Installed the Rusty’s front track bar mount bracket

thefrog

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6 speed manual
I know this is a pretty old thread but my mounting bracket has been sitting in storage for over a year. Couldn't install it for health reasons but I'm almost recovered and ready to give it a go. My only question is, does it really require an additional pair of hands as stated in the instructions for lining up, or keeping aligned, the steering box mounting holes? I won't have a helper for this job...
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is a pretty old thread but my mounting bracket has been sitting in storage for over a year. Couldn't install it for health reasons but I'm almost recovered and ready to give it a go. My only question is, does it really require an additional pair of hands as stated in the instructions for lining up, or keeping aligned, the steering box mounting holes? I won't have a helper for this job...

I installed this about a month ago... it's something you can do without a helper, depending upon your physical capabilities. The vehicle will remain on the ground.

I had to jack the driver side up a bit to expand the coil spring a little to get a socket to fit securely on the rear-most steering box bolts. But the tire stayed on the ground.

The steering box will move out of place, but can be realigned pretty easily. The mention of a a second person is typically for ease of installation; possibly even liability.

See post # 32,086 > > > Rusty's track bar brace

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I installed this about a month ago... it's something you can do without a helper, depending upon your physical capabilities. The vehicle will remain on the ground.

I had to jack the driver side up a bit to get a socket to fit securely on the rear-most steering box bolts since the spring made it a little tricky. But the tires stayed on the ground.

The steering box will move a bit, but can be realigned pretty easily. The mention of a a second person is typically for ease of installation; possibly even liability.

See post # 32,086 > > > Rusty's track bar brace
The problem of doing this by yourself is holding up the steering gear box while holding the bracket and lining up the bolts. A second person will really keep you from having a high speed come apart when trying to hold all that weight and install the bolts.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
The problem of doing this by yourself is holding up the steering gear box while holding the bracket and lining up the bolts. A second person will really keep you from having a high speed come apart when trying to hold all that weight and install the bolts.
I totally understand... but this was seamless for me. I considered sticking a wood block underneath to keep it from shifting, but it wasn't necessary.

Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I totally understand... but this was seamless for me. I considered sticking a wood block underneath to keep it from shifting, but it wasn't necessary.
I'm older, not as stout as I was on the farm, so the extra hand came in..........................handy. LOL

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I'm older, not as stout as I was on the farm, so the extra hand came in..........................handy. LOL
Well... I'm 51 but I look stunningly 40... and we're all getting up there... ;)

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I did this but upgraded the bolts with the longer ones that synergy sells with their kit since I have the steel steering box.

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Two weekends ago I install my Rusty's Track Bar Brace. The install went well with the most difficult for me being the bolt in the middle of the brace. I waited to give feedback on this until I was able to drive with it in more conditions. I do feel this tightened up my steering. My steering wheel is off to the left a little but I will adjust that soon.

The issue I ran into today when driving was when I hit a big bump while braking and going down hill. When the suspension compressed the Track Bar bolt hit the axle tube!

I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon with the steel steering gearbox. I do have the longer Mopar lift lower control arms on it.

Has anybody else run into this issue?

Last edited:

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Two weekends ago I install my Rusty's Track Bar Brace. The install went well with the most difficult for me being the bolt in the middle of the brace. I waited to give feedback on this until I was able to drive with it in more conditions. I do feel this tightened up my steering. My steering wheel is off to the left a little but I will adjust that soon.

The issue I ran into today when driving was when I hit a big bump while braking and going down hill. When the suspension compressed the Track Bar bolt hit the axle tube!

I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon with the steel steering gearbox. I do have the 3/4 inch longer Mopar lift lower control arms on it.

I hope the bolt didn't get bent, could make it a bear to get apart again!

Sponsored

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
I didn't think about that but agree. I'm going to try and get under there and see if I can just shorten the bolt with a cutoff wheel or sawmill. Before I do that I'll compare the length with the factor bolt.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't think about that but agree. I'm going to try and get under there and see if I can just shorten the bolt with a cutoff wheel or sawmill. Before I do that I'll compare the length with the factor bolt.
Take a look at that axle tube too and let us know how it goes. You may have to go at it with a Dremel tool using a cut-off wheel as space is limited.

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Take a look at that axle tube too and let us know how it goes. You may have to go at it with a Dremel tool using a cut-off wheel as space is limited.
The axle tube does have a slight mark from where the bot contacted but nothing I think I need to worry about.

The bot doesn't appear to be bent.

I had time on Saturday to work on this. I was able to get the bolt out with all others at full tight but wasn't able to push it back in afterwards. Seems once you tighten all of this down it pulls on the factory mount causing misalignment between the brace and factory mount, at least on mine.

What I found was that the Rustys bolt was about 1/2 inch longer than the original. I had bought a bolt kit from Northridege with shanks and hadn't used them for the track bars yet. I grabbed one of those and its about the same length as stock. I reinstalled everything using this bolt to see how well that fit. After doing so and walking away for a bit I'm thinking twice about leaving it. What I need is a bolt thats about 1/8 to 1/4 inch longer than stock. I may just go buy one or cut the Rusty's one on the bench and do it again. Its a PITA to undo everything but I want it right. Should be fun cutting a Grade 8 bolt!

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The axle tube does have a slight mark from where the bot contacted but nothing I think I need to worry about.

The bot doesn't appear to be bent.

I had time on Saturday to work on this. I was able to get the bolt out with all others at full tight but wasn't able to push it back in afterwards. Seems once you tighten all of this down it pulls on the factory mount causing misalignment between the brace and factory mount, at least on mine.

What I found was that the Rustys bolt was about 1/2 inch longer than the original. I had bought a bolt kit from Northridege with shanks and hadn't used them for the track bars yet. I grabbed one of those and its about the same length as stock. I reinstalled everything using this bolt to see how well that fit. After doing so and walking away for a bit I'm thinking twice about leaving it. What I need is a bolt thats about 1/8 to 1/4 inch longer than stock. I may just go buy one or cut the Rusty's one on the bench and do it again. Its a PITA to undo everything but I want it right. Should be fun cutting a Grade 8 bolt!
Use a cut off wheel, it wont really care what grade the bolt is:)

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon with the steel steering gearbox. I do have the longer Mopar lift lower control arms on it.

Mine did, take it out and install it the other way around with the bolt head towards the back of the jeep and nut forward. Works fine and hits nothing then.
Sponsored