Installed the Rusty’s front track bar mount bracket

thefrog

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6 speed manual
I know this is a pretty old thread but my mounting bracket has been sitting in storage for over a year. Couldn't install it for health reasons but I'm almost recovered and ready to give it a go. My only question is, does it really require an additional pair of hands as stated in the instructions for lining up, or keeping aligned, the steering box mounting holes? I won't have a helper for this job...

Advertisement

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
Backup for The Stig
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is a pretty old thread but my mounting bracket has been sitting in storage for over a year. Couldn't install it for health reasons but I'm almost recovered and ready to give it a go. My only question is, does it really require an additional pair of hands as stated in the instructions for lining up, or keeping aligned, the steering box mounting holes? I won't have a helper for this job...

I installed this about a month ago... it's something you can do without a helper, depending upon your physical capabilities. The vehicle will remain on the ground.

I had to jack the driver side up a bit to expand the coil spring a little to get a socket to fit securely on the rear-most steering box bolts. But the tire stayed on the ground.

The steering box will move out of place, but can be realigned pretty easily. The mention of a a second person is typically for ease of installation; possibly even liability.

See post # 32,086 > > > Rusty's track bar brace

RedundanT

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I installed this about a month ago... it's something you can do without a helper, depending upon your physical capabilities. The vehicle will remain on the ground.

I had to jack the driver side up a bit to get a socket to fit securely on the rear-most steering box bolts since the spring made it a little tricky. But the tires stayed on the ground.

The steering box will move a bit, but can be realigned pretty easily. The mention of a a second person is typically for ease of installation; possibly even liability.

See post # 32,086 > > > Rusty's track bar brace
The problem of doing this by yourself is holding up the steering gear box while holding the bracket and lining up the bolts. A second person will really keep you from having a high speed come apart when trying to hold all that weight and install the bolts.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Backup for The Stig
Vehicle Showcase
The problem of doing this by yourself is holding up the steering gear box while holding the bracket and lining up the bolts. A second person will really keep you from having a high speed come apart when trying to hold all that weight and install the bolts.
I totally understand... but this was seamless for me. I considered sticking a wood block underneath to keep it from shifting, but it wasn't necessary.

RedundanT

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I totally understand... but this was seamless for me. I considered sticking a wood block underneath to keep it from shifting, but it wasn't necessary.
I'm older, not as stout as I was on the farm, so the extra hand came in..........................handy. LOL

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Backup for The Stig
Vehicle Showcase
I'm older, not as stout as I was on the farm, so the extra hand came in..........................handy. LOL
Well... I'm 51 but I look stunningly 40... and we're all getting up there... ;)

Advertisement

Superchips Flashcal Programmer out for JL Wrangler

Advertisement