Installed the Rusty’s front track bar mount bracket

jmr2018

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, 1971 Super Bug Convrt.
does anyone know if the warranty will be void if the bracket is installed?
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
does anyone know if the warranty will be void if the bracket is installed?
Common misconception is that anything you do voids warranty. For example, if you take in your Vehicle for an engine claim and they say oh its because you put a trackbar bracket, they can't do that.

Now if you took your vehicle in for say a trackbar mount issue and they see you have the Rusty's Bracket then I can see where they may question it. In other words they have to prove that what you did directly resulted in the claim your taking your vehicle in for.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone who's already installed this... I ask this with the full understanding of the safety concern to do this sooner, especially if your JL is your daily driver.

If it turns out your vehicle requires the recall work, do you intend to remove the bracket prior to getting it done, or would you trust the dealer to remove it? Since it's not OEM, are you charged for labor if they did? I thought I read something about removing it in the recall thread, but it's nearing 1k posts.

I have my Rusty's, but I haven't installed it yet since I'm waiting to see whether or not I'd actually need the work. It's not my dd, so no rush to install.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
For anyone who's already installed this... I ask this with the full understanding of the safety concern to do this sooner, especially if your JL is your daily driver.

If it turns out your vehicle requires the recall work, do you intend to remove the bracket prior to getting it done, or would you trust the dealer to remove it? Since it's not OEM, are you charged for labor if they did? I thought I read something about removing it in the recall thread, but it's nearing 1k posts.

I have my Rusty's, but I haven't installed it yet since I'm waiting to see whether or not I'd actually need the work. It's not my dd, so no rush to install.
I would wait until they take the pictures. The brace will need to be off to see the welds. If you feel your welds are ok, you can probably put the brace on after the pictures are taken if your dealer gives your Jeep back. They are supposed to hold the Jeep until they hear from FCA, but some dealers are giving the Jeep back after submitting pictures.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
This is why I was hoping I could read my frames build date. Since I can’t I’m going to probably remove and take to dealer. But I’m tempted to just forget about recall all together as honestly all my worlds are perfect.

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
When you remove the 4 bolts on the steering box do the nuts on the opposite side come off as well or are they fixed to the steering box?

Also anybody have instructions for how you are recentering the steering wheel if it ends up off center?

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
When you remove the 4 bolts on the steering box do the nuts on the opposite side come off as well or are they fixed to the steering box?

Also anybody have instructions for how you are recentering the steering wheel if it ends up off center?
The nuts are NOT captivated to the steering box & there are some tips on centering after install on pages 2 & 3 of this thread.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
i'm considering getting this bracket and modify it slightly.......... since the top bolt inside the spring perch is hardest to get to... and removing all 4 bolts results in the steering box moving from the stock position, thus requiring drag link or track bar adjustment..........I was thinking..........

The bracket is more than rugged enough that 3 bolts holding it to the frame will still be adequate and still provide improved support. So i was thinking if the bracket were cut out enough at the upper right allowing it to fit on without removing the upper bolt inside the spring perch........then that bolt could be left on.....thus holding the gearbox in place while removing the other 3 bolts and eliminating moving the gearbox. The bracket would still improve support rather than leaving it stock and possibly eliminate needing adjustment.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
i'm considering getting this bracket and modify it slightly.......... since the top bolt inside the spring perch is hardest to get to... and removing all 4 bolts results in the steering box moving from the stock position, thus requiring drag link or track bar adjustment..........I was thinking..........

The bracket is more than rugged enough that 3 bolts holding it to the frame will still be adequate and still provide improved support. So i was thinking if the bracket were cut out enough at the upper right allowing it to fit on without removing the upper bolt inside the spring perch........then that bolt could be left on.....thus holding the gearbox in place while removing the other 3 bolts and eliminating moving the gearbox. The bracket would still improve support rather than leaving it stock and possibly eliminate needing adjustment.
Why not install it as designed and get the full benefit? Scribe around the steering box if you have to (touch-up paint after) so you have a reference point to minimize adjustment perhaps if youre trying to find some easy way around having to do a simple adjustment, but cutting a leg off the bracket is just nuts IMNSHO!

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Ya it’s not hard at all to do. I was able to get all the bolts the one behind spring I just had to have some9n bounce on bumper and I was able to wriggle it out.

Sponsored

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Installed mine with no issues, but put it up on a lift to do the install, required no steering adjustment and was super easy to access everything

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Did anyone take notice of what size (length and diameter) the bolts were and what thread pitch? I am considering doing this but will probably upgrade to a grade 8 hardware

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU