checking torque, and greasing everything up. When ive been offroading hard im under there inspecting things more often as the previous poster stated, i add greasings then. Its just part of the price you pay to play this game at higher than stock levels. Its worth it IMO.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Yeah I’d get something without grease ports. Metalcloak or synergy for sure.

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
One of the RK guys on here recommended using this right angle grease gun tip.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G76OMA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it but haven't tried it yet. Seems like it might work without cutting. Worst case either cut the spot or just unbolt the arm (one at a time only) and grease it. It's not like it has to be done often.

OP
OP
psdtime

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
psdtime

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to all that have replied. I will probably give the grease fitting a shot, if it doesn't work, then I'll likely change the LCA. I do not have adjustable LCA's. So if I do change them, it's not like there was a huge investment in those particular parts. The RK lift I bought was similar (in parts that are replaced) to the Mopar lift, so it definitely wasn't their top of the line. I have no complaints with the lift other than that. Thanks again.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks to all that have replied. I will probably give the grease fitting a shot, if it doesn't work, then I'll likely change the LCA. I do not have adjustable LCA's. So if I do change them, it's not like there was a huge investment in those particular parts. The RK lift I bought was similar (in parts that are replaced) to the Mopar lift, so it definitely wasn't their top of the line. I have no complaints with the lift other than that. Thanks again.
Please report back if the fitting works. One of the reasons I’m shying away from the RK lift is that I don’t want to cut that notch in the mount. If this fitting works, RK might be the lift for me.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If I remember correctly, there is a specific kind of grease that RK requires, correct?
Not anymore, if it’s fairly new it has the newer joints.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, great. Thanks. It was bought in December of last year. New enough?
I’m pretty sure, to be safe if you reach out to @Rock Krawler Suspension they’ll tell you for sure. Opinions vary , but they’ve been great with me. They’ll answer whatever questions you might have.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, great. Thanks. It was bought in December of last year. New enough?
Did you go back to your installer and ask him to notch the brackets for you ? It should’ve been included in your install price, being it’s in the instructions.

OP
OP
psdtime

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you go back to your installer and ask him to notch the brackets for you ? It should’ve been included in your install price, being it’s in the instructions.
I did not ask him about it. I just noticed yesterday. I have no doubt he would do it, but his shop is an hour and 15 mins away. So, I'm going to be wasting some time to go back there. Don't have a lot of time currently.
Sponsored