Installed the Rusty’s front track bar mount bracket

4LowPhoto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I just did mine right now. The hardest part was getting the top bolt on the side closest to spring. I had to pull down on bumper to c9mpress spring to slide bolt out. The rest was piece of cake. Mine didn’t change the steering. It stayed straight. I turned wheel so I could break the steering box bolts loose then I straightened wheels and removed bolts completely.

As for the bracket, everything lined up perfectly. Didn’t have to use a hammer :)

Have a buddy hop in the driver seat, that helped us lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gadgetguru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Just got mine, haven't installed it yet. Impressed with the bracket. Very heavy duty and well made!

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I take back what I said about steering being ok. Mine was also off 5-7 degrees to left also. Kind of weird as technically it’s using same trackbar mounting holes as factory.

Last edited:

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I take back what I said about steering being ok. Mine was also off 5-7 degrees to left also. Kind of weird as technically it’s using same travesty mouting holes as factory.
This is so interesting to me , i’m getting that bracket and soon as I get my 19 JL going to figure out what’s going on with this steering wheel thing. Lol
If your steering wheel is off to the left that means somehow the track bar is shorter now. Or another way to look at it is your steering link is too long now so you’re having to turn the wheel left to compensate so you would adjust the steering coupler tighter which would shorten that link and straighten your wheel now how is that happening. , I don’t know yet.

Sponsored

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Installed mine over the weekend. My steering wheel was off to the left by a couple degrees as well. However, my trackbar brace did not perfectly match the holes on the factory brace. They were about 1-2mm too far towards the driver's side of the vehicle. This would make sense why my steering wheel turned to the left.

FYI - I ended up having to file the factory holes a little bit to get the bolt to go through. Luckily I have an adjustable track bar, so I lengthened it a bit.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Installed mine over the weekend. My steering wheel was off to the left by a couple degrees as well. However, my trackbar brace did not perfectly match the holes on the factory brace. They were about 1-2mm too far towards the driver's side of the vehicle. This would make sense why my steering wheel turned to the left.

FYI - I ended up having to file the factory holes a little bit to get the bolt to go through. Luckily I have an adjustable track bar, so I lengthened it a bit.
Mine barely didn't line up either but i just had to do a little wiggle of the jeep and it went it no problem.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Well with this added information that makes sense if the track bar is not lining up and you’re wiggling the track bar to make it work then the track bar is moving to the left and moving the steering wheel with it. The track bar on these wranglers are already a little short so now with any lift the track bar is going to be super short with this Rustys track bar bracket so we need Rustys adjustable tracking bar to center the axle under the frame.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Well with this added information that makes sense if the track bar is not lining up and you’re wiggling the track bar to make it work then the track bar is moving to the left and moving the steering wheel with it. The track bar on these wranglers are already a little short so now with any lift the track bar is going to be super short with this Rustys track bar bracket so we need Rustys adjustable tracking bar to center the axle under the frame.
But there is no lift. You literally install the Rusty's Bracket over the factory one. In theory no geometry should really be changing. When I say I had to wiggle the jeep It was like barely. I just don't see how that threat things off 5-7 degrees but oh well it did. The only thing I can think off is the Rusty's Bracket after being torqued down is actually applying pressure unevenly somewhere pushing either the actually BOLT or section where trackbar mounts off a tad. Who knows.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
But there is no lift. You literally install the Rusty's Bracket over the factory one. In theory no geometry should really be changing. When I say I had to wiggle the jeep It was like barely. I just don't see how that threat things off 5-7 degrees but oh well it did. The only thing I can think off is the Rusty's Bracket after being torqued down is actually applying pressure unevenly somewhere pushing either the actually BOLT or section where trackbar mounts off a tad. Who knows.
I understand, may have worded it incorrectly. was trying to say that they’re already on short side stock then with this tracking bar bracket it makes it shorter and then when you lift it it’s triple short.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
If the Rustys bracket is changing the track bar location and is hard to install on some vehicles and not on others the factory tracking bar bracket or Rustys must be in slightly different locations. We’ve been hearing about these bad frame welds could some track bar brackets be moving a little?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
If the Rustys bracket is changing the track bar location and is hard to install on some vehicles and not on others the factory tracking bar bracket or Rustys must be in slightly different locations. We’ve been hearing about these bad frame welds could some track bar brackets be moving a little?
I would think that Rusty's brackets are pretty consistent. They are laser cut from 1/4" plate and the pieces interlock. They are probably also welded in a jig. That being said, you do have to remove all the bolts holding the steering box on. My guess is there is some play in those bolt holes, so it's possible the steering box isn't going back in the exact same location. This would necessitate a different position of the pitman arm when the wheels are straight, which could cause the steering wheel to be off a bit.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
thats my thinking as well. The Holes in the frame are probably way bigger than the bolt that holds the steering box. So there probably is some slight shifting.